Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 11:51 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attractively Ambigious View Post
I know it wouldn't happen any of the Dixie states like Alabama or Mississippi since he looks too foreign and will alienate a lot of the women there.

Have any ideas where?

Anywhere, I would figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 11:53 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
He would fit in pretty much anywhere in the US. If he were born in America he would be just a regular white guy.

Not sure how someone would call him latino, as he is from Portugal. Americans of Portuguese descent are not common (except in Road Island and Massachusetts), but they fall into the category of white Americans.
Yeah, when I lived in Boston I saw guys who looked like him all over the place. I think his Portuguese Islander (Madeira/Cape Verde) look is pretty common among Lusophones and Latinos alike throughout New England.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:27 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Dafuq?

To me, he doesn't look like an average White American no matter where the hell he's from. He could be from England and still not look White.

White is such a malleable term. Really depends on who you ask.

Most people in Middle America see dark skin, dark hair, dark eyes, and the truth is, many think "non-White". This honestly makes sense because Mediterranean people are very much not like Northern Europeans in terms of physical appearance. The East Coast might be an exception because of the large Mediterranean element in big cities like New York and Boston.

That and genetic race does not exist. Not that this is pertinent to the thread.

But, when you go outside of the East Coast (and especially when you visit the Midwest), the idea of what is White changes DRASTICALLY. Go to Western Michigan and ask them if they think a Portuguese person is White.
Dafuq right back at you!

I live in the Midwest and have for most of my life. In the rural areas there are indeed proportionally more blond/germanic looking types, but I assure you he would not seem exotic in the Midwest if he had American mannerisms. You don't have to be "anglo looking" to be labeled white in America, even out in the sticks of the rural Midwest. Personally I don't really think there is such thing as an "Average White American" in terms of looks, but I agree that certain features are more common regionally because of the immigration patterns back in the day.

I have also have been to Portugal, and the people there would largely be labeled as white if they were raised in American; pretty much just like Italians.

Portuguese Phenotype: The Phenotype of the Portuguese

I also thought it was odd that someone labeled him as latino. Portuguese people can't be latino because Portugal is not part of latin American!

Old 06-24-2014, 12:42 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Gay bar? I take it that is where he met his girlfriend?

Not sure what all the big deal is. Looks like a normal guy to me.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:32 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Dafuq right back at you!

I live in the Midwest and have for most of my life. In the rural areas there are indeed proportionally more blond/germanic looking types, but I assure you he would not seem exotic in the Midwest if he had American mannerisms. You don't have to be "anglo looking" to be labeled white in America, even out in the sticks of the rural Midwest. Personally I don't really think there is such thing as an "Average White American" in terms of looks, but I agree that certain features are more common regionally because of the immigration patterns back in the day.

I have also have been to Portugal, and the people there would largely be labeled as white if they were raised in American; pretty much just like Italians.

Portuguese Phenotype: The Phenotype of the Portuguese

I also thought it was odd that someone labeled him as latino. Portuguese people can't be latino because Portugal is not part of latin American!
But these ideas are just so subjective. What you think of as White is not universal. I know some people in the Midwest "sticks" that think Italians, Spaniards, Portuguese, etc. Mediterranean folk are not White. Again, these are just abstractions and intangible ideas that really mean whatever the person saying them want them to mean.

As far as your comment about Latinos, maybe people would label him as Latino BY APPEARANCE, not by his European background. Let's face it. Many people think Latinos and they think brown skin with dark hair and eyes, they couldn't care less where someone was actually from. Believe it or not these ignorant views still exist.

Again, the point is moot. White can mean whatever. I know some that say Egyptians are White.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:31 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
For the record, I don't think the guy looks Latino, because Latino is not a race, and Latinos could look like anything. Think Marco Rubio vs. Yasiel Puig vs. George Lopez. Neither of them looks alike.

I do think he has a stereotypically Mediterranean coastal look. If that is "White" to some of you, so be it. Doesn't change the fact that there still exist people who think White has to mean fair skinned, brown hair or lighter types. But if we go by the US Census definition of White (aka anyone from Europe, North Africa, or West Asia), then yes. He's "White". Which is a stupid term because the skin tone of Europeans varies so much within itself, and if we include North Africans and West Asians we get even more jumbled. I don't even know how those people became "White". Caucasoid is a more accurate term. "White" is just meaningless. Many East Indians are Caucasoid. Are they White?

Anyway, I am not saying he doesn't look European or that in certain contexts like the East Coast he could pass as a regular American fellow if he had American mannerisms.

Case in point: my family is from Southern Europe on both sides. They came in through New York, some moved to Pittsburgh, and my mom and dad met in Northwest Indiana and had me in Chicago. Growing up I never really checked anything on the census other than White (unless the "other" option was available) because yes, my ancestors are Southern European so according to the US Census we are White.

Ever since I moved to the "country" side of Illinois (south of Interstate 80), I have had people ask me if I am Middle Eastern a lot and occasionally people will ask me if I am Mexican. Which is interesting because I have yet to meet a Mexican who looks like me. The Middle Eastern I get because I am hairy and have a heavy beard and curly dark hair. The Mexican...yeah I think certain people in the sticks do believe that the requirement for looking Mexican is just having dark hair and eyes, and I am pretty sure many of these people never actually met a Middle Eastern person.

So from personal experience, it is possible to both be considered a typical White American (as I have been most of my life), and then go to the other extreme and feel like that ethnic brown guy when I have a typical Midwest accent and my family has been here for many generations to where I don't even know my own cultures. Culturally, I am a typical Chicago Midwesterner, but to certain ethnocentric people with no exposure to anything more ethnic than Dutch people, I am not White.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:34 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
For the record, I don't think the guy looks Latino, because Latino is not a race, and Latinos could look like anything. Think Marco Rubio vs. Yasiel Puig vs. George Lopez. Neither of them looks alike.
While we all know that "latino" is not a race, latinos/hispanics are generally thought of as having darker features. Especially when compared to the notion of the "All-American look". Even fair-skinned Marco Rubio has dark hair. In fact, in most hispanic countries, the majority of the population has dark hair and dark eyes.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:05 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,867 times
Quote:
He would fit in pretty much anywhere in the US. If he were born in America he would be just a regular white guy.

Not sure how someone would call him latino, as he is from Portugal. Americans of Portuguese descent are not common (except in Road Island and Massachusetts), but they fall into the category of white Americans.
I don't believe ROAD Island exists....least of all being a State!

Old 06-25-2014, 07:21 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,981,852 times
Umm, I live in the Deep South, and I would say he'd be welcomed here for sure. His brand would be somewhat of a culture shock around here, but just because you're good looking, doesn't exclude you from living in Dixieland.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:02 AM

836 posts, read 2,947,844 times
Quote:
Latino can be any race, the term refers to someone that speak one language derived from latín, so portuguese people can be named Latino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty