U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 03:11 PM

4,425 posts, read 3,356,172 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 03:22 PM

929 posts, read 1,905,368 times
When did men start noticing women's makeup or their face?

Old 01-11-2014, 03:28 PM

12,347 posts, read 20,952,977 times
That's funny Sage -- I once had a friend who asked why I never wore makeup. I cracked up -- at the time I was wearing a full face -- very light foundation, blush, eyeshadow and mascara. I didn't wear lipstick because at the time most lipsticks were lipsticky -- heavy and greasy. And lipglosses were very sticky and shiny. And hubby doesn't like to kiss me with lipcolor -- he doesn't like the taste. Now I wear it all the time with all the sheer lipsticks -- and hubby waits till it's off before he gives me a kiss.

But I've always preferred a very light hand with makeup. I love the look of a smoky eye, but I can't carry that sort of deep color off -- to me it makes my features smaller. My version of a smokey eye is to cover my eyelids with a light color, use a darker color on my creases and use a liner brush and the same darker color on my lash line. I prefer using eyeshadow powder (usually wet the liner brush) to pencil because the pencils seems draggier and the line isn't as nice, and blending it seems more messy. Powder and wet liner brush seems to work better for me.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:45 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,801,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are "safe" makeup brands in health food stores.
I forgot about that. I wonder how many women buy their make-up at a health food store. Also, I love women as they are, not how I expect them to be. I am not against make-up, I just don't think that it's neccessary. With all of the chemicals that we have bombarding our bodies, I hate to see women adding to the problem just to look 'better'. They are fine the way they are. I prefer natural, but I do not require it.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:47 PM

23,066 posts, read 24,980,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Yeah, I was sure that it would be another gorilla look thread.
Wouldn't that be natural, though?

Old 01-11-2014, 03:48 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,947,924 times
Funny, I bet the OP also drools over women in magazines, movie stars and VS models too, who are wearing a face full of make-up AND photoshop enhancements.

It's like this guy I work with... he demanded the women he kept company with wear little to no make-up, no false eyelashes, no hair extensions or fake nails. He wanted to know what he was getting. Then in the next sentence, went on and on how Mila Kunis and Scarlett Johanson in this-movie and that-movie were the hottest he'd ever seen, as if that were them in their natural forms. Yeah right... I'm sure they rolled out of bed looking like that! But he believed it.

Myself, I don't wear make-up. I don't think it makes me look better. I have oily skin, it just melts off. I don't see the point. My husband likes me the way I am, I've got no one else to impress.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:48 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,038,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just can't understand why women can't just go natural and not put anything on their faces. Men do not like women with clown looking faces. Just a lip gloss is good enough. This has to be a major insecurity that almost all women have to put something on before they go out.
Simple answer ---- changing your look through makeup, in moderation for some/more for others, is FUN.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:54 PM

4,425 posts, read 3,356,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That's funny Sage
I think so, too.

Below are pictures of different women without and with makeup. I wonder how many men here think the pictures without makeup look better than the ones with makeup.

http://i.voffka.com/pic/08img_set/th..._makeup_01.jpg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j...89560994638688

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...ticleLarge.jpg

Last edited by Sage 80; 01-11-2014 at 05:03 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 05:22 PM

80,980 posts, read 74,080,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I think so, too.

Below are pictures of different women without and with makeup. I wonder how many men here think the pictures without makeup look better than the ones with makeup.
It depends on the individual woman, and on what the guys want: do they want someone who looks approachable and girl-next-door type? or do they want someone who looks "beautiful" but like she could be arrogant, bitchy or unapproachable? Some women in those types of before/after photos look better without makeup, because they look more genuine, their personality shines forth much more, and they look very approachable. The woman in the last link you posted looks just fine in the 1st pic in the series. The girl in the middle link would appeal to a certain type of guy without makeup, and a completely different type of guy with full makeup and her hair curled.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:33 PM

80,980 posts, read 74,080,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I forgot about that. I wonder how many women buy their make-up at a health food store.
I see women in the makeup section at Whole Foods trying stuff on and buying all the time. And at Pharmaca, the vitamin store and pharamacy, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty