Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:41 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times

Advertisements

I need to buy new luggage, thanks to my cat who decided my current 2 favorite suitcases would make terrific scratching posts. I've been looking around and trying to decide what I want, and I got curious as to what everyone thinks about matching luggage.

Growing up, my dad always insisted on having matching luggage for himself. My mom didn't think it was important, and to this day, she has an assortment of incredibly mismatched bags.

I've always liked the idea of matched luggage and my inclination is to buy a set. However, I heard another customer in a department store claim that it was tacky to have matched luggage. This surprised me.

Thoughts? Is it important to you to have matching luggage, or are you okay with mismatched pieces assembled from TJ Maxx?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:58 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
If the luggage is classy individually then together they will also be classy or elegant, as I say. Matching is a good thing with luggage, IMO.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:01 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
This is something I don't think about at all. I would never notice what other people are carrying, and if I did I would think you got a good deal on a set.

For me? I want the loudest pinkest thing out there, because most people buy boring black or green, and they all look alike on the carousel. I want to be able to find mine fast, and get the heck out of the airport.

That'll be next time, when I actually buy luggage.

Luggage isn't classy. Plastic garbage bags tied up, or boxes half exploded on the carousel? Definitely NOT classy.... but luggage is merely practical.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:10 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
I bought matching, and they are both purple. I never go anywhere long enough to use them both so it really doesn't matter.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:42 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
I thought matching luggage was so you could recognize it all at the air port?

Old 01-21-2014, 05:45 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
European friends who are well traveled say that you can always tell the tourists by their matching luggage.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:07 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
Why would you care about matching luggage? It sits in the hold of a jet.

When I last needed a new piece, I bought the cheapest samsonite I could at TJ Maxx. In fact, I bought one with a very visible cosmetic defect. I travel frequently (some 30 flights per year for the last 3 years), and luggage theft occurs all too often. The last thing I want my luggage to look like is "worth robbing."

Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Who cares ? If you want your luggage to match go for it. I personally would love to have all Saddleback leather luggage but can't afford to spend $1500 on luggage I only use a couple times a year.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:42 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
We have a set of luggage so I guess it's "match". Got it when we were married as a gift for the honeymoon. I never paid much mind to it since it does match but if it didn't my OCD would probably kick in.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:05 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I need to buy new luggage, thanks to my cat who decided my current 2 favorite suitcases would make terrific scratching posts. I've been looking around and trying to decide what I want, and I got curious as to what everyone thinks about matching luggage.

Growing up, my dad always insisted on having matching luggage for himself. My mom didn't think it was important, and to this day, she has an assortment of incredibly mismatched bags.

I've always liked the idea of matched luggage and my inclination is to buy a set. However, I heard another customer in a department store claim that it was tacky to have matched luggage. This surprised me.

Thoughts? Is it important to you to have matching luggage, or are you okay with mismatched pieces assembled from TJ Maxx?
I bought coordinating, but not matched. I do think matchy matchy from overnight bag to largest case is a bit dated, unless it's very simple, like all black. Also, when you buy a set, you usually pay more than you need to and don't get the best type of bag in each size. For example, I used to have a set which included
every size, but I never used the overnighter because I preferred other bags with more pockets, wearability, etc. Now I'm happy with my collection of bags - one large hard-sided black Samsonite, one medium soft-side expandable black Samsonite (which I use the most), and a selection of large totes and backpacks that I use as carry-ons. I also have a wheeled duffle, which seemed like a good idea at the time, but I've never used it. I recommend thinking first about exactly what kind of bag you want in each size and type, and then buying just those in a quality brand (I've had my Samsonites for almost 20 years and they still look great). Realistically, no one really needs more than two large bags, and given the fees for luggage today, one large and one medium is about the limit. I'd skip the overnight or tote, since you can get better options and more versatility outside of a luggage collection. Also, bear in mind that anything that looks fancy or stands out too much is a magnet for thieves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty