U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-09-2014, 01:00 PM
 
127 posts, read 276,919 times
Reputation: 78

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You're not good enough for the OP and his friends.
Not saying that, but by demographics a lot of these Indian guys grow up around girls who are upper middle class and join sororities, of course these girls are white. So as a result they run into these girls alot but these girls tend to reject them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2014, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
17,368 posts, read 19,391,825 times
Reputation: 15201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attractively Ambigious View Post
Not saying that, but by demographics a lot of these Indian guys grow up around girls who are upper middle class and join sororities, of course these girls are white. So as a result they run into these girls alot but these girls tend to reject them.
Yeah, sorority girls usually go for guys in fraternities. And I'm not talking about the nerdy guys in the premed and engineer fraternities here. Race doesn't really matter there. Wait ten years when you're making money and go after the recently expired coeds who are out in the real world to pick up a trophy wife.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2014, 01:50 PM
 
127 posts, read 276,919 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, sorority girls usually go for guys in fraternities. And I'm not talking about the nerdy guys in the premed and engineer fraternities here. Race doesn't really matter there. Wait ten years when you're making money and go after the recently expired coeds who are out in the real world to pick up a trophy wife.
ouch!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2014, 03:47 PM
 
Location: West Coast
1,189 posts, read 2,369,254 times
Reputation: 2105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attractively Ambigious View Post
because

1. they are the majority
2. they are promoted more by media
3. most attractive women in any upper class area are white
4. for some reason society gets pissed and angry when an attractive white female goes interracial and this just fuels the desire (we want what we can't have)

anger from people like you only seems to fuel the desire for some reason.

No group is more obsessed with White American women than Asian/Indian men, specifically because for whatever reason, they simply cannot attract them in the way they think they should. White women do not have to be with Asian men, even if they are the majority of women in the U.S. If you are into White women because they are promoted in the media, then that is a bit lame. As far as attractiveness in upper class areas, money, make-up and plastic surgery goes a long way taking a women from basic to attractive. Just look at the White Hollywood A-listers without mak-up. Many are just plain average, if that. As for society caring about attractive White women in interracial relationships, nope. Insecure men who think they have a right to women they are attracted to are angry because these women are not checking for them. Replace insecure with any race of men, and you have the same thing. In this case, its Indian men or Asian men.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2014, 06:26 PM
 
127 posts, read 276,919 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
No group is more obsessed with White American women than Asian/Indian men, specifically because for whatever reason, they simply cannot attract them in the way they think they should. White women do not have to be with Asian men, even if they are the majority of women in the U.S. If you are into White women because they are promoted in the media, then that is a bit lame. As far as attractiveness in upper class areas, money, make-up and plastic surgery goes a long way taking a women from basic to attractive. Just look at the White Hollywood A-listers without mak-up. Many are just plain average, if that. As for society caring about attractive White women in interracial relationships, nope. Insecure men who think they have a right to women they are attracted to are angry because these women are not checking for them. Replace insecure with any race of men, and you have the same thing. In this case, its Indian men or Asian men.
You seem to have a huge issue with asian and indian men preferring white women, are you a woman of a minority background who feels left out or upset that some men prefer White women?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2014, 06:32 PM
 
13,252 posts, read 11,194,882 times
Reputation: 34980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I think society has come a long way.

However, European features are considered the most attractive. i am not sure it is racial bias. In any event there are plenty of minorities that are more good looking than white people. But, quite often these minorities have European traits.
Based on your statement, what else could it be besides bias?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2014, 07:18 PM
 
24,618 posts, read 14,455,587 times
Reputation: 26082
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Star Trek: Into Darkness - Khan is South Asian in the original Star Trek Series. J.J. Abrams deliberately made Khan white, because non-white villains can have backlash in popular films, especially thouse with noticeable South Asian / Middle Eastern descent (cough "terrorism" cough). By making Khan white, race becomes a non factor in this movie.

There are dozens of examples of movies like this where directors are VERY conscious of racial biases and stereotypes. It can make a big impact on how a movie is received.
There was white a bit of negative razz against that choice from the Asian--and especially the South Asian community. Even John Cho publicly razzed it.

Abrams was dead wrong. Non-white people love a good non-white villain that can give superheroes like Kirk and Spock a dead run for their money, and Khan was such a villain. Magneto of the "X-Men" movies is portrayed as Jewish, but is given a great Jewish backstory. Any Jews upset about his being a villain? None that I've heard of.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2014, 07:21 PM
 
24,618 posts, read 14,455,587 times
Reputation: 26082
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Elysium... the movie is actually a parable about immigration. If you notice, all of the minor characters are latino, and one of the villains is of some south Asian dsecent. The lead roles, however, are a white man and a white woman (station commander / villain). The director said this was intentional because the message is more received if the majority of the audience (white people) can relate to the character. If the hero was latino or non-white, many people would dismiss the movie and message altogether.
There have been some studies bearing this out with regard to dramas. With only a couple of exceptions (and never more than one exception at a time) a drama with a black lead will not draw a white audience, even if the plot is a universal one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2014, 07:21 PM
 
Location: West Coast
1,189 posts, read 2,369,254 times
Reputation: 2105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attractively Ambigious View Post
You seem to have a huge issue with asian and indian men preferring white women, are you a woman of a minority background who feels left out or upset that some men prefer White women?

I am beginning to understand why my White female friends reject Asian and Indian guys.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM
 
24,618 posts, read 14,455,587 times
Reputation: 26082
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
So you've never heard of Denzel Washington? John Legend? Halle Berry?
John Legend hasn't been the leading man of any hit movies.

Yes, Denzel. And a few before him, like Sidney.

But notice, as I said earlier, never more than one at a time able to carry off a drama as a leading man without it being labeled a "black" movie...as much by Hollywood as by the audience.

The same goes even more strongly for black women.

Since we're talking about standards of beauty, the same has been true in the modeling field--where standards of beauty in this society are currently set--that "there can be only one black supermodel at a time." This is such a truism in the fashion industry that it has been outed several times by the fashion industry itself ("Eeek! We are racists!"). Italian Vogue ran an all-black edition a couple of years ago to prove the point. But it hasn't changed much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top