Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:58 PM

33 posts, read 82,548 times

Advertisements

Women at my location hate pastels men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 08:28 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,334 times
Idk OP I once wore a lavender suit with a matching lavender hat and shoes and I got lots of attention from women.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:22 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,448,063 times
I'm not dyslexic, but it is funny when a question can take on a whole different tone with one letter switch and a transposition:
Do most women dislike pasties on men? [I like word play - but, I bet somewhere in the CD digital ether it may have been a question ]

Ok, in all seriousness the color of clothing is a matter of what a few prior posters mentioned: hair color, skin color/tone, build of the individual, quality of the fabric, etc... as jamiecta, ralph_kirk, and others mentioned.

I have purple, blue, green, beige pastels. I'm white and I tan well (southern eastern euro skin) with light eyes - the blue / green complements me (as my fashionable sisters expressed to me in my youth). I've had pink shirt back in the day, but it didn't look good. The dark saturated reds/indigo look better. Same reason why brown, tan and beige most often look poorly on dark skinned peoples. I imagine if there really are 'grey alien people' they'd look poorly in shades of grey .

Being in northern climate the pastels do seem to stand out more than if one was in southern sunbelt areas where the pastel color schemes are more prevalent.

To sheena12's point re: socio economic or cultural I'd agree. Certain groups tend to wear pastels more often but in different contexts.

Leisure pastel sport / dress clothing conjures up images of:

"Hey, Todd, how about a few games of tennis?"
"Not today Hugh, I 'm taking the boat out"
"Do you think Baldwin and Carlisle would be up for it?"
"No they're at the polo tournament in Derbyshire"
"What about Max and Randolph?"
"They're playing 18 holes of golf"

Old 01-20-2014, 09:49 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yeah, but that's not just an effect of color, but of more subtle things such as color quality and fabric. Pastels done cheaply look cheap to someone who has seen esquisite pastel done well and expensively.

In the upper socioeconomic groups, an expensive pastel may pass while a cheap example attempting the same color will fail...not because it's pastel but because cheap pastel looks worse than a cheap deep color.
Because cheap pastel looks faded?

Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 AM

993 posts, read 1,559,884 times
Where'd you hear that?

I don't really care what color shirts a guy wears, but pastels do complement certain skin tones.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:51 AM

12 posts, read 15,013 times
It really depends on the guy wearing it. Generally I like men who wear dark clothes, it makes them look more dangerous and sinister.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:39 PM

8 posts, read 9,787 times
I do. I’m into preppy style so yeah..
Except if it doesn’t really suit him.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:47 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,178 times
OP, I've heard this also from many women including some friends of mine. Personally, I think it can work for or against the dude. It really depends on how he carries himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty