Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 01:03 PM

127 posts, read 320,072 times

Advertisements

Like say you have two guys, one looks like Cristiano Ronaldo (soccer player, exotic) and the other guy looks more like Brad Pitt (actor, as if you didn't know, All American).

I have heard that brands like Armani tend to prefer the exotic look while brands like Hollister and Abercrombie and Fitch tend to prefer the All American look in their models.

Something else I have seen here in California is this.

In a lot of the places like Newport Beach and more of the old fashioned neighborhoods, the All American look is preferred in both men and women. The All American look meaning looking more Northern European.

As I get out to a more diverse crowd and more into the city, there is a stronger preference for the Cristiano Ronaldo and Kim Kardashian kind of look which is more Southern European.

What I find bothersome is that if you put a Cristiano Ronaldo looking guy in a place like Newport Beach, there isn't much of a preference for him, he won't get as much if any attention there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 01:09 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,875 times
Give me "your" definition of "All- American"!

Old 01-12-2014, 01:32 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,644 times
Just my observation, but I notice guys from heavily white areas, as well as nerdier/less "alpha" dudes generally lean more towards the cute, girl next door type rather than the "sexy, exotic" women.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:44 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,158 times
Used to be white now the trend is towards exxotical. But the most popular look will ALWAYS be white exxoticals eg Angelina Jolie.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Give me "your" definition of "All- American"!
The look

White (male or female)
lighter colored hair (light brown or blonde)
attractive
Blue or Green eyes

A look typically found in Northern European countries.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Used to be white now the trend is towards exxotical. But the most popular look will ALWAYS be white exxoticals eg Angelina Jolie.
For women, maybe, for men? No

Chris Hemsworth, Brad Pitt, and Ryan Gosling looking men will always be in demand compared to the Cristiano Ronaldo and Cesc Fabregas looking men of the world.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attractively Ambigious View Post
The look

White (male or female)
lighter colored hair (light brown or blonde)
attractive
Blue or Green eyes

A look typically found in Northern European countries.
Your definition of "all-American" is rooted in the past. It is 2014...

Old 01-12-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Your definition of "all-American" is rooted in the past. It is 2014...
It is not about being American but just the look itself in general and what it signifies.

That is stereotypically what people consider all american.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:57 PM

I repeat... it is 2014 and what is stereotypical to you may differ for someone else(also an American) depending on one's geographical location,access to media, personal beliefs...
Look up the term "ethnocentric" and get back to me.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:18 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,507 times
There's nothing "All-American" looking about Hemsworth, Pitt etc. They appear to be of Northern European descent...that is all. Morris Chestnut and Taye Diggs are just as "American" as Brad Pitt.

Instead of saying the "all-American" look, people should just say that they prefer white men with lighter hair and blue/gray/green eyes.

Also, the idea that white males or females are preferred is rooted in the fact that 2/3 of our nation is white (not including those with Spanish surnames). Most of those people prefer other whites. It has no bearing on how others feel.

The only people that equate American with white (in my experience) are Asian immigrants. An Asian girl might say that she "prefers American guys, but may date a black guy if he's nice." I've heard it several times out in public and it always makes me SMH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty