Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:13 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,383,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
What I recently learned about Retin-A is that it only works for as long as you use it. It isn't a permanent wrinkle remover. If you use it for a couple of years and then you stop using it, the wrinkles that were there before will come back.
Retin a helps you build collagen and encourages cell turn over. Your rate of aging goes from that point forward if you stop using it.

Here is an article in allure that discusses retinoids myths. Retin a or tretinoin is a prescription strength retinoid. It is a form of Vitamin a.
http://www.allure.com/skin-care/anti...-myths#slide=2

Last edited by Meyerland; 02-04-2014 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 09:14 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,383,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Retin A thins the skin,so it isn't good to use.

Wrinkles,yes they age you,but I find loss of facial fat is the BIGGEST aging thing out there.

I have no wrinkles but I do have sunken hollow dark circles,so they age me a lot.
I'm 31,but it mainly comes from working nights.
Retin a does not thin the skin, that is a myth. It helps build collagen in the skin and prevent wrinkles. Ask a dermatologist.

There are many clinical studies that have proved the effects of tretinoin or retin a.

Here is a New York Times article about the collagen boosting effects of tretinoin or retin a.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/fa...anted=all&_r=0

Here is some information from a doctor. http://www.azskincareplc.com/blog/po...n-a-myths.html

I will try to find the clinical studies.

I am 39, and started using it as a teenager for acne. The only place on my face with signs of aging are my upper eyelids, because I never used retin a there. I have very nice skin and it is not thin at all.

Last edited by Meyerland; 02-04-2014 at 09:37 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 03:58 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,830,041 times
i wanted to try Retin a for my dark circles but my dermatologist said no because it will make them look worse.

Botox btw prevents wrinkles if used on a consistent basis.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:23 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,682,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There's a lot of truth to that "fat" thing though, and by that I don't mean you need to stay "fat." What I do mean is that the skin on your face will age better if there's a bit of fat underlying it - in other words, if you strive to have very low body fat, this will affect the skin on your face negatively.

The great thing is, as you age, a perfect figure becomes less important (to you and everyone else) and that face becomes more important. That's when you realize that maybe you shouldn't have been fretting about that extra ten pounds all these years.

I agree with what the others have said:

Moisturizers/foundation with sunscreen - every day
Drink lots of water
Don't smoke
Don't abuse any substances and don't use any street/illegal drugs
Don't use tanning beds or try to tan
Get plenty of sleep
Try to train yourself to sleep on your back
EAT NATURAL, UNPROCESSED FOODS
Be sure your diet contains enough HEALTHY fats
Keep your face clean but don't scrub it hard

As for the wrinkles caused by laughing and smiling - I'd say by laughing and smiling, you're staving off other things a lot worse than wrinkling, so don't worry a bit about these!
This sums it up very nicely.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:24 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
So I'm in my mid-ish twenties and I'm concerned about avoiding wrinkles in the future. I want to look 10 years younger than my age when I hit mid 30's.

I've heard botox is only temporary. And it kinda scares me.

What steps should I take to avoid wrinkles and have good skin? I've heard moisturizing is good, no?

Die young otherwise you get old and get wrinkles.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:58 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
Losing bone also contributes to facial aging, maybe including wrinkles. Gotta get a good intake of vitamin D and calcium and other minerals.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:40 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
I've heard that drinking through a straw can cause wrinkles. I found out yesterday from The Doctors TV show that habitually chewing the inside of the mouth can do the same. Probably many other mouth motions can have that effect.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,007 times
Those were some great tips. Thank you.

After my wife tried way too many products and spent more than I want to admit on anti-wrinkle products, and being concerned about Botox, here are a few facts we discovered that you may want to consider.

First, when it comes to wrinkles, Botox actually does work. The issue with Botox is what it does and doesn’t do. Botox is very limited in its application. It paralyzes the muscles between the eyebrows so you can’t squint – the result is that you can’t see wrinkles around the eyes. However, it does not eliminate wrinkles or lift them off the eyebrows, does not lift the mid face or lift loose neck and jowls.

Second, Botox is actually an injection of Botulism which is a bacterial toxin. Not too comforting for my wife or many other people out there.

Third, when looking at all the name-brand products, Consumer Reports conducted a landmark study that tested the top anti-aging wrinkle creams. The Consumer Report investigation found only slight improvements overall in wrinkles for any of the tested products. In other words, none of the tested brands produced dramatic results in terms of reducing wrinkles. Despite the price or celebrity endorsements, Consumer Reports found that consumers are probably better off just spending a few dollars on a good sunscreen. Studies by WebMD concluded the same thing. I wish we knew this before flushing a lot of money down the you know what.

Finally though, if you are serious about reducing wrinkles immediately, you may want to consider this company as an option ( [URL="http://www.sublimeturnsbacktime.com/"]www.sublimeturnsbacktime.com[/URL]). All of their ingredients are FDA approved and they have received a Safety Assessment for a Cosmetic Product from the EU which “…indicates no significant risk under normal and foreseeable conditions of use, and is safe to market in the EU”. Most importantly, It did not take weeks or months to see debatable results. This stuff worked right away! Although not the cheapest or most expensive product out there, at least we both saw an immediate reduction in wrinkles.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:00 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,685,373 times
stay hydrated, wear sunscreen, moisturize your skin. eat healthy. eat avocados, fish oil, leafy greens, and almonds. Glass of red wine.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:04 AM

421 posts, read 676,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Don't sunbath and avoid tanning beds...
Also, when outside wear 50 SPF sunscreen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty