U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-05-2014, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,116 posts, read 27,198,027 times
Reputation: 16267

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley868 View Post
I have to. I feel very insecure without makeup. I've been getting made fun of for years because I am ugly. I don't get ugly comments as much when I wear makeup. So I figure the only way I look good is with makeup and I am hideous without.
That's pretty much how I feel, except I rarely wear makeup. I get told I look tired, or asked if I'm sick and I got made fun of for being ugly quite a bit growing up. When I wear makeup it does die down quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoStacey View Post
This girl at my job wears too much makeup and I want to tell her without offending her
leave the makeup to the clowns
just make your makeup look natural
It's none of your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2014, 08:20 AM
 
1,266 posts, read 1,572,895 times
Reputation: 3375
I live in Mexico City for part of the year--and despite what you see on Mexican television shows (novelas, news readers, tv show hostesses all dolled up with gobs of make-up and boob jobs), the majority of women I see everyday do not wear make-up at all. Make up is very expensive here, so my guess is that the average to poor Mexican woman (especially indigenous peoples) cannot afford to buy it. And guess what? They, as a rule, are stunningly beautiful without makeup (yes, I know about the exceptions). All in all it's the olive to darker skin, wide almond-shaped eyes, full lips, bright smiles, good complexions, natural full eyebrows and lashes, luxurious & thick shiny hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 01:46 AM
 
Location: MN
1,305 posts, read 1,446,429 times
Reputation: 1589
I still can't believe there are some people still going off about how women need to stop wearing makeup.

As I've gotten older, I am starting to realize I can't pull off the "fresh-faced" look anymore. I do all the right things-- eat healthily, avoid sunburn, drink water, get enough sleep (mostly), etc. Yet for all my efforts now that I am getting past that age where your skin REALLY starts to change, I am going to have to incorporate makeup into my routine. Before, I used to get away with the light makeup and barely there look literally taking a minute to do. There's a lot of arguments about "frauding men" to which I'd like to pose a few questions.

My skin is darker and I'm prone to getting discolorations due to health issues and have dark patches. They aren't too noticeable but I already know some of those patches are going to get really bad unless I use some products-- but I don't have the money for that right now. A lot of other women are in a similar boat-- they have severe acne scars, rosacea, very noticeably blotchy skin, less than attractive birthmarks, etc. A lot of women who have these issues wear makeup because it gives them a sense of security to know people will be looking at them, and not their weird birthmark, acne scars, melasma, etc. No one wants to be looked at like a leper. It has nothing to do with frauding men or wanting to look like a clown. For a lot of women, wearing makeup has a functional purpose or else they wouldn't be able to be confident without it.

Really guys, are you telling me if you met a woman who was average to slightly above average (the typical looks for women in the general population) who had some acne scars, or really dark patches on her face you wouldn't mind and would still find her attractive? Take the same woman and have her wear makeup to cover up the scars and dark patches. I bet you anything you'd find her significantly more attractive and you wouldn't be paying attention to her flaws. Some men might see this as fraud but the truth is a lot a men wouldn't approach those women because they would automatically be pushed into "ugly" or unattractive and get passed up for some other woman instead. Of course, the other woman would probably be able to wear makeup in a way that looks very light and natural.

Unless I can find a fix to my skin problem, I will need to wear makeup on a daily basis if I go out in public. I'm still not a fan of the full face and prefer spot covering. But I know what people would pay attention to on my face and that's just admitting the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 09:20 AM
 
392 posts, read 298,037 times
Reputation: 476
Woman are under such pressure to be MORE that a natural woman that most are to damned stressed and can not relax. Woman are God's best invention...they should realize that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 11:04 AM
 
Location: MN
1,305 posts, read 1,446,429 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Bachlow View Post
Woman are under such pressure to be MORE that a natural woman that most are to damned stressed and can not relax. Woman are God's best invention...they should realize that....
LOL I'll take the compliment.

I believe people aren't entirely willing to admit we ALL have expectations about beauty, and just because men claim they prefer "natural" women doesn't mean they don't have standards, either. IME, a lot of men who want natural would find issues with facial flaws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 12:05 PM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
3,079 posts, read 2,489,119 times
Reputation: 1983
Yes, they/we would. Most of us want naturally attractive women, just as most women want naturally attractive men. When we talk against makeup, we're not talking about older women (whom we don't particularly want and understandably often 'need' makeup). Nor are we saying zero makeup. The outcry is mostly against makeup-enhanced women who are trashy and/or demanding and probably won't be trusted to age well.

The frustrating part is that many women aren't making the most of their natural beauty, because they don't take great care of themselves. Do that, and there will be less reason to use makeup. Or use more permanent cosmetic fixes (e.g., skin treatments) - most guys won't mind, unless it's obvious permanent makeup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 12:25 PM
 
Location: MN
1,305 posts, read 1,446,429 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Yes, they/we would. Most of us want naturally attractive women, just as most women want naturally attractive men. When we talk against makeup, we're not talking about older women (whom we don't particularly want and understandably often 'need' makeup). Nor are we saying zero makeup. The outcry is mostly against makeup-enhanced women who are trashy and/or demanding and probably won't be trusted to age well.

The frustrating part is that many women aren't making the most of their natural beauty, because they don't take great care of themselves. Do that, and there will be less reason to use makeup. Or use more permanent cosmetic fixes (e.g., skin treatments) - most guys won't mind, unless it's obvious permanent makeup.
Those women are a completely different pool of women compared to the women who wear makeup for work, special occasions, etc. but are minimalistic otherwise. The prevailing attitude I see here is women should stop wearing makeup period, or else you are a fraud.

Men in general are going to have an easier time being "naturally attractive." They don't wear makeup, hardly dye their hair, can gain muscle mass and lose weight more easily than women, and even wearing their hair differently and sprucing up their wardrobe makes a huge difference. There is more of an emphasis on the quality of a woman's face, which is more difficult and more of a precarious place to alter. The main point I'm driving here is you can't find a woman with the entire package because guess what, she'll be looking for a man who's the same. Most women are reasonably attractive, but have varying levels of flaws and if some women decide to use a little dab of foundation here and there to diminish what they are, I don't see why it's a problem. A woman could have a very pretty face with nice skin and bone structure but all it takes is a scar on the right part of her face to suddenly make her unattractive in spite of her natural qualities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,719 posts, read 4,899,335 times
Reputation: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
At least this thread on "going natural" isn't about not shaving legs and underarms.
Ohhh, I thought it was a topic about public hair!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 02:31 PM
 
182 posts, read 76,961 times
Reputation: 134
I don't leave my house without mascara and lipstick. I don't do it for anyone else, I do it because it makes me feel better and in my opinion look better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 02:42 PM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
3,079 posts, read 2,489,119 times
Reputation: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Those women are a completely different pool of women compared to the women who wear makeup for work, special occasions, etc. but are minimalistic otherwise. The prevailing attitude I see here is women should stop wearing makeup period, or else you are a fraud.

Men in general are going to have an easier time being "naturally attractive." They don't wear makeup, hardly dye their hair, can gain muscle mass and lose weight more easily than women, and even wearing their hair differently and sprucing up their wardrobe makes a huge difference. There is more of an emphasis on the quality of a woman's face, which is more difficult and more of a precarious place to alter. The main point I'm driving here is you can't find a woman with the entire package because guess what, she'll be looking for a man who's the same. Most women are reasonably attractive, but have varying levels of flaws and if some women decide to use a little dab of foundation here and there to diminish what they are, I don't see why it's a problem. A woman could have a very pretty face with nice skin and bone structure but all it takes is a scar on the right part of her face to suddenly make her unattractive in spite of her natural qualities.
That different pool of women is a large percentage of the clearly good-looking segment of women.

Also, the no-makeup-allowed man probably is a strawman. Do a poll to prove me wrong. I think every man accepts that the typical woman wants to get made up at least for fancy events.

Furthermore, the scar thing is close to a straw man. Few people have noticeable facial scars (and those who do either had bad luck or very bad judgment). Yes, women's skin matters more to men than men's skin matters to women. However, most skin issues in women who aren't old can be mostly or fully corrected through skin treatments or mild procedures (and a man isn't going to spurn a woman due to an occasional mild acne breakout). Lifestyle/self-care prevents many of them from becoming issues in the first place. The dancing around skin care and other makeup alternatives in this thread suggests to me that many women aren't very sensible when it comes to how they beautify themselves.

Last edited by goodheathen; 02-06-2014 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top