U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 02:52 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,446,981 times

Advertisements

Actually, none of it's a strawmen. Scars aside, the majority of women have noticeable blotchiness and don't have that same "glow" as they would with a little bit of makeup. In no way does wearing makeup mean you disregard basic skin care. Have you actually read the entire thread? I have, and you'd see where I was getting that dichotomy from.

I think men don't like the idea that women are going to beautify themselves in a way that is different from what MEN think. It seems to me here men are way more invested in the particulars of a woman's appearance than they should be. Just take a look at the recent celebrity photo shoot where they didn't wear makeup and weren't professionally made up. A lot of the women looked naturally pretty to me and would be what I suspect men consider to be natural beauties...but a lot of the other women looked plain and probably wouldn't attract the attention of most men. The picture of Kate Winslet was telling, as she looked like a normal woman sans makeup to me, but a lot of men wouldn't give her the same attention as they'd give her if she was wearing light makeup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 04:17 PM

Let's also look at this from the view of a study:

Wild Beauty | Could Wearing Makeup Make You Better at Everything?

The image shows average looking women-- who I'd say were reasonably attractive to most men-- and how they look with makeup of varying degrees. The far left images are what they look like "natural," the second from the left with "light" which most people would interpret as natural looking makeup, then the second from the right is professional, and the far right is glamorous makeup.

The fact is, not many men would approach them and want to pursue them if they looked like what they do on the far left all the time in public. They do have good skin that's clear, no visible signs of scars or acne. Since none of them have double chins, I'm going to assume they are all at a healthy weight. Yet, they have flaws such as blotchiness, dark circles under the eyes and lack a "glow" to their skin. The natural looking makeup gives them an extra boost to improve their overall appearance, and I'd say it's somewhere between this makeup and the professional makeup where men would find them attractive enough to pursue.

It seems to me a lot of men are looking for unicorns, or they aren't willing to admit the typical person has flaws.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:09 PM

3,080 posts, read 2,491,113 times
Yes, I've read the entire thread. That webpage is interesting, but not very convincing about a need for makeup. Only the third woman definitely benefits much from skin trickery, and maybe she could get a big share of that from non-cosmetic skin care or other methods. By the way, I'm not aware that most women naturally sometimes have much blotchiness.

The first woman would benefit from longer lashes (achievable through Latisse or extensions) or a nose-job. Blue contacts also could help. Her natural face looks too male. Her skin would be good enough for most men.

In the real world, many men would be satisfied with those makeup-free women, if they have nice bodies and nice hair. Probably wouldn't quickly hit on them, though. To me, dark circles is the most common skin issue likely to cause disinterest from men, and for that I condone a little makeup if nothing else helps enough.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:14 PM

There isn't a real "need" for makeup. No one ever said that. Makeup, just as with varying hairstyles, hair dye, jewelry, and clothes serves as an accessory to the overall look.

The first woman would benefit from a nose job and blue contacts-- how is that better than makeup? At least with makeup she could work WITH her features and not against them. I think too many men allow select women who are trashy, glop on piles of makeup, and place their looks as their top priority to overshadow the other women who do just fine with minimal makeup.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:34 PM

10,544 posts, read 6,188,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Yes, I've read the entire thread. That webpage is interesting, but not very convincing about a need for makeup. Only the third woman definitely benefits much from skin trickery, and maybe she could get a big share of that from non-cosmetic skin care or other methods. By the way, I'm not aware that most women naturally sometimes have much blotchiness.

The first woman would benefit from longer lashes (achievable through Latisse or extensions) or a nose-job. Blue contacts also could help. Her natural face looks too male. Her skin would be good enough for most men.

In the real world, many men would be satisfied with those makeup-free women, if they have nice bodies and nice hair. Probably wouldn't quickly hit on them, though. To me, dark circles is the most common skin issue likely to cause disinterest from men, and for that I condone a little makeup if nothing else helps enough.
You don't think that women should wear makeup but you promote a nose job, blue eye contacts and Latisse ( a product that comes with a long list of side effects)? Bizzare!

Old 02-06-2014, 05:52 PM

I promote the nose job (which she'd be ethically obligated to tell a future father of her children), plus colored contacts only if eyesight is poor and vision surgery isn't going to happen. Makeup for a noticeably big nose is like a wig or comb-over for hair loss, a constant inner and outer struggle for a probably disappointing outcome. Because of makeup propaganda and the poor taste of some men, many women feel they 'need' makeup, when many of their beauty issues could be partly or fully solved by other means. Lastly and again, I am not 100% opposed to makeup - the idea of 100% opposition by anyone sane needs to be buried.

Edit: I was just reading about eyelash transplants. Maybe for some women, that would be better than extensions or Latisse.

Last edited by goodheathen; 02-06-2014 at 06:03 PM..

Old 02-06-2014, 05:57 PM

10,544 posts, read 6,188,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I promote the nose job (which she'd be ethically obligated to tell a future father of her children), plus colored contacts only if eyesight is poor and vision surgery isn't going to happen. Makeup for a big nose is like a wig or comb-over for hair loss, a constant struggle for a probably disappointing outcome. Because of makeup propaganda and the poor taste of some men, many women feel they 'need' makeup, when many of their beauty issues could be partly or fully solved by other means.
I think her nose is fine. Makeup doesn't change it. A "nose job" would. What is wrong with her brown eyes? Why would she need to change the color? I would much rather wear a little make up then permanently alter my face with surgery.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:07 PM

392 posts, read 298,161 times
There is the natural beauty and then there is the fake....few men can spot the real thing...most men are fools.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:47 PM

34,769 posts, read 30,010,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Bachlow View Post
There is the natural beauty and then there is the fake....few men can spot the real thing...most men are fools.
Present company excluded?

You said it. Not me.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:18 PM

There's nothing wrong with brown eyes. But blue eyes probably are considered more feminine, and that woman could use a more feminine face. Makeup doesn't directly address problems. Maybe it's male fix-it mentality that contributes to male dislike of makeup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty