U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 01:28 AM

9,199 posts, read 8,514,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
There are plenty of photos on the web of celebs with and without makeup and very few look all that beautiful without - most just look like ordinary women. Nothing wrong with that but just sayin.' I'm keeping my makeup, thank you.
There is a difference between stage/movie makeup, and what women wear in real life. If you went out in stage makeup into the general public, you would be laughed at. I once was dealing in some jewelry. Got chance to buy some that had been in a warehouse for 20 years, at just a few pennies on the dollar. When I got it, I thought I was stuck with it. One person saw it and said get it all ready to show a potential buyer. When they showed up, they told me it was stage jewelry, that could be seen by the audience not something they could wear every day. They bought it all for the performing arts theater. They were finding it impossible to find anything for the stage. I made a real nice bundle on that jewelry.

What those actresses look like for the stage/movie is work done by a master make up artist, not something they wear for every day. In real life, they would not look near as good. Kind of like making up for Halloween.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 01:42 AM
Status: "It was all that I wanted ~ now I'm living without" (set 27 days ago)

13,598 posts, read 22,418,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just can't understand why women can't just go natural and not put anything on their faces. Men do not like women with clown looking faces. Just a lip gloss is good enough. This has to be a major insecurity that almost all women have to put something on before they go out.
The fact is, most women don't have naturally flawless skin, full, luscious eyelashes and rosy cheeks and lips...and what are the chances that the <5% who do are available to you? I agree on the clown faces, there is no need for someone's face to look like an Easter egg. But if a woman wants to spackle her face with half the MAC counter then just let it be - she's just not your type and move along. Speculating about their insecurities is futile - some women use makeup as their art and their face is their canvas so your psychoanalysis doesn't apply.

I could counter about guys who wax or shave their chests - why can't they "just go natural"? But I don't care - if that's their personal preference then that's that.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:51 AM

80,980 posts, read 74,080,595 times
Who cares about "luscious eyelashes"? Is that really important in the grand scheme of things? Who said you're supposed to have "thick luscious eyelashes" besides the makeup industry and its team of marketing agents? If someone wants to thicken their eyelashes, fine. If it never occurred to them, or they can't be bothered, fine, too.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:01 AM

27,330 posts, read 30,540,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are "safe" makeup brands in health food stores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I forgot about that. I wonder how many women buy their make-up at a health food store. Also, I love women as they are, not how I expect them to be. I am not against make-up, I just don't think that it's neccessary. With all of the chemicals that we have bombarding our bodies, I hate to see women adding to the problem just to look 'better'. They are fine the way they are. I prefer natural, but I do not require it.
I would get those, but the colors they have let's just say aren't available for my skin tone. #fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryia View Post
I appreciate in particularly black wemon who go natural I forgot how beautiful they are with long spirals or curls on that beautiful brown skin. I seen women the other day her hair was so shiny and curly it looked loops bundle together
I get a good laugh with my hair stylist. She wears a naturalism looking curly weave. And people think it is her natural hair all the time. But it is 100% fake.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:04 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,801,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Your last sentence has "should" in it. Once I see "should" in a post, I think "judgement". This thread is reminding me of an anti- gay marriage argument. How does my makeup wearing affect your non makeup wearing face? I see a many women here in Portland, OR without makeup. They affect me and my life in no way.
No 'judgement' intended. Every woman is free to put on make-up, or shave, as she pleases. I was simply stating an opinion that I think that shaving legs/underarms is a good thing. Strictly my opinion.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:37 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,023,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just can't understand why women can't just go natural and not put anything on their faces. Men do not like women with clown looking faces. Just a lip gloss is good enough. This has to be a major insecurity that almost all women have to put something on before they go out.
Well I have to majorly disagree with you. I have no idea if you are a man or a woman asking this absolutely silly question, but I assume you are a woman who most likely hasn't learn why do women wear makeup when she was little. The real art of wearing makeup is when people can't notice it.

It's not me saying this, is Cindy Crawford in an interview where the journalist said "it's nice to see you look as beautiful without makeup as you do with makeup." Little the journalist knew that she had foundation, powder and mascara on.

Which gets me back to the point of why we wear makeup. First and most important is to protect our skins. UV radiation is bad for the skin and women who dont wear makeup are most exposed. Then to nourish our skins - facial cream do just that- and then to fix little imperfections.

The real art of makeup is not to be noticeable. If it is than it is bad makeup.

Your question is so out of this world to me; it's as if you'd ask why do we need clothes and dont we all go naked?

Old 01-12-2014, 06:53 AM

4,565 posts, read 4,274,517 times
Ive seen many women who were stunning with a bunch of make up on and the next time I saw them with nothing, it was like they were a completely different person. Most women in Hollywood that most magazines idolize for their beauty are just above average when you take off their makeup.

Men are very visual. When woman wear alot of makeup all the time, they also need to ask themselves one honest question. Will this same man be as attracted to you when you wash your face and show him the real you?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:51 AM

2,054 posts, read 1,968,455 times
I never wear makeup of any kind. I also don't get my hair and nails done up. I care for them myself. For me makeup and hair and nails done up would be a fake version of me. A mask hiding the real me. And I just plain don't like it. My face feels dirty with makeup on it. I hate when my nails get long because I work with my hands and practice martial arts and it messes with my sense of touch, and can injure a training partner.

However for some women they don't feel like themselves without their makeup. I don't leave the house without a bra on and some women do, but don't leave the house without makeup on. The choice is up to the individual to express who they are, however they feel good doing it.

I see men who dress and groom themselves in ways that I don't personally find attractive but that does not make them lesser people. Some even turn out to be people that I really like because I get to know them as friends. Some of the most wonderful bighearted people turn out to be those who at first glance one might judge to be either too into their looks or who don't pay attention to their attractiveness.

If you dislike another person's choice to do or not do something with their personal appearance that's fine. But don't expect other people to change just because you feel that your way is better. It is better for you. Not necessarily for them. And by judging them by their dress and grooming without getitng to know them, you could be missing out on a really valuable friendship/relationship.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:57 AM

18,908 posts, read 24,327,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
When did men start noticing women's makeup or their face?
when women started wearing clothes

Old 01-12-2014, 08:37 AM

842 posts, read 946,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Young women can get away with not using makeup, but as we age, I think women need makeup. I do think it is best to apply it so as to appear most natural though.

One reason I like to use makeup is to even out redness I have in different areas of my face. I really do look better in a little makeup.

There is no need to characterize women's use of makeup as putting on a clown face. We can disagree about things without being deliberately unkind.
Women don't NEED makeup. We NEED food (and probably) clothing and shelter to survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
Or an illogical concept. You want to look good for others or you wouldn't wear it. And that's fine. But don't pretend it isn't.

It's also not about insecurity. If a woman believes she looks better (to others) with makeup on, that doesn't mean she's insecure. It means she's honest and that she knows she needs it. Wearing makeup doesn't imply that men have control either. A woman trying to impress means that she's actually the one in control (or attempting to feel that way, at the very least).

I also agree with the natural thing. Nearly no women are "natural" and do wear more makeup than others to look that way.

I'm way too lazy to get up early enough in the morning to bother. I haven't worn any unless it was a very special occasion or if I need to look like I put effort into my appearance. And even then it's just coverup.
Wouldn't the woman wearing makeup because she feels unattractive without it around others be an insecurity? In addition, once again, one doesn't NEED makeup. That's like saying I NEED a brand new iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Well I have to majorly disagree with you. I have no idea if you are a man or a woman asking this absolutely silly question, but I assume you are a woman who most likely hasn't learn why do women wear makeup when she was little. The real art of wearing makeup is when people can't notice it.

It's not me saying this, is Cindy Crawford in an interview where the journalist said "it's nice to see you look as beautiful without makeup as you do with makeup." Little the journalist knew that she had foundation, powder and mascara on.

Which gets me back to the point of why we wear makeup. First and most important is to protect our skins. UV radiation is bad for the skin and women who dont wear makeup are most exposed. Then to nourish our skins - facial cream do just that- and then to fix little imperfections.

The real art of makeup is not to be noticeable. If it is than it is bad makeup.

Your question is so out of this world to me; it's as if you'd ask why do we need clothes and dont we all go naked?
Seriously? You're really going to compare the wanting of makeup to the necessity of clothing?

Personally, I don't care whether a woman wears makeup or not. I'm sure some are insecure while others do it for fun/other personal reasons. What I'm confused with is why are some of the women here quick to jump on a man if he liked her without makeup? I thought many women complained that men were too visual . Now it seems that a man would be criticized for not being visual? I'm convinced the responses would be the same outcome if a male poster proclaimed that all women should wear makeup, that is, attack mode on.

For the ones saying, 'We're still wearing concealer...you don't know anything...blah blah blah', I understand, while out and about, it may be harder for us to tell. However, plenty of men wake up to girlfriends/wives sans makeup everyday. In my prior relationships, I thought my girlfriends were gorgeous without it. My last ex only used to put on lip gloss when out and I still thought she was the most stunning woman ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty