Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:32 AM

175 posts, read 287,933 times

Advertisements

Target is trying to distance itself by offering designer collaborations etc. Walmart would never do something like that. My target in West Hollywood is definatley upscale. We dont even have a walmart here, but the few ive ever been to are horrifying.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
I don't care for Walmart and do not shop there.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:06 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Guessing the fashionable ones won't step foot in a Walmart because of its reputation for everything that's been mentioned. It is indeed a big difference. I used to go to Walmart a lot because it was right down the road. Now that neither are, I'll choose Target because it is definitely a more pleasant experience overall. Prices also tend to reflect that.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:13 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I'll choose Target because it is definitely a more pleasant experience overall. Prices also tend to reflect that.
When it boils down to it Target and WalMart are very similar, with similar goods and similar business practices, but I find WalMart to be a dismal, depressing place to shop. It's grey and feels like shopping in a warehouse or an airplane hangar. Target just seems brighter, cleaner, and yes, cooler.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:27 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
this seems like more of a rhetorical question.

you get what you pay for. i will never shop at wal-mart again. associates are rude and the customers are stupid & inconsiderate(always in the way). the only reason i went there in the first place was the pick up a christmas gift. the tv's were ridiculously cheap.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:37 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
As a fashionably dressed woman , yes, I like Target but can't stand Walmart. Aside from the ambiance as others noted, I also don't agree that they carry the same merchandise. Target has a lot of very trendy, fashion-forward, bright, unique products that are exclusive to them - clothes being one, but also housewares, accessories, children's merchandise, etc. They switch up their collections seasonally and have a lot of very cute things, and though I generally don't shop there for clothing due to poor-ish quality, I'm not opposed to picking up a cute trendy item or accessory, and also go there for things like underwear, sleep and lounge wear, kids clothes, etc. Their designer collabs are kinda cool too.
I've only ever been to Walmart a couple times in my life, but from what I've seen, the merchandise is a LOT more plain and boring and cheap, the clothes are all either polyester sacks or trash-tastic junk, everything is cheap and plasticky and there's even a pervasive smell of cheap plastic throughout. Not to mention the customers...ick, no thanks.

This pretty much describes it accurately, lol

Old 01-31-2014, 10:37 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Walmart is trying to improve their image and attract more upscale customers with their latest "SHOP TILL YOU DROP" ad campaign. I'm not sure some of the customers got the right idea though.

Don

Old 01-31-2014, 10:39 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I am not a Walmart basher but really dislike going there. Sometimes I feel like I need to take a shower afterwards. I go there primarily because Target doesn't carry as much merchandise at our closest store. I do agree that it depends which WM you go to. The one in Roseville CA and Longmont CO are nice. We also like the King of Prussia in PA. Didn't bother me to go to these when visiting. Now the one on the southside of San Antonio, ugh!!

Old 01-31-2014, 10:43 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Also, Target has really upped its game lately with regards to trendy clothes, accessories, jewelery, etc., and the result is that it's been picked up by fashion blogs - you have a lot of bloggers actively wearing pieces from Target alongside high-end designers; of course everything always looks great on them, and blog readers go 'omg, that's from TARGET??' and run out to buy one themselves, as everyone can afford it unlike the high-end stuff.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:03 AM

159 posts, read 397,101 times
I seldom visit Walmart but on several occasions, I have been harassed by a bums in the parking lot or outside the store (and these were in OK areas in AZ and CA). Been to Target many many times and I have only seen one, standing at the parking lot entrance with a sign. And then there is peopleofwalmart.com ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty