U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 01:41 PM

148 posts, read 228,242 times

Advertisements

A lot of it has to do with what the media has done. Sadly, compared to the photoshopped celebs we see, the average woman is really unattractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 02:25 PM

453 posts, read 534,289 times
Most of us don't compare ourselves to photoshopped celebrities.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:18 PM

5,962 posts, read 5,121,508 times
Speaking from a man's point of view.
Some times the compliments are given on the basis of what he thinks she wants compliments on.
With out asking me , once my wife curled her hair like you see in old french movies and assumed I'd like it, for all the work she put into it.
How do you answer this, when quite honestly, it didn't appeal to me at all ?
After a while she learned that she did not need a lot of primping , but it didn't take long for the criticism of other women to revert to heavier makeup.
Who am I to argue, I am out voted.
This was especially true when she got into sales and commission income is significant.
Women are pressured to be dolls for the company profit .

Old 01-19-2014, 05:21 PM

24,595 posts, read 15,848,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
Well I certainly don't pore over celebrity pics trying to figure out how to look like them.

A lot of celebrities (certainly not all) look more like cartoon characters, than actual people. Network TV shows populate their shows with young, thin, buff beauties/hunks with very expensive hair. Most of us don't look that way. And it is unusual to find one person that perfect in our lives, let alone an entire population of acquaintances that do. Very unrealistic.

But these portrayals are always in the background of our experience, whether we spend a lot of time with them or not. We become conscious or our imperfections whenever we tune in or view a movie. Or when we read websites devoted to such. It is hard for this view of perfection not to seep into our consciousness. I really feel badly for young women and men. Those of us who are older have probably come to acceptance of some things about ourselves. But younger people who are forming body images of themselves have a harder time.

Even in the fifties though, I was unconsciously aware that I didn't measure up to norms. It has taken me a long time to understand that basic assumptions about appearance have influenced me a great deal. But back to the makeup question: as far as I'm concerned its a live and let live situation. But I don't understand the hatred toward those of use who wear. And we should understand that there will always be those who wear it better than others, the same way there will always be some who wear it worst. Get over it people!

Old 01-19-2014, 05:33 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,068,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
God, my mom's smoking, as well as sun exposure from gardening and yard work, has aged her so horribly...it's such a shame. She is early sixties, but her skin looks at least a decade older than it is.
My mom died shortly after turning sixty two, but looked twenty years older. But she smoked so much she managed to kill herself. And all women of her age did lots of sun.

I'm going to be sixty two soon. People tell me I look ten years younger, at least. Never smoked, in fact and ultra against it. And about thirty years ago had surgery which makes me dehyrate too fast and sun makes me feel sick. I think in an odd way that had a nice bonus package which plays out now.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:07 PM

24,595 posts, read 15,848,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My mom died shortly after turning sixty two, but looked twenty years older. But she smoked so much she managed to kill herself. And all women of her age did lots of sun.

I'm going to be sixty two soon. People tell me I look ten years younger, at least. Never smoked, in fact and ultra against it. And about thirty years ago had surgery which makes me dehyrate too fast and sun makes me feel sick. I think in an odd way that had a nice bonus package which plays out now.
So sorry about your mom. I am not a sun lover or smoker either. I have never smoked.

But isn't it great to feel that you look younger than you really are?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:12 AM

33,176 posts, read 34,130,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just can't understand why women can't just go natural and not put anything on their faces. Men do not like women with clown looking faces. Just a lip gloss is good enough. This has to be a major insecurity that almost all women have to put something on before they go out.
I agree that women shouldn't need to wear make-up except that socially it is acceptable. So a woman that doesn't wear any, others think that she doesn't take care of herself properly.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:30 PM

129 posts, read 221,831 times
I don't mind if a woman wants to wear makeup. I think it can enhance certain features, but I wouldn't want her to wear so much where she looks completely different without it. Makeup is fine by me if she can do it well.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:35 PM

81,201 posts, read 74,353,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I hear you. they should save the money on all that make up and get themselves some breast implants.
So, you like hard boobs that are only good for looking at? Whatever...

Old 01-23-2014, 10:39 PM

81,201 posts, read 74,353,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
Teens do, unfortunately. And the result can be low self-esteem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty