Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:15 AM

910 posts, read 2,283,297 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised NO ONE mentioned facial exercise! I guess it's only ignorance of the fact that unlike in the rest of the body, facial muscles are directly attached to the skin, which means that toning them will have the effect of "lifting" the skin. I've been practicing various exercises on and off since my mid 30s and people often think I'm at least 10 years younger; the berst part is that when one wakes up all puffy and "different", by activating circulation facial exercise will restore "things" to normal a lot faster than if we did nothing. Here's an example endorsed by "The Doctors" (but there's tons others to choose from on Youtube):

Facial Magic Exercises on The Doctors TV - YouTube

Here's a variation for eye bags and crows feet that uses pressure point massage:

Yoga Facial Exercises Are The Best Cure For Bags Under The Eyes - Remove Them And Dark Circles Now! - YouTube

As for genes, that's really meaningless to me, seriously! I used to think I was in the "lucky" group until I noticed the effect of things like stress, hypothyroidism, etc., in my own body and face. Looking at one's parents' faces only tells part of the story, because good or bad skin may be due to their own good or bad personal habits, which they learned mostly from their own parents, and so on and so forth. A person with good skin can still get it ruined, and one with "bad" skin can definitely improve it with a healthy diet, proper exercise, sleep and hydration plus maybe the wise use of some supplements and a few helpful tips like regular exfoliation, massage and, as mentioned above exercise! Bodily exercise improves circulation among other things, so improved circulation to the face will definitely add to its glow and health.

And for the skeptics, here's one more video that speaks for itself (the lady did change her ID name though...), and if you look in the menu to the right she has another video where her grandson is doing one of the exercises with her:

"Pucker Ups" Facial Exercises agelessexy70's webcam video July 12, 2010, 12:59 PM - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 AM

164 posts, read 194,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Losing bone also contributes to facial aging, maybe including wrinkles. Gotta get a good intake of vitamin D and calcium and other minerals.

Yep. Bone loss, muscle atrophy, fat loss and collagen and elastin lost and photodamage. It seems like that after your 20s-30s (Actually around 20) everything is going down hill. I would say Bone loss and photodamage is the most noticeable two.

In order of importance:

1. Sunscreen and keep out of midday sun.
2. Do some weight training to keep your bone nice and dense.
3. Do topical treatment or oral treatment to either rebuild or preserve collagen and elastin.
4. I suspect high estrogen might help with fat preservation on face (especially if you're female) and I'm doing something to try to keep it high.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:12 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,038,529 times
I didn't read all the replies, so don't know if anyone also said DO NOT EVER SMOKE! Smoking really ages the skin.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:26 AM

17,455 posts, read 38,845,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I didn't read all the replies, so don't know if anyone also said DO NOT EVER SMOKE! Smoking really ages the skin.
Yes, it was mentioned and I agree that smoking is probably THE #1 ager of skin. After that it is overconsumption of sugar, alcohol and of course drugs. Sun itself is not the enemy people make it out to be unless one is spending all day (many hours) under the sun unprotected.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:00 AM

7,287 posts, read 6,860,343 times
I have observed that the use of vitamin E oil has been successful .

Old 07-03-2014, 11:47 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,333,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
I think sleeping on your side is only a problem if you have a hard pillow, or bury your face in it.
You will get cleavage wrinkles though. Nobody told me about those.

Wear sunscreen all the way down to your cleavage and use moisturizer and retinol products there too.

Retinoids are the ONLY thing to clinically show changes to wrinkles. They help build collagen too. Many dermatologists use it in prescription form like the generic tretinoin or the name brand retin-a.

Don't smoke, drink, or use drugs. Stay out of the sun and use sunscreen.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:14 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,737,445 times
Is there anything that can be used on the eye area to treat wrinkles? I heard that it's not good to use retinol type products on the eye area because they make wrinkles look worse.

During the last month or so, I've had at least one can of soda every single day, and I noticed that my eye area looks more wrinkled than usual (must be because of the sugar content in soda). I don't wanna give up my soda though.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:45 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,333,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Is there anything that can be used on the eye area to treat wrinkles? I heard that it's not good to use retinol type products on the eye area because they make wrinkles look worse.

During the last month or so, I've had at least one can of soda every single day, and I noticed that my eye area looks more wrinkled than usual (must be because of the sugar content in soda). I don't wanna give up my soda though.
I have used the highest strength retinoid under my eyes for twenty years with nary a wrinkle. Just make sure you don't get it in your eye. Retinoids will increase skin thickness instead of make it thinner...that's a myth. I do have forehead wrinkles still, but I've had those since I was in my early twenties. they are very small though.

They do make specific products that are retinol for the eye area if you are worried about it.

I wish I had applied retinol to my upper eyelid, as this is the only sign of aging on my face. I also would wear sunglasses in my teens and twenties.

Tip: I also use retinols on my hands and they look fabulous.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:47 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,654,884 times
those little wrinkles you get around your mouth? Those are from drinking through straws.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:30 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,261,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
And sleep in a recliner...on your back....face not touching anything.
D1, you may have been joking, but your spot on. Sleep on your back, and get very soft satin pillowcases just in case your face does touch the pillow. But better if it doesn't. That 's a tip/trick of movie stars from Hollywood's heyday.

Stay out of the sun.

Don't smoke. Don't drink through straws. Keep facial expressions to a minimum. Don't "wrinkle" your forehead.

My oft quoted [in Vogue] dermatologist in San Francisco says that sugar is worse for your skin than heroin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty