U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-13-2014, 04:45 PM
 
4,659 posts, read 4,802,835 times
Reputation: 4168

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
By the time they got to university, though, they'd stopped wearing makeup. Most of the university women in the 80's, at least those in the Pacific NW and Bay Area, didn't wear makeup, and did look like kids. Looking older wasn't on anyone's mind. Going to classes and enjoying their freedom, this first step into adulthood, was.
Where I went to college (Nevada-Las Vegas) all the girls wore tons of makeup. They also had big hair...had the total 80s look. As artificial as can be and I loved it...it was a utopia to be in that type of atmosphere.By college age the girls were not so much trying to look older, they were trying to look as hot as can be and makeup was part of the polished package.

You might think this went on because it was Las Vegas. Yet I'm confident if I walked on the UNLV campus today I would see much more plain women compared to the 80s. Toning down sexiness for women is a major trend nationally sad to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2014, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
24,427 posts, read 15,759,714 times
Reputation: 35919
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
You've completely missed my point.

Do me a favor: read my post #90. In it, I specifically say that I don't care whether a woman wears makeup or not. My point was, I don't understand why INSECURE (READ: I'm excluding the ones who put on makeup for fun/other reasons...I'm ONLY talking about the ones who do it ONLY to appease others) women wear makeup to pander to the likes of men/society. They can do whatever they want. It just goes against part of the idea of feminism: that is, to be empowered and not to "submit" to the desires of men/society. I mentioned Candace Cameron Bure because many women on this board were outraged that she "submits" to her husband, yet some women willingly "submit" to the standards of beauty because they feel "pressured." It's hypocritical.

Also, if you're going to get on someone for being judgmental, get on your fellow female posters who says that certain women NEED makeup.
Whose to say women do or don't wear makeup because they are insecure? That's a judgement call by you right?

My post was a response to your complaint that women wear too much makeup, even though they should think of themselves a different way. That sounds like judgement to me. However, if you feel strongly that I missed your point, you might explain better why I have.

Plenty of women don't wear makeup, as evidenced by posts on this thread. Are they more liberated than I am, based on that one factor? IMO what makes women empowered/liberated/free is the chance to choose how they want to present themselves. And I note, that several women have posted that they and most of their friends do not wear makeup. So are they "submitting" to peer pressure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 04:55 PM
hvl
 
403 posts, read 452,412 times
Reputation: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
The make-up companies and the advertising companies have somehow convinced most women and most men that they (the women) look better with make-up. Over the years, more and more make-up seems to be the norm. Nowadays, to me, many women don't even look real. They could save a lot of time putting on make-up by simply wearing a plastic mask.
IMO, women look just fine in their natural state. I might add before someone comments that like men shaving, women should should too.
Come on. They had makeup even in ancient Egypt.
Even among hunter gatherers, women often wear some kind of makeup although it's often quite different from the modern type that women around us use. I mean that it's hardly something that capitalist companies and the media just came up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 04:57 PM
hvl
 
403 posts, read 452,412 times
Reputation: 443
No makeup or the natural look is quite popular in some regions and among some demographics.
In other regions, it seems that the clownface look is what works and is expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
24,427 posts, read 15,759,714 times
Reputation: 35919
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Yes! I wish someone would have shown me the ropes because I never really learned how to do it. When I try to put on eyeshadow, blush, liner, bronzer, whatever, I just feel that it looks wrong and stupid and i just wash it off. At this point I doubt I'll ever know how to do it right - but I am awed by those who know how to do it well, like that second before and after lady with the flowing red hair. I wish I could learn her techniques and look like a goddess.
In my experience (almost a lifetime of wearing makeup of some sort) what you put on your face changes as you change. I wear less now than I did when I worked, and usually it is more carefully applied because I generally have more time. If you want to learn how to enhance your face, then go to Ulta or Sephora, and ask for a consult. Explain that you want less enhancing, not more! See if you can learn how to do this for yourself. You may ultimately decide it is not worth the trouble for you, but maybe you will like it very well. You don't know until you try.

I have transitioned to Revlon's primer, which is a light oil-based primer that miraculously matches my skin. (light tone) I like it better than any makeup I have ever used, and I almost always use it alone. It evens out my skin tone and is a great base for a touch of blush. You don't have to use a lot of anything to get good results. And it doesn't have to take a long time to do either. And honestly, it isn't that hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 05:18 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
81,029 posts, read 74,154,431 times
Reputation: 80752
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Whose to say women do or don't wear makeup because they are insecure? That's a judgement call by you right?

My post was a response to your complaint that women wear too much makeup, even though they should think of themselves a different way. That sounds like judgement to me. However, if you feel strongly that I missed your point, you might explain better why I have.

Plenty of women don't wear makeup, as evidenced by posts on this thread. Are they more liberated than I am, based on that one factor? IMO what makes women empowered/liberated/free is the chance to choose how they want to present themselves. And I note, that several women have posted that they and most of their friends do not wear makeup. So are they "submitting" to peer pressure?
For the women I know in various cities/states, it's not about being "liberated" nor submitting to peer pressure. Some women simply weren't raised in families/neighborhoods where women used makeup. Their role models were makeup-free, everyone in their environment was makeup-free, so it was something that simply wasn't on their radar. The culture in their immediate surroundings wasn't a make-up culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 06:24 PM
 
Location: New England
693 posts, read 895,854 times
Reputation: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
No makeup or the natural look is quite popular in some regions and among some demographics.
In other regions, it seems that the clownface look is what works and is expected.
I wonder about this too. It would be interesting to see a map or a listing of cities with the per-capita annual spending rate on cosmetics--I bet there would be some serious variations. It might explain why someone from X City might think a woman without makeup is just a step away from being naked, and over in Y City, they'd just shrug and say nobody needs cosmetics at all. I think in New England we tend to be on the don't-need-it side, but maybe that's just my immediate neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Queens, NY
842 posts, read 946,550 times
Reputation: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Whose to say women do or don't wear makeup because they are insecure? That's a judgement call by you right?

My post was a response to your complaint that women wear too much makeup, even though they should think of themselves a different way. That sounds like judgement to me. However, if you feel strongly that I missed your point, you might explain better why I have.
Once again

You are obviously putting words in my mouth now. I've never said ALL women who put on makeup were insecure. In fact, I've said a few times that I was excluding those who do it for fun/other reasons. Also, I already explained why you missed my point...once again, read post #90. Where did I ever complain that women wear too much makeup? In fact, here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
Personally, I don't care whether a woman wears makeup or not. I'm sure some are insecure while others do it for fun/other personal reasons. What I'm confused with is why are some of the women here quick to jump on a man if he liked her without makeup? I thought many women complained that men were too visual . Now it seems that a man would be criticized for not being visual? I'm convinced the responses would be the same outcome if a male poster proclaimed that all women should wear makeup, that is, attack mode on.

For the ones saying, 'We're still wearing concealer...you don't know anything...blah blah blah', I understand, while out and about, it may be harder for us to tell. However, plenty of men wake up to girlfriends/wives sans makeup everyday. In my prior relationships, I thought my girlfriends were gorgeous without it. My last ex only used to put on lip gloss when out and I still thought she was the most stunning woman ever.
I ask again, where did I say ALL women were insecure for wearing makeup? Where did I complain that women wore too much makeup? You're not reading what I'm writing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Plenty of women don't wear makeup, as evidenced by posts on this thread. Are they more liberated than I am, based on that one factor? IMO what makes women empowered/liberated/free is the chance to choose how they want to present themselves. And I note, that several women have posted that they and most of their friends do not wear makeup. So are they "submitting" to peer pressure?
If you actually tried to listen to what I was saying, I was making the point that women who pander to society's whims are less empowered than others. Nobody puts a gun to your head and says "Wear makeup or die." You have free will. Note that I'M ONLY TALKING ABOUT WOMEN WHO ARE AGAINST MAKEUP AND THE SUPPOSED STANDARDS OF BEAUTY IMPOSED ON THEM. If one strongly believes against it, just don't do it.

Last edited by rs4 fan; 01-13-2014 at 06:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Southeast Michigan
1,265 posts, read 1,048,641 times
Reputation: 1526
Whether or not a woman wears make-up should depend on how it makes her feel. If she feels lousy without it, for whatever the reason, she should wear some. The people I feel concern for are the ones who fret too much about their makeup and what others might think about it. It generally matters a lot less than they think, when it comes to people who really matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C.
555 posts, read 989,088 times
Reputation: 774
fresh faced women are gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top