U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:19 PM

9,966 posts, read 8,875,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I think the OP means white.
Agreed. I live in South Florida and you are either white or you aren't. Non whites include Black, Latino, Asian. Pretty much everyone who isn't of white European descent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 06:23 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,543,759 times
If I am the definition of exxotical, then your theory is disproved on spot.

Nobody would prefer a lazy and obese 5'11" Asian dude like me over a smart and fit 6'7" Caucasian male.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:27 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,560,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
If I am the definition of exxotical, then your theory is disproved on spot.

Nobody would prefer a lazy and obese 5'11" Asian dude like me over a smart and fit 6'7" Caucasian male.
And being Asian in new brunswick is about as "exotic" as being black in africa, or blonde in norway.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:32 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,543,759 times
Quote:
And being Asian in new brunswick is about as "exotic" as being black in africa, or blonde in norway.
True, but I extended my previous argument across the entire United states, not just Middlesex county .

Old 01-13-2014, 08:30 PM

3,939 posts, read 3,995,997 times
Quote:
I think the OP means white.
In some cities like NYC, there is a minority majority. Therefore, White people with the coloring described is not the MAJORITY. I am trying to get the OP to understand what ethnocentric means. The OP hasn't figured it out. The term exotic is plain silly because it simply means different, really. A blond Scandinavian woman is "exotic" in NYC. NYC has 8 million people that are counted by the census. There are more people living in a NYC undocumented so over 10 million people realistically. Over 50 percent of NYC dwellers are not Blonde, right. That's at least five million people that are not Blonde haired and light skin. So why are blondes NOT considered "exotic"? Why? Because of instututional racism and people being ethnocentric but don't even know they are being so. It is 2014... and there are more brown/black haired, brown eyed people living here in the good ole' US of A than blond haired, blue/green eyed people living here. To conclude... brown haired, brown eyed people called, Americans, are not EXOTIC...WE are ALL AMERICAN, to borrow the OP's term. 2014, People! Times are changin'...

Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,023,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attractively Ambigious View Post
Like say you have two guys, one looks like Cristiano Ronaldo (soccer player, exotic) and the other guy looks more like Brad Pitt (actor, as if you didn't know, All American).

I have heard that brands like Armani tend to prefer the exotic look while brands like Hollister and Abercrombie and Fitch tend to prefer the All American look in their models.

Something else I have seen here in California is this.

In a lot of the places like Newport Beach and more of the old fashioned neighborhoods, the All American look is preferred in both men and women. The All American look meaning looking more Northern European.

As I get out to a more diverse crowd and more into the city, there is a stronger preference for the Cristiano Ronaldo and Kim Kardashian kind of look which is more Southern European.

What I find bothersome is that if you put a Cristiano Ronaldo looking guy in a place like Newport Beach, there isn't much of a preference for him, he won't get as much if any attention there.
World is diverse and America is a melting pot. In Spain or Southern Europe, Ronalndo look would be the norm and blond guys would be exotic.
As far as I know - I worked with People magazines and other publications as clients - ads are tailored to their demographics, so they put whoever they perceive wouldhave maximum impact for the products they sell.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:15 PM

127 posts, read 249,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
How many Americans actually look like this? I think describing a person as "exotic" is bias. I do not like it.
that doesn't matter, it is the truth that if you look racially ambiguous then you won't be considered of having the All American look

deal with it, take it up with the fashion industry, don't shoot the messenger

Old 01-14-2014, 03:04 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,445,637 times
I've never really understood the whole exotic thing, honestly. I've been referred to as "exotic" but I didn't take it as a compliment and understood it more as "your face is sorta weird looking" LOL.

I have no idea if this is true with men, but I have heard that men tend to gravitate towards women who look different compared to her counterparts because different= more attractive. Something about wanting to spread the genetic diversity of his genes, or some evolutionary psychology babble. I don't really think that's true, as men's preferences for women seem to change with the times. Decades ago, women with more feminine faces and figures were seen as more desirable but now you have men desiring women with more masculine faces and athletic bodies (with big boobs, of course) because they are seen as better marriage partners and are somehow better in bed.

Like women, men in general have a "type" and I think this overrides generalized preferences. However, some men might have a type where they prefer the "All-American" look and some men prefer women who look like Angelina Jolie.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:35 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,034,541 times
Have never heard another male rave about Angelina Jolie. She is gross. Is this someone women believe men to find attractive? Guess again.

I have to wonder why she is constantly mentioned.

As for politicizing the All-American label, right...

Everyone knows what it means. Their will have to be a new label invented to capture the same meaning for the shifting shades in America and what will be considered the new standard of beauty.

The new look will be neither All-American or exotic but cosmopolitan in all its synthesizing glory. That is the new look will have nothing to do with picking either blondes or brunettes but both will be used and the new variables will be based on body type and style. That is how reductionist we have become.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:30 AM

16,833 posts, read 14,560,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Have never heard another male rave about Angelina Jolie. She is gross. Is this someone women believe men to find attractive? Guess again.

I have to wonder why she is constantly mentioned.

As for politicizing the All-American label, right...

Everyone knows what it means. Their will have to be a new label invented to capture the same meaning for the shifting shades in America and what will be considered the new standard of beauty.

The new look will be neither All-American or exotic but cosmopolitan in all its synthesizing glory. That is the new look will have nothing to do with picking either blondes or brunettes but both will be used and the new variables will be based on body type and style. That is how reductionist we have become.
It's not reductionist, it's a function of the reality of what American means now. In many places white is no longer the majority phenotype. That reality maybe a function of geography currently, but it only a matter of time.

And btw, the term "all-American" was originally a sports term which was taken by others after that point, and it's been used to refer to people of color in its original context for over 120 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or