Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:22 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
My aunts who never smoked barely aged passed 30 (they are 55-70 now) my aunts that smoked actually look older than they really are. I smoked for 6 years so I hope that wasn't long enough to do major damage.
Rememeber, your skin is always renewing itself. If you have been practicing good health habits since you quit smoking it should not affect you. I have a friend who is 67 y.o., and she smoked for a few years when younger, but she looks great - she takes good care of herself and hasn't aged since I've known her (since she was in her early 40s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 10:32 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
I'm surprised to have seen no mention of Retin-A. That's a major anti-wrinkle option.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:32 AM

8 posts, read 22,635 times
I will suggest you to stay out of sunlight

Old 02-01-2014, 12:48 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You sound so much like me. I am 1/2 Spanish with oily skin. The women in my family aged well, also, and at age 64 people think I am 15 - 20 years younger than my age. Even my doctors tell me this. I too drink a lot of water, clench my jaw (lol, I have "bite" problems) and I do have a very firm smooth neck. Pillow is under my head only as well. One should NEVER sleep on their stomach - creates wrinkles and bags. I only cleanse my face with oils, and then moisturize with oil. I wear very little makeup, mostly just on my eyes and lips. Now, I do get a little sun each day - emphasis on LITTLE. I ride my bike but I slather on coconut oil which offers a little natural sunscreen. I maintain a light base tan. My face has no wrinkles, just eye crinkles when I smile.

To Justme305 - thanks for mentioning what people DON'T notice. I think many of us notice flaws on ourselves because we are our own worst critics. Other people tend to just notice the overall "package" and if most of that package looks good, they overlook any minor issues!
I always hear this but I feel so funny when I sleep on my back. Feels like I'm in a coffin. I suffer from under eye bags since I was a baby and forehead wrinkles. Some days the wrinkles are more pronounced than others. I'm 29 and still feel I'm too young for them. MY mom has the forehead wrinkles too. Guess it's genetic

Old 02-02-2014, 10:20 AM
SF

286 posts, read 324,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
So I'm in my mid-ish twenties and I'm concerned about avoiding wrinkles in the future. I want to look 10 years younger than my age when I hit mid 30's.

I've heard botox is only temporary. And it kinda scares me.

What steps should I take to avoid wrinkles and have good skin? I've heard moisturizing is good, no?
Okay I am not an expert here but I would like to say a few things here,

Healthy diet, good exercises in short you should plan out how to lead an healthy lifestyle and also avoid exposing yourself to sun too much, these things plays an important is helping you stay young.

Short explanation:-
You should try to detoxify your skin by natural means that by consuming foods that are rich in anti-toxidants, green tea etc, consume lots of water,moisturizer yes that helps to an extent and yes exercise as much as you can it helps release toxins from your body.I don't mean to be negative here but despite this old age is something that will come to you whether you like it or not and yes as you grow older you will have wrinkles.I must admit here having wrinkles in future is my concern too but I'm working on it(read above)

Now here you are in your mid twenties and you're concerned about wrinkles yes I can understand that

Yes there are some treatments,even I have heard of few that helps but as you said most are only temporary and will work as long as you continue to take those treatments, the moment you stop your body gets back to where it was before to the normal rate of aging.Hence the best method here is to train your mind to follow natural methods that are not necessarily permanent but long lasting for sure,it may not give you outright benefits straight away but will surely help in the long run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
I want to look 10 years younger than my age when I hit mid 30's.
In your mid thirties say suppose 35-40?and you want to look 10 years younger well I you can make it happen but in my view the proportion depends from person to person,their genetics etc.Some people naturally look younger, some older than their age(my observations only)

You can look a little younger than your actual age say suppose:-

1.If you're 25 you may look like 20 or 22

2.If you're 35 you may look like 25(a 25 year old won't look like 15 will he?) although it is very difficult but 30 is more realistic.

3. If you're 40 you may look like 30

So yes it is possible and practical and it is completely in your hands

Old 02-02-2014, 05:32 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Here is my advice to looking younger. I am in my late 30's and people say I look like I am in my twenties. Of course, this means I probably look about 30 people do exaggerate.

1. This is the most important: use retin a or the generic tretinoin. It will help you build collagen and actually helps get rid of fine lines. Start off with a low dose and build up your use. You will see more even skin tone, reduced acne, and less wrinkles. It takes time and do not over do it. If your skin is flakey or red, back off for a few days. Use it on your face,neck, chest, and hands.use it in the evening and make sure your skin is very dry. I usually wait 10 minutes after washing.

2. Use sunscreen, hats, and don' t tan your face and neck.

3. Don't smoke. If you smoke, stop.

4. Use a vitamin c serum in the morning. Start at a low dose and work your way up.
This will also help build your collagen and get rid of skin discoloration. I use it on my face,neck,chest,and hands.

5. Wear dark sunglasses so you don't squint and get crows feet.

6. Moisturizer if your skin is dry, otherwise skip it. It is a temporary fix anyway. If your skin is oily, don't bother. An eye cream can be beneficial though.

7. Use a really good shampoo and conditioner and don't bleach your hair too much. Young women have healthier and better hair.

8. Optional things i do but are not sure they work : collagen supplement, omega 3's, b vitamins

9. Maintain your weight within 10 pounds ( except pregnancy). Yoyoing weight causes sagging skin.

10. Eat a reasonable diet. I try to eat 80% healthy and 20% junk. Ya gotta live, right?

Old 02-02-2014, 07:13 PM

368 posts, read 577,596 times
Don't make unnecessary facial expressions :P

Old 02-03-2014, 01:36 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
What I recently learned about Retin-A is that it only works for as long as you use it. It isn't a permanent wrinkle remover. If you use it for a couple of years and then you stop using it, the wrinkles that were there before will come back.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:11 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Retin A thins the skin,so it isn't good to use.

Wrinkles,yes they age you,but I find loss of facial fat is the BIGGEST aging thing out there.

I have no wrinkles but I do have sunken hollow dark circles,so they age me a lot.
I'm 31,but it mainly comes from working nights.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:16 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
dont try to get too lean, it may make you hips or waist size smaller but it will also make your face look older and make the lines & definition more noticable

staying around 20% body fat is OK but dont get too lean, you will look like those stringy weathered long distance runners

a little body fat will help prevent wrinkles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty