Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 03:45 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,412 times

Advertisements

I am surprised after perusing this thread to see there isn't much talk about colors in fashion!

How do you wear colors? When you go shopping, what do you do to figure out if a color will flatter you? I am one of those color season people, but I don't follow it strictly. It gives me a good base to go towards when I look for colors. For example, pastels make me look awful but a rich pine green makes me look healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 03:51 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
At this point I know what I like and what looks good. I can occasionally get a pastel color, but all my colors are cool toned. If in doubt, I hold it up to my face and check it in the mirror. AND check the return policy because sometimes those lights lie.

I bought a red shirt and at the store it looked as if it were a blue red, like a cherry. It ended up yellow red like a tomato -- which looked awful. It went back.

Several years ago I gave up black for brown and grey as my go to neutral colors. As I got older, black looked too harsh, and made me look older.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:21 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,784 times
I don't pay a lot of attention to the season in choosing my colors. I just wear what looks good on me. The worst seasonal colors for me are the fall. When I wear warm colors like brown, beige, orange, etc., people always think I'm sick.

I always wear cool colors.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I stick to colors that flatter my skin tone, which has a pink-orange undertone. No oranges for me but strong clear reds work. Most deep jewel tones work. I don't like any yellows but a very pale one. It helps to study yourself at home to see which colors look best on you and why.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:00 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,323 times
Purple tones are my very best colors. I use black, white and navy as neutrals. I had a color analysis and only wear colors that were recommended.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:09 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
Welcome to the Jill Kirsh Color website
This is a "newer" method of choosing colors. She goes primarily by hair color, instead of just skin tone. Her theory is that we can actually wear all colors, as long as you wear the right tone or hue.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Welcome to the Jill Kirsh Color website
This is a "newer" method of choosing colors. She goes primarily by hair color, instead of just skin tone. Her theory is that we can actually wear all colors, as long as you wear the right tone or hue.
I also agree. Everyone can wear all colors but not everyone can wear soft colors, bold colors, or dark colors. I have dark skin, and even I can't wear the same colors throughout the year. I tend to go by hair AND eye color. For me it changes a lot since in one season what would look flattering suddenly makes me look drab in another season.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:48 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Guy Here:

I wear darker colors (black/navy) to make my skin tone look lighter in summer, especially for T shirts and muscle Tees.

I love fresh colors on polos like dark green or blue in spring, especially when the sun shines after April showers .

While hiking, I decide to go rugged with brown.

Orange & red gives a crisp manly look in fall (my favorite season to dress up).

Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
If I like a color and I like the article of clothing I purchase it and wear it and leave it at that.
Comfort, ease of care, practical, functional, cost effective, no matter what the color, style, season, or current trend happens to be.
Cripes I've got some articles of clothing that is going on 20 years old, still looks great and is still worn often and they are still the original color.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:56 PM

I like using color because it really does make a difference. For one, I have to deal with my skin's ethnic features so some colors literally erase any looks of fatigue on my face whereas others make me look sick and tired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty