Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 12:52 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Yeah but most people commenting on the obesity epidemic, aren't doing so because they care for the health and well-being of larger people. They want to be self-righteous and attack any attempts heavy people make at gaining self-esteem. Many overweight people suffer from low self-esteem...."tough love" and ridiculing them like it's for their own good rarely works. If it did, we wouldn' have such an overweight nation.

Plenty of young women (particularly middle and upper middle class) suffer from being too thin. Our culture glamorizes thin, so we see them as "normal."
I've always wondered if there was no 'pressure' to be thin if the obesity epidemic would actually be higher or lower. If people continually told overweight/obese people they look great/attractive/healthy why would they even want to change their lifestyle? Too much positive reinforcement about accepting your own bodyweight however heavy would not work and make matters worse.

I find it ironic that for a culture that glamorizes thin, we buck the trend and get fatter and fatter. Very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 05:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I've always wondered if there was no 'pressure' to be thin if the obesity epidemic would actually be higher or lower. If people continually told overweight/obese people they look great/attractive/healthy why would they even want to change their lifestyle? Too much positive reinforcement about accepting your own bodyweight however heavy would not work and make matters worse.

I find it ironic that for a culture that glamorizes thin, we buck the trend and get fatter and fatter. Very sad.
Maybe we should glamorize "healthy" instead of "thin."

It's easier to achieve for the average person.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Anyone who has witnessed a red carpet event in person can tell you how stunted and sickly many famous female models and actresses look in real life Through the camera lense, you see an added 10 lbs, professional makeup, hair, lighting, and a pro photographer painstakingly posing them into the correct angle before the pic is taken; this all happens before it is even sent to be photoshopped.

When I first saw these people in person, I referred to them as "Bobble Heads." They are tiny, unhealthy looking, stunted, and their bodies are so small that they literally look out of proportion with huge heads. Sorry, but I will never agree that most models are of normal weight, nor that normal means heavy.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:34 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post

You raise a pretty good point with this statement. It is a bit of a paradox, is it not?

We do have a trend toward getting fatter, and there are a lot of reasons for it, some more subtle than others. A few posts ago one woman mentioned buying dishes in 1980 or so and then doing it again a few years ago and noted the bowl sizes were much larger today. That is a subtle but downright logical contributor, wouldn't you agree? I've contended that the rise of screen-based entertainment is a major contributor as well, as we have made the television experience better and better for audiences, and watching tv and snacking go hand in hand. And don't even get me going on video games!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:24 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
No one hates fat people. But come on that girl is not just hefty or big bone. You can look at her arms and tell that she is probably carrying more weight than necessary for her frame. I'm not thin myself. I'm a 6-8, and I can never get under a size 6 or be as thin as my sisters who are both size 2. It's just the way if is. That girl does not have to be thin to be healthy. BUT she looks bigger than just a hefty girl or a girl with a large body frame. Point blank period. To deny it, is a huge injustice to us all...
Size 6-8 is thin. Huh?

Old 02-04-2014, 09:28 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,270,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Size 6-8 is thin. Huh?
No it isn't thin lmao. Reread the post. I said that I not thin. And that I can never be thin as my sisters who are both 2's which is thin by my definition of the word. I consider myself thick/curvy. Comprehension is crucial.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:02 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
No it isn't thin lmao. Reread the post. I said that I not thin. And that I can never be thin as my sisters who are both 2's which is thin by my definition of the word. I consider myself thick/curvy. Comprehension is crucial.
No, I don't need to re-read the post. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my reading comprehension either. A size 6-8 is considered "thin" (as in, being of a lean body mass) to many people, obviously excepting you. What you personally think of yourself is all fine and dandy. At a size 6-8 and a BMI of 20, I was thin and curvy. I wasn't skinny but I was definitely thin.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 AM

686 posts, read 1,230,653 times
I had to go back and review some of the Disney movies and how the women were portrayed. Seems to me that most all women had the same type bodies except for the blatantly fat women who ate constantly.

Look at this video where Cinderella's ugly step sisters were slightly skinnier than her. You can see Cinderella is more HEALTHY looking. Not fat, not skinny, but HEALTHY and NORMAL looking.

Cinderella-stepsisters spoil her dress - YouTube

I think Disney needs to go back to making their animated women look more like Ichabod Crane's Katrina. She was hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9fkYn8EZ9k

Also, lets not forget Daphne and Velma. Daphne has the typical "Disney" princess body and Velma is more "normal sized". They both look good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geGCQIrg7yA

If people just want Disney to make a fat princesses just take a look at Lilo and Stitch. Wasn't the little girl in that movie a princess? She was quite the little chunkster if I recall. I still think its a horrible idea and a horrible message to send by having a fat Disney princess. We should not send the message to kids that its okay to be fat. With the obesity problem with kids no days we should send messages about health, fitness, etc.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
No, I don't need to re-read the post. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my reading comprehension either. A size 6-8 is considered "thin" (as in, being of a lean body mass) to many people, obviously excepting you. What you personally think of yourself is all fine and dandy. At a size 6-8 and a BMI of 20, I was thin and curvy. I wasn't skinny but I was definitely thin.
Retread your post to me. You said "6-8 is thin?" Followed by a frown. As if you were disputing the fact or didnt agree.

Now I'm assuming you meant "6-8 isn't thin?"

Old 02-04-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
And you are the spoke person of most people? The people I know of think 8 is average looking, that size 4-6 is small, and that a size 0-2 is thin. This is why celebs that are bigger than a size 4 and are in the size 6-8 are often NOT described as thin. Matter of fact when Beyonce first came out she was a size-6-8 and everyone said she was fat/thick. She is now a size 2-4 and STILL isn't considered thin. Kim k is a size 4 and is also considered small but curvy but not thin. Again this is based on what the public says, and if the public is calling Kim k fat or beyonce thunder thighs, then it's obvious that not everyone(or even most) has the same perception of what size or look is considered thin. And how did you come up with a BMI based on clothing pants size?

Look I don't think a size 6/8 is big or fat, I consider it average or slightly thinner than average and depending on the body type it can mean one is curvy, or lean. I think it's a healthy size though, for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty