Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 01:32 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times

Advertisements

The full windbreaker suits were the best, I really wish I could still wear them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 01:35 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
Yeah a lot of big permed hair, high-waisted jeans, backward baseball caps, fluoro.etc.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:37 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Yes, I lived in San Francisco then and knew many people whose arms were completely tattooed, and some who had facial tattoos and multiple facial piercings, as well as genital piercings. Not my thing, but to each his or her own.

The 90s fashions will never be as revolting to me as the 80s, with the big, permed hair, overalls, and high-waisted jeans.

J.C. Penney 1987 Denim Commercial Is Totally Rad, Ridiculous (VIDEO, POLL)
Agree !

Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,397 times
I think people in general had a more optimistic "playful" spirit in the 80's/90's. Now everyone my age (Late 20's) is just depressed and has a bleak outlook on society. :/ Also if you watch tv shows (which seem to influence fashion) a lot of the actors/actresses dress the same. That or they dress very nice with clothes we would never wear on the street. Look back at "Friends" and they wore clothes that everyone could wear out.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:27 AM

741 posts, read 1,287,877 times
Does anyone else remember the trend where skeggins were popular? At least for the crowd who was in elementary school in the 90s? Leggings sewn under a skirt, usually with a think elastic waistband. Perfect "gym" attire.

LOL

Old 01-22-2014, 09:31 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Back in the day, girl's jeans often had no back pockets; the smooth look always made a lady's posterior more attractive at any age.
Utterly untrue. The only thing that makes women's rear ends look wider than pants with too-small back pockets are pants with NO back pockets. Jeans with no back pockets are simply the worst (and basically impossible to find outside the geriatric, elastic waist chambray trouser-style jeans popular with elderly women seeking a casual look).

Old 01-22-2014, 12:28 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,404,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Utterly untrue. The only thing that makes women's rear ends look wider than pants with too-small back pockets are pants with NO back pockets. Jeans with no back pockets are simply the worst (and basically impossible to find outside the geriatric, elastic waist chambray trouser-style jeans popular with elderly women seeking a casual look).
Oh, yuck. There's a reason that those jeans are sold in variety catalogs right along side the "personal massagers". I was flipping through one of those catalogs at my mother's house and I remarked to her that anyone who orders their wardrobe through these catalogs pretty much has to take matters into their own hands.

The rise, fit, and positioning of the pockets all have a lot to do with whether someone's backside looks like an apple or a coal shovel.

Anyhow, I remember the bicycle shorts under the boxers look. Vaguely remember the skeggings. I do remember the leggings under skirts or flared tunics and shirts with belled - out sleeves. And patterned stockings. Good god, I remember having a pair of lime-green stockings and wearing a pair of black fishnets over top.

And rayon or even see through button-down shirts with a spaghetti strap tank top underneath.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:58 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,490,654 times
I just remembered the tee-shirt/body suit thingies that snapped together at the crotch! Oh my those were terrible. Made going to the restroom extra fun too.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:24 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,404,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I just remembered the tee-shirt/body suit thingies that snapped together at the crotch! Oh my those were terrible. Made going to the restroom extra fun too.
Wow! Completely forgot about those!

Old 01-23-2014, 05:46 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The "sloppy" look you reference was related to the grunge movement. I'm one of those Gen Xers who never changed. I still wear flannels, plain t-shirts, and maintain an unkempt appearance (as much as I can with a real job now).

It's still convenient and cheap. That never goes out of style in my book.
I like some of the music and artists from that era, but the fashion just seems very bland and sloppy. Maybe it was some sort of rebellion following the 80's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty