Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:10 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,715 times

Advertisements

I run into women (and men) all the time that I had not seen in years and in many cases I am shocked. They were once so beautiful or handsome and now they look terrible.

I think it must impact women more than men because our sick society judges women more on their looks than men. These women were real knockouts in their day and their whole self identity was their beauty and sex appeal.

Can you relate? Have you lost your looks as you have aged and if so what do you think about it?

(I never was that good looking in the first place so getting old and looking not so good is not as much of a shock!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:18 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
...Can you relate? Have you lost your looks as you have aged and if so what do you think about it?

(I never was that good looking in the first place so getting old and looking not so good is not as much of a shock!)
I was a handsome young man, I was a handsome middle aged man. Now I am at my very best, a run-of-the-mill seventy-five year old, and most of the time I, due to health, I am not at my very best. Life be that way. I consider it of no importance, and it never occurred to me that it would be otherwise.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:48 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,472,476 times
Back when I was dating last year I went out on a few dates with women that you could tell were rather attractive back in their 20's but middle age had not been so kind.(Probably why they used pictures that were 10+ years old on their profile) One kept talking about all of the boyfriends that she had in college and how she used to model, etc... Could not figure out why I never pursued her after the first date. She lived in the past and apparently never looked in the mirror or hopped on a scale. If she would have acted her age I could have overlooked some wrinkles and the few extra pounds. But being stuck mentally in her 20's was a turn off.

I say embrace the age that you are and try to take care of yourself the best you can.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:19 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Brigitte Nielsen.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:28 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I run into women (and men) all the time that I had not seen in years and in many cases I am shocked. They were once so beautiful or handsome and now they look terrible.

I think it must impact women more than men because our sick society judges women more on their looks than men. These women were real knockouts in their day and their whole self identity was their beauty and sex appeal.

Can you relate? Have you lost your looks as you have aged and if so what do you think about it?

People who are good-looking often cannot psychologically handle losing their looks. I worked with this guy years ago who was the office heartthrob - ex-jock, All-American quarterback type. Tall, athletic, etc. Well, one day I walked into the office after not having seen him in a while, and I noticed that his fortysomething self had started to get a bit snowy and bald on top. I made a lighthearted comment about it, and this normally affable guy got real angry and nasty. He started attacking me about my weight, and after I got over the shock of it, I told him this:

"The difference between you and me is that I have always been ugly. I was ugly when I was young, and I will be ugly when I am old. I have always been aware of that. You are going bald now, and you can't handle that your looks are fading and you've got nothing else going for you. It's a tough pill for you to swallow. Welcome to the world of the unattractive man. Enjoy yourself."

Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
Since the age of facebook I have looked up many of my classmates from high school. I haven't seen them since we went to school together.

I was shocked to see that most guys either got fat, grew a massive beard or just got completely bald since then. I could hardly recognize most. Especially the ones who were handsome little boys back then, turned into non attractive adults. I didn't see it coming in most cases.

Regarding girls - most of my former class mates are pretty women now, a few got pretty fat, but it was foreseeable, since their parents are overweight or they were chubby back then already.

As for me, I was an ugly teenager, so I can say, I have changed/matured in a good way.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:03 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,820,339 times
I remember attending a Thanksgiving Dinner in 1979 and meeting a beautiful woman. She was the wife of my mom's friends father (if that makes sense). She mentioned she would soon turn 40 and I was amazed someone that old (I was only 12 so 40 seemed old to me) could look so good.

I never saw that woman again until 10 years later in 1989 and she looked like a completely different woman. She lost all her looks and looked downright ugly to me. Plus she seemed depressed. A completely different human being than I met a decade before. Then a couple years later I heard she died of "natural causes" when she was only in her early 50s.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:04 AM

95 posts, read 204,220 times
I will not allow this to happen to me. I have had four nosejobs, 2 facelifts, 2 tummy tucks, multiple liposuction procedures, a ******* lift, calf implants, a moob removal, a chin cleft implant, lip enhancements, and a couple other procedures that elude me at the moment. Some say I resemble Skeletor now, but I say I look and feel like 8 million bucks! And that's how much it's cost me, because insurance won't even cover it. Stupid Obamacare!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:05 AM

Most guys I met through online dating lost their looks COMPLETELY since they posted their "recently taken" profile pics.

UGH. Some of them I didn't even recognize.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean33 View Post
i will not allow this to happen to me. I have had four nosejobs, 2 facelifts, 2 tummy tucks, multiple liposuction procedures, a ******* lift, calf implants, a moob removal, a chin cleft implant, lip enhancements, and a couple other procedures that elude me at the moment.
]

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty