U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:54 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,026,886 times

Advertisements

There are few simple rules to follow. Im 50 and I dont have wrikles.

1) never ever go to bed with makeup on. clean your face before going to bed and put a night cream on
2) never go outside without make-up. at least a day cream and or sunscreen. elements will ravage your face if it's not protected
3) periodically have facilas. by this I dont mean going to the spa but even boiling water and staying with your face over it and covering your head with a towel. This will hydrate your skin and open the pores. Then I'd use a gentle scrub as the pores are open. then a hydrating mask and cucumbers on your eyes . wash it off and apply a good face cream.
4) saw "work" as many as 20 times a day to work out your neck muscles, so it wont sag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 09:18 AM

1,603 posts, read 2,848,484 times
I also recently read that using a satin pillow case cuts down on the friction on your face from regular pillowcases. I know it's supposed to be good for your hair but didn't realize it was for your face too - it makes sense though. I've started using one recently but it's too early to tell.

The others have pretty much covered all the do's and don'ts

Old 01-15-2014, 09:45 AM

803 posts, read 1,413,517 times
I think sleeping on your side is only a problem if you have a hard pillow, or bury your face in it.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:04 AM

5,690 posts, read 8,871,457 times
I am aging well... Have been told often I look 15+years younger than my age (and have had no cosmetic procedure). Some possible contributing factors (some of them may seem weird)...

1) Genetics. I am 1/2 Italian with somewhat oily skin (can be problematic as a teenager, but great when you're older). The Italian women in my family age very well. My 100 y.o. grandmother (yes, 100!) looked much younger (maybe 70 y.o.?) than her age due to her skin having less wrinkles. My 40-50 y.o. cousins are mistaken for 20-30 y.o'.s

2) Sun protection. I have worn facial sunscreen, sunglasses, and hats just about every time I am outside, my entire life. I am obsessive about this. I have an extensive sunglass/hat collection.

3) Don't smoke/over-imbibe/do drugs.

4) Eat fresh, healthy food with few chemicals/preservatives (no packaged food) and follow more of a Mediterranean diet (e.g. I use lots of olive oil).

5) Drink a lot of water throughout the day.

6) I happen to not make a lot of facial expressions (e.g. frowning,, squinting, etc.) - not because I'm trying to avoid wrinkles - it's just who I am, I do not tend to show much emotion on my face. Not sure if that's helped me avoid crow's feet.

7) I do not smoosh my face against a pillow while sleeping - the pillow is under my head only. This may seem minor but you do spend a major part of your life sleeping, so may want to avoid pressing your skin into a wrinkly position.

8) I have had a jaw clenching problem for most of my life - do this while sleeping, thinking, stressing, etc.... I have noticed that my jawline, chin, neck seem relatively firm for my age. Maybe my jaw clenching contributed to tighter/firmer face muscles, reducing sagging/wrinkles? This is just a theory.

9) I have always maintained a healthy weight and don't tend to gain weight in my face (even while pregnant).

10) I wash my face with a gentle cleanser and apply moisturizer (Arbonne products) every evening/morning. I am extremely gentle cleansing the eye area - never pull this skin. I also often skip wearing makeup to give my skin a break.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 01-15-2014 at 10:13 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,987 times
Default Great information

Yes you are absolutely right that oily skin acts a wonders when you get matured. One should keep few things in mind from young age:
1) Drink water a regular intervals throughout day.
2) Use less makeup except sunscreens, moisturizers n body lotion as they are actually very good for skin.
3) Exercise regularly if you can't then at least go for walking.
4) Eat as much as fresh you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I am aging well... Have been told often I look 15+years younger than my age (and have had no cosmetic procedure). Some possible contributing factors (some of them may seem weird)...

1) Genetics. I am 1/2 Italian with somewhat oily skin (can be problematic as a teenager, but great when you're older). The Italian women in my family age very well. My 100 y.o. grandmother (yes, 100!) looked much younger (maybe 70 y.o.?) than her age due to her skin having less wrinkles. My 40-50 y.o. cousins are mistaken for 20-30 y.o'.s

2) Sun protection. I have worn facial sunscreen, sunglasses, and hats just about every time I am outside, my entire life. I am obsessive about this. I have an extensive sunglass/hat collection.

4) Eat fresh, healthy food with few chemicals/preservatives (no packaged food) and follow more of a Mediterranean diet (e.g. I use lots of olive oil).

6) I happen to not make a lot of facial expressions (e.g. frowning,, squinting, etc.) - not because I'm trying to avoid wrinkles - it's just who I am, I do not tend to show much emotion on my face. Not sure if that's helped me avoid crow's feet.

7) I do not smoosh my face against a pillow while sleeping - the pillow is under my head only. This may seem minor but you do spend a major part of your life sleeping, so may want to avoid pressing your skin into a wrinkly position.

8) I have had a jaw clenching problem for most of my life - do this while sleeping, thinking, stressing, etc.... I have noticed that my jawline, chin, neck seem relatively firm for my age. Maybe my jaw clenching contributed to tighter/firmer face muscles, reducing sagging/wrinkles? This is just a theory.

9) I have always maintained a healthy weight and don't tend to gain weight in my face (even while pregnant).

10) I wash my face with a gentle cleanser and apply moisturizer (Arbonne products) every evening/morning. I am extremely gentle cleansing the eye area - never pull this skin. I also often skip wearing makeup to give my skin a break.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:59 AM

72 posts, read 85,774 times
In all honesty, you can't. I have friends in their 50's who have smoke, drank, tanned practically since birth and not a single wrinkle on them. If you look at their mom's .. they also aged well. It is mostly genetics .. something we have no control over. I'm in my 40's .. I don't smoke. But I do tan and drink .. nothing to stop wrinkles .. I have not one laugh line. I sometimes think Americans are bored and need to find something to worry about or to spend their money on. Aging gracefully is a beautiful, non stressful, cheap thing ... love yourself for who you are and be happy.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:47 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,230,525 times
OP, you'd be surprised at the things that people DON'T notice. I'm in my late 30s and I already have some wrinkles & lines (undereye wrinkles, wrinkles on my cheeks, and a "number 11"). And yet, I often get mistaken for someone in their 20s.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:57 AM

15,610 posts, read 32,114,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

You sound so much like me. I am 1/2 Spanish with oily skin. The women in my family aged well, also, and at age 64 people think I am 15 - 20 years younger than my age. Even my doctors tell me this. I too drink a lot of water, clench my jaw (lol, I have "bite" problems) and I do have a very firm smooth neck. Pillow is under my head only as well. One should NEVER sleep on their stomach - creates wrinkles and bags. I only cleanse my face with oils, and then moisturize with oil. I wear very little makeup, mostly just on my eyes and lips. Now, I do get a little sun each day - emphasis on LITTLE. I ride my bike but I slather on coconut oil which offers a little natural sunscreen. I maintain a light base tan. My face has no wrinkles, just eye crinkles when I smile.

To Justme305 - thanks for mentioning what people DON'T notice. I think many of us notice flaws on ourselves because we are our own worst critics. Other people tend to just notice the overall "package" and if most of that package looks good, they overlook any minor issues!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 AM

19,116 posts, read 27,217,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
I also recently read that using a satin pillow case cuts down on the friction on your face from regular pillowcases. I know it's supposed to be good for your hair but didn't realize it was for your face too - it makes sense though. I've started using one recently but it's too early to tell.

The others have pretty much covered all the do's and don'ts
Satin doesn't breath well though, so if you tend to overheat while you sleep (like I do!) then satin is a bad choice.

As for the OP, have good genetics, drink lots of water, eat fresh foods and moisturize.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:31 PM

3,407 posts, read 7,754,421 times
My aunts who never smoked barely aged passed 30 (they are 55-70 now) my aunts that smoked actually look older than they really are. I smoked for 6 years so I hope that wasn't long enough to do major damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty