Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 12:21 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
There's so much variation now in how people look at various ages, I doubt it's possible to accurately guess a person's age (based on looks alone) on a consistent basis. By the time someone appears to be 60+, I couldn't tell you if they are 65 or 85.

If you looked at my mother and her younger sister, you would probably guess my aunt (tan, weathered skin, smoked and drank for many years and loves the outdoors) to be at least 10 years older than my mother (indoors person, sunscreen fanatic, drinks lots of water).
You really hit the nail on the head with this post! I think think the smoking, drinking and sun-worshipping of earlier generations is what caused the premature aging that created the remarkably lasting impressions people have of 50 being little old lady territory. Most of the 40-something women I know these days, and even some of the 50-yr-old ones, look like college students. All of these women avoided the sun, got plenty of sleep, and didn't smoke or drink. Most have never worked out, but simply watched their diets, eating healthfully, to stay slim. Most are child-free, as well; no baby weight to have to lose.

Times have changed tremendously, as have personal habits, for the better, in most cases, IMO.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-10-2018 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 02:07 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Most of the 40-something women I know these days, and even some of the 50-yr-old ones, look like college students.
Just no. Simply a gross exaggeration. Now a 40-something woman today may look much younger than a 40-something woman from decades ago but take away all that makeup and hair colored dye and she will not pass as a college student. Just no.

My company employs a lot of people from all ages and there is a definite visual distinction between the 40+ women compared to the college students. Even looking at my recent graduation reunion all the women do not look like they belong in college, unless they are professors.

I go to the gym and while 40+ women may have good builds, you can tell the age by the face. There is no hiding crows feet.

But if you think this is an attack on older women men my age do not look like they are college students. No 40+ male I've ever seen looks like they attend college unless as a professor.

Most 40 year olds look their age. Please no one post their picture and ask to guess your age. It's sad and pathetic.

I'm not even going to bother mentioning the 50+ crowd.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:15 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Just no. Simply a gross exaggeration. Now a 40-something woman today may look much younger than a 40-something woman from decades ago but take away all that makeup and hair colored dye and she will not pass as a college student. Just no.

My company employs a lot of people from all ages and there is a definite visual distinction between the 40+ women compared to the college students. Even looking at my recent graduation reunion all the women do not look like they belong in college, unless they are professors.

I go to the gym and while 40+ women may have good builds, you can tell the age by the face. There is no hiding crows feet.

But if you think this is an attack on older women men my age do not look like they are college students. No 40+ male I've ever seen looks like they attend college unless as a professor.

Most 40 year olds look their age. Please no one post their picture and ask to guess your age. It's sad and pathetic.

I'm not even going to bother mentioning the 50+ crowd.
Well, many of us would have to disagree with you. I personally have a few friends in the 40 to 50 range, and the one who is 50, the day I met her I was sitting 6 inches from her face and I guessed her age late 20s, no lie! Not one line or flaw, beautiful. The 40 year old I met the same day, and also guessed 20s. These are natural beauties who have never had any "work done", and one doesn't even wear makeup.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:24 PM

I work with the public, work with a lot of employees from all age ranges, and go the gym on a frequent basis at different times. I go out occasionally and always eat out at least once a week.

I see a lot of 40+ men and women who have wrinkles on their faces. I see some 40+ men and women who can pass for 10 years younger. 20? Yeah no. Get a new prescription once you start thinking your peer group can still pass off for college.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:19 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I work with the public, work with a lot of employees from all age ranges, and go the gym on a frequent basis at different times. I go out occasionally and always eat out at least once a week.

I see a lot of 40+ men and women who have wrinkles on their faces. I see some 40+ men and women who can pass for 10 years younger. 20? Yeah no. Get a new prescription once you start thinking your peer group can still pass off for college.

Ever heard of May Wang and her daughters? I’ve been amazed by them since seeing them in the Daily Mail a few years ago. Even the seventy something dad looks fifty. The youngest daughter who is nearly forty looks like a teenager. My Asian friends have always looked great and I was told to eat rice if I wanted to age well and looking at this family, they may be onto something.

This 63-year-old mother looks younger than her daughters | KiwiReport

Old 08-10-2018, 05:32 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
It is shocking to come to terms with aging. You have to face it head-on.

I would describe myself as "formerly attractive."

I don't know how "attractive" I am considered right now for my age - no idea, and don't care. I did come to terms with it and it's "all good."

P.S. I think it's a "dumb system" that you can be super attractive and then turn to ****, but I guess I will get insight into this in the afterlife.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Ever heard of May Wang and her daughters? I’ve been amazed by them since seeing them in the Daily Mail a few years ago. Even the seventy something dad looks fifty. The youngest daughter who is nearly forty looks like a teenager. My Asian friends have always looked great and I was told to eat rice if I wanted to age well and looking at this family, they may be onto something.

Where I live there are a lot of Asians. I've yet to see a 40+ Asian woman who could pass off for a 20 twentysomething. It's all in the face.

And that 63 y/o mother looks good for her age. Minus her dyed hair and makeup? It would be nice to see. But I do find it off-putting when a woman tries to dress as if she's still in college when she's past middle aged.

FYI I don't think it's appropriate either for 40+ men to dress in skateboarder gear. Or have a ponytail either in case there are those who think I'm targeting 40+ women.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:50 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post

Those women look incredible. And pretty much like the 50 year old friend I described. As I said, when I met her I was sitting right next to her, she had on little (if any) makeup and her face was smoother than a 20 year olds. She actually lied about her age then and said she was 42 an I was shocked, but months later I saw on Facebook she was celebrating her 50th birthday! She is not Asian but Latina.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:19 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Those women look incredible. And pretty much like the 50 year old friend I described. As I said, when I met her I was sitting right next to her, she had on little (if any) makeup and her face was smoother than a 20 year olds. She actually lied about her age then and said she was 42 an I was shocked, but months later I saw on Facebook she was celebrating her 50th birthday! She is not Asian but Latina.
Women with an olive tint to their skin seem to age well and genetics helps too. There are some ladies out there over forty who don’t have crows feet and wrinkles. This lady you described is one of the lucky ones!

Old 08-11-2018, 09:25 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I run into women (and men) all the time that I had not seen in years and in many cases I am shocked. They were once so beautiful or handsome and now they look terrible.

I think it must impact women more than men because our sick society judges women more on their looks than men. These women were real knockouts in their day and their whole self identity was their beauty and sex appeal.

Can you relate? Have you lost your looks as you have aged and if so what do you think about it?

(I never was that good looking in the first place so getting old and looking not so good is not as much of a shock!)
Time respects nothing and nobody. Time is the great equalizer. We will all suffer, die, and become dust in the fullness of time.

That said, the effects of time are not necessarily *linear* at all. In my 40's, women seem to find me significantly more attractive than they did when I was younger. I think that's not uncommon for men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty