Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 04:25 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
less sun-worshipping and smoking...means many looking younger..

I see many 40-50 yr olds that look 25-35

attitude , stress, how they are treated.. self respect...(no substance abuse) all come into play..

some women ..10-20 lbs overweight ....can actually look better than a skinny/so called ideal weight …. in fact ive seen many skinny ladies look 10 yrs older...

go back look at family photos...… some 50 yr olds(back then) look like 80 yr olds today..... could be due to smoking/wars/stress/hard labor jobs..

my sister reminded me im only two yrs younger than both our grandfathers when they died....and they looked 70-75..... I can still bench 300 lbs and many tell me I look 40-ish

people consumed a ton more sugar back then too in soda.. sugars are the real food demons... for inflammation
all the processed food is much worse now as is the junk people put on their bodies full of toxins.. all thats changed is hairdos and botox..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 06:50 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I agree that keeping one's weight down, having a flattering hairstyle and wearing stylish clothes have a lot to do with how young one looks. It is surprising when watching 1950's movies and TV shows to see what women in their 40's and 50's looked like then -- for the most part, anyway. Frances Bavier was only 57 when she started The Andy Griffith Show as Aunt Bee, and compare that with how Julianne Moore looks today at 57 (or even Helen Mirren at 72).

Old 08-14-2018, 01:32 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
The thing that confounds me . . .

Some people age in a way that they look the same as always, just older, and some people age in a way that they are unrecognizable because all the features change as well.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:50 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
The most dramatic change I have seen of famous people is James Spader.

Good thing he's such a great actor. Kathleen Turner was kind of shocking too....

Then you've got Raquel Welch and Jane Fonda---looking fab at 80! WOW.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:08 PM

296 posts, read 265,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
The most dramatic change I have seen of famous people is James Spader.

Good thing he's such a great actor. Kathleen Turner was kind of shocking too....

Then you've got Raquel Welch and Jane Fonda---looking fab at 80! WOW.
Kathleen Turner was struck by rheumatoid arthritis decades ago, she tried to keep it hidden but the medications they had back then (like long term use of prednisone) did change her looks, her face looked puffy and somewhat distorted. Sad.

Jane Fonda has had a lot of (well done) plastic surgery and probably, like a lot of celebs, started young in sort of a preemptive strike against aging, and when people do this the changes are so subtle some will swear that they had nothing done, despite having facial and neck skin tight at a drum.

Raquel Welch has had some work, but not that much, and frankly she was stunning and had the skin type that doesn't age poorly.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:51 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danica32 View Post
Kathleen Turner was struck by rheumatoid arthritis decades ago, she tried to keep it hidden but the medications they had back then (like long term use of prednisone) did change her looks, her face looked puffy and somewhat distorted. Sad.

Jane Fonda has had a lot of (well done) plastic surgery and probably, like a lot of celebs, started young in sort of a preemptive strike against aging, and when people do this the changes are so subtle some will swear that they had nothing done, despite having facial and neck skin tight at a drum.

Raquel Welch has had some work, but not that much, and frankly she was stunning and had the skin type that doesn't age poorly.

Turner

Amazing to me people denigrate those just growing older or those fighting diseases

...not losing anything, just different.

And you hail those with multiple surgeries for looking great. Strange concept.

You too OP will grow old and "lose YOUR looks"....
as will all the rest of you that are chastising your elders for AGING.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:02 PM

296 posts, read 265,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Turner

Amazing to me people denigrate those just growing older or those fighting diseases

...not losing anything, just different.

And you hail those with multiple surgeries for looking great. Strange concept.

You too OP will grow old and "lose YOUR looks"....
as will all the rest of you that are chastising your elders for AGING.
No, I didn’t say that Jane Fonda looked good I said her surgeries were done well, she doesn’t look deformed like some do.
And I also wasn’t being critical of Kathleen Turner- where the H are you getting that? I was educating the poster about why perhaps her looks had change- disease and medication.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:20 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I run into women (and men) all the time that I had not seen in years and in many cases I am shocked. They were once so beautiful or handsome and now they look terrible.

I think it must impact women more than men because our sick society judges women more on their looks than men. These women were real knockouts in their day and their whole self identity was their beauty and sex appeal.

Can you relate? Have you lost your looks as you have aged and if so what do you think about it?

(I never was that good looking in the first place so getting old and looking not so good is not as much of a shock!)
I was quite "hot" in my 20's. Now, in my 50's, I feel I look older than my years. I don't know what to attribute it to. Some people just age better than others. I know women in their 50's who could stop traffic.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:09 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I’m 40 and don’t have wrinkles. So this typically means people guess I am quite a bit younger. I have a lot of wrinkle free friends. It is hard to know these days. Women from age 24-50 can look really similar.
My skin is thin and fair. That and my basic facial structure caused me to have crows feet and forehead wrinkles while still in high school. Growing up in South Florida at the beach , out on the boat etc is tough on the skin.

When I see a middle aged woman around here without wrinkles, she’s usually from the PNW
or has spent her time indoors.

Just look at the variations in wrinkles when different people smile. Some hardly wrinkle at all, no matter what age.

Facial structure is something many don’t consider.

I was chubby when I was younger and not much to look at.

Now I guess it’s different. I’m thin, have really nice hair (neither male nor female hair loss is a thing in my family) , and other women my age have caught up or surpassed me in the wrinkle department. I keep my hair dark and long; both are supposed to be no-no’s but work for me.

Then again, I’ve seen plenty of “unwrinkled” women who still look old or middle aged, whichever. They just happen to have nice skin.

It’s just all really odd.

Having nice teeth is really important too. Getting mine fixed was the best “beauty” investment ever.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 08-25-2018 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty