U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 11:14 PM

453 posts, read 533,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
Who are these people who have others asking them if they're "okay" or "sick"? I wear, if anything, only the occasional concealer to cover a particularly red zit. I'm in my 30s, and I've never worn makeup other than concealer every once in a while. I can't imagine anyone, family or otherwise, asking me if I was unwell because I was unmade up, and I'd be very cold to anyone who attempted to be so unnecessarily personal as to ask about my appearance.
When people look at someone who is extremely pale, or who has major red blotches (not zits, but blotches, like capillaries and stuff) or who has very dark circles under their eyes, they often do think the person looks like they may not feel well. It's even more likely when they actually are acquainted with that person and are accustomed to seeing her with makeup on.

I have very pale, rather translucent skin. I also have some blotches (capillaries very close to the skin surface, courtesy of a cheekbone fracture in my youth) and as young as 18 I had dark under-eye circles even after a full night's sleep (some people just do). I've gone into the office a few times without makeup on days I've overslept, and every single time at least one co-worker asked me if I was feeling all right.

I don't like to go in without makeup anymore, because that question is just too much of a hassle to deal with. So at the very least I'll apply foundation, concealer and powder before I leave the house. Once I've done that, I just look like I'm not wearing makeup, NOT like I'm auditioning for the latest zombie film.

Last edited by Kineticity; 01-16-2014 at 11:23 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 12:01 AM

1,426 posts, read 1,971,024 times
To all the men...I wear make up and I don't have implants! IF I ever resort to surgical methods to enhance my appearance I can assure you I won't blow it on such nonsense as breasts.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:50 AM

29 posts, read 38,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I hear you. they should save the money on all that make up and get themselves some breast implants.
Aman to that!

Old 01-17-2014, 08:53 AM

24,839 posts, read 33,053,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I hear you. they should save the money on all that make up and get themselves some breast implants.
I did just that.....

No one looks at my face anyway......

Old 01-17-2014, 10:21 AM

325 posts, read 552,133 times
I'm just baffled by some of the postings here and I keep wondering why some women feel like they have to explain why they sometimes have to wear make up or why they used to

Looks like this thread has been successful in making some of you ladies feel bad about wearing makeup
You need to know that there's absolutely nothing wrong with putting on just enough make up. Do not let threads like this one make you doubt that for one moment.
The author obviously, has absolutely no idea what the heck he's talking about jeez!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 AM

27,330 posts, read 30,540,296 times
I got the Iman BB creme actually. It is OK, but it didn't have sunscreen. (Now there is a sunscreen option, this must be super new as I bought the BB in September). The color is pretty good. But the thing is, I am the darkest shade in the BB cream, I am at the "chocolate" end of the spectrum, and there are many people several shades darker than me. What on earth do they get? I am the darkest shade in just about every mainstream brand out there besides coverfx where they have one shade above me. It is crazy!

I really want a CC cream.... A few months ago, I did the rounds at the drugstores, Sephora and department stores. After trying a 12+ products, only 2 were near the right shade. One ended up looking to sallow on me. The Iman was good but didn't offer the skin care benefits I wanted (I got it as I needed a better matching foundation anyway). The sales people all kept trying to get me to go for tinted moisturizers since CCs and BBs don't really exist for my skin tone. If I was a couple shades lighter there would have been more options. And that is just ridiculous.

What is also really annoying, is that I'd love to get more natural/presevative free makeup but there are zero options. It is all a tradeoff.

It really sucks that 3 years after the trend started, they are still ignoring women of color.......

Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 AM

6,183 posts, read 7,555,511 times
Wearing foundation has the extra benefit of blocking some of the sun's rays from the face and neck, especially the newer makeup that has built-in UV protection. Compare the 45 year old natural looking face of the avid jogger or boater with the more dressy less active woman, and you will see a difference almost every time. It does more than cover up imperfections.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:24 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,041,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
Who are these people who have others asking them if they're "okay" or "sick"? I wear, if anything, only the occasional concealer to cover a particularly red zit. I'm in my 30s, and I've never worn makeup other than concealer every once in a while. I can't imagine anyone, family or otherwise, asking me if I was unwell because I was unmade up, and I'd be very cold to anyone who attempted to be so unnecessarily personal as to ask about my appearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
When people look at someone who is extremely pale, or who has major red blotches (not zits, but blotches, like capillaries and stuff) or who has very dark circles under their eyes, they often do think the person looks like they may not feel well. It's even more likely when they actually are acquainted with that person and are accustomed to seeing her with makeup on.

I have very pale, rather translucent skin. I also have some blotches (capillaries very close to the skin surface, courtesy of a cheekbone fracture in my youth) and as young as 18 I had dark under-eye circles even after a full night's sleep (some people just do). I've gone into the office a few times without makeup on days I've overslept, and every single time at least one co-worker asked me if I was feeling all right.

I don't like to go in without makeup anymore, because that question is just too much of a hassle to deal with. So at the very least I'll apply foundation, concealer and powder before I leave the house. Once I've done that, I just look like I'm not wearing makeup, NOT like I'm auditioning for the latest zombie film.
LOL, when I was in high school, I would occasionally take advantage of the way I look without makeup to play sick. I also have very pale, translucent skin and the dark under eye circles.

I figured out that if I went to school with a totally naked face, I'd get sent to the nurses office and could go home.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:39 PM

4,648 posts, read 4,797,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
I bet even natural-born (non-internet) trolls are embarrassed by this post.
I have posted on here since 2007...hardly a troll.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:40 PM

13,138 posts, read 13,181,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
Ooh...ooh...I'll answer.

Cuz some of us don't want to...that's why.

Why do men think that everything a woman does or doesn't do has to revolve around what they (men) like/don't like?

Some women simply don't give the sweat off of a rat's a** what men think about how we run our lives. I know that's a foreign concept for some to grasp, but it's true.
Men have a hard time believing that women wear makeup for men. It seems to be more of a female thing. They wear makeup because, if they don't, other women will make catty comments about them. Women train their daughters to always put their face on before going out in public. You can't blame that level of insanity on men. Women made that up all by themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty