Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
This is something I don't think about at all. I would never notice what other people are carrying, and if I did I would think you got a good deal on a set.

For me? I want the loudest pinkest thing out there, because most people buy boring black or green, and they all look alike on the carousel. I want to be able to find mine fast, and get the heck out of the airport.

That'll be next time, when I actually buy luggage.

Luggage isn't classy. Plastic garbage bags tied up, or boxes half exploded on the carousel? Definitely NOT classy.... but luggage is merely practical.
Same here! I recently retired my hot pink carryon for a bright purple one. Sometimes I alternate my muted teal carryon that has copper trim. No one is jacking my suitcase on the carousel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 01:38 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,542 times
I think that buying matching luggage sets is akin to buying pots and pan sets. You'll end up with some bags / pots you never use and some bags / pots you always use. IMO best idea is to buy what specific bag (s) you need in a print/color you'll find easily, while not letting it look too much like something someone will want to steal. My friend spent thousands on a LV set she has only used once, and when I traveled with her I cringed - the luggage looked SO pricey that I was sure someone would walk off with it at some point.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:38 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Anyone who travels with more than one piece of luggage - NOT counting an under-seat size flight bag - is packing way too much.
It doesn't matter if you are going away for a week or a month, one large suitcate will and should be sufficient for the experienced traveller.
I make do with a firm-sided and/or expandable carry-on for most trips, excepting journeys with great variations in weather or social circumstance. Think long cruises or destination weddings to Norway!

If I own a matching pair or set it is purely coincidental as I usually don't carry the matching pieces with me at the same time.
Of course, if your mate carries the smaller matching piece, that would be a sheer coincidence also.
Class has nothing to do with it, IMHO.
I had a great duffle that packed beautifully -- because when I go back home, I usually have to take a large quilt with me -- and it rolled up to back in the suitcase.

Last trip with the quilt that was the size of my dining room, the bag ripped to pieces, but the quilt was fine.

Since I always travel back home to Pittsburgh, and I call when I get in for my sister to pick me up, and I always take Southwest because I prefer puddle jumping than a straight through (Hey -- I got quirks!), my two bags get checked. I have to wait anyway....

Old 01-21-2014, 03:04 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,268,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
If the luggage is classy individually then together they will also be classy or elegant, as I say. Matching is a good thing with luggage, IMO.
^^^^ I agree

Old 01-21-2014, 10:20 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,675 times
You may not want to be so concerned with how cool your luggage looks and may want to pay more attention to how secure it is. I know it isn't foolproof, but I use plastic tie wraps through my zipper pulls to prevent this from happening:
Caught on Tape: Airport Employee Robs Passenger's Suitcases | Video - ABC News
(yes, I know there are still ways to get into the bag, and they certainly can cut the plastic. But I don't put valuables in my bags - I ship them ahead -- and I just want to slow them down.)

Also - you get so worried about matchy matchy - but at the end of the day ALL bags on those carousels match! They get dirty and worn. Caught on Tape: Airport Employee Robs Passenger's Suitcases | Video - ABC News You going to replace the checked bags and not the carryon? I look for a couple of things: good interior pockets; solid construction and good wheels that turn all directions; lightweight but sturdy; right size handle for my height... I buy a couple of suitcases a year and I still use some of my old ones depending on the trip. I try hard to only carry on, but sometimes there's just too many obligations for the trip and I have to check a bag. (Trips to Hawaii require lots of food from Trader Joes! They don't have one there so the gifts need to be flowin' when I get to family and friend's homes...)

All that being said, if I'm going to be picked up by a business client, I'll try to use one of my cleanest and best looking bags for the trip. Don't want the Client picking me up in the limo and I've got the Beverly Hillbillies suitcase with me!!

Old 01-23-2014, 12:40 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,875 times
I have a black carry on suitcase that I either bring on plane or check and take a carry on smaller piece that matches the suitcase. Both black by Tumi. Have had this luggage for twelve years and counting. I have assorted Longchamp totes that I stuff odd shaped items in and my kids stuff. I have about four different colors that all look nice with black. Simple but elegant. I like that black doesn't show dirt and that is important to me.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,854,815 times
With the advent of wheels, ours has tended to get mismatched. We bought a set of tapestry suitcases from French in the 80s and enjoyed them. Since bought the plastic covers that fit on them as well for jet travel. Had wheels put on the the big pullman from the French company. They still look great after 30 years. Also inherited LV set (80's vintage) from brother and only use those when traveling in the car. Then have some plain carryons that are black and one red. Also, 2 big pullmans with wheels that we use when going to Europe. Granted, too many but it is nice to choose when going someplace. I would NEVER check the LV. Only goes in the trunk of the car.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:15 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,944,403 times
I don't see how matching luggage could be tacky. I think it's fine either way.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:21 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Practical, good quality and cost effective would be my goal without caring how "classy" or "tacky" someone else thought my luggage is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty