Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 01:07 PM

55 posts, read 133,474 times

Advertisements

Most mall stores are targeted towards either tweens or 20-somethings. For those of us 30+, the pickings are slim. I want to know here do you shop for clothes, shoes, and accessories that are age appropriate for the middle age crowd but aren't exactly old lady? And what about plus-size women? Torrid has some nice stuff but it's definitely designed for the under 30 crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 01:18 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,728,922 times
Chicks, Talbots, Sak's,Macy's.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:34 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,562,796 times
I agree this is a problem, and I don't get it. Don't we have more money than teens? Every store in my local mall is geared toward teenagers or maybe young 20 somethings. I'm in my late 40's, and I'd like to look good too, but I want to do it more tastefully and comfortably.

I've fallen into a kind of comfort-style in my old age, which I'm happy with, although perhaps I am not fashionable (I don't really know anymore). I wear mostly dresses at work, from stores/websites like Title Nine, Athleta, and BodenUSA. I also like Chicos occasionally, and sometimes shop at Macy's. Garnetthill (online/catalog) is also good, but the quality and sizing are iffy. Talbots to me is too old lady. Ann Taylor is also good, but doesn't do a lot of super comfortable clothing. I also shop online at Zappos a lot - nothing to lose, since it's free shipping and returns. I look for brands like Michael Kors and Karen Kane (nice plus size at Karen Kane). I used to love JJill, and still lament its fall into old ladyhood. I also adore Anthropologie for any age, although I'm not sure they do plus size.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:42 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,440,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopinchic View Post
Most mall stores are targeted towards either tweens or 20-somethings. For those of us 30+, the pickings are slim. I want to know here do you shop for clothes, shoes, and accessories that are age appropriate for the middle age crowd but aren't exactly old lady? And what about plus-size women? Torrid has some nice stuff but it's definitely designed for the under 30 crowd.
Is 30something middle age?

Anyway, having style is not about a certain age or simply buying everything off of the mannequin. By age 30, a woman should have an idea of what looks good on her body and should literally be able to shop anywhere.

There are many great stores for regular and plus-sized women...forget about age. Age is irrelevant. Cultivate a great sense of style and you won't need to worry about "mall stores". Check out the many style blogs or Pinterest for inspiration.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:39 PM

28,225 posts, read 36,694,357 times
Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Nordstroms. Where do you fall on the "plus sized" spectrum?

NY&co has good options too.

Ann Taylor and Gap sell sizes 18 (20 for Gap) online only. Ny & Co sells up to size 18.

Above size 18? No clue.

Also try online shops like Eshakti. You can get customized clothing based on your measurements, and it is not too expensive. It is really cool, you can add length, change the sleeves and even just get it fully custom sized. The modifications are only like $10 more.

I am in my 30s and get clothing from everywhere ranging from Old Navy, Target, Banana Republic, Forever 21, H&M, Ann Taylor, ASOS, and Dorothy Perkins. As for department store brands? I love Michael Kors and Vince Camuto.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:56 PM

18,438 posts, read 18,551,251 times
I agree , age doesnt matter, as long as you know what suits you, I like suits, always have , more trousers than skirts but either is so dressy and classy.... I did wear a clingy black knee length dress to a big DO, not long ago... but made sure it had long sleeves , as my arms at my age arent my best feature and much better covered up... apart from that Ill wear what I like and what suits me... this dress is same make and very like the one I have although different neckline, but fully lined and sits well.. Im not into dressy clothes as like my denims and casual stuff but this was a special occassion, Im almost 68 TK MAX does me just fine for this kind of thing.... I dont spend a lot on clothes.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:58 PM

55 posts, read 133,474 times
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Old 01-07-2014, 04:40 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,909,979 times
Steinmart & Coldwater Creek have some nice things--if you have time to look carefully. Some of their stuff is not so good, but I've come across some keepers there.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:20 PM

367 posts, read 693,016 times
I like Kohl's ,Macy's and JCPenney.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:35 PM

15,105 posts, read 27,550,358 times
But which stores sell small/petite sizes that aren't for teens? I have to buy 14/16 girls or sometimes find 0,1,2 that fits - not often though - tops are fine, I'm a regular small (although quality out there is a whole different issue).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty