Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:07 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times

Advertisements

Humans seem to be biologically wired to prefer people from their own group. That doesn't mean they can't find individuals from another group attractive, but it seems to be less common. If that is truly a biological/instinctive preference, I don't see it changing anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 07:36 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Not sure by you post these type of threads over and over but I'll bite. The high school I went to when I was in ninth grade had three white people total, myself being one of them. This was all grades added up. Two were seniors.

Do you think we were the most popular or anything of the like? Because we were white? Absolutely not.

Everything is not about race and as far as your question, it has already happened.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:56 AM

686 posts, read 1,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attractively Ambigious View Post
Do you believe as time goes by American society will start to consider attractive people from all races attractive?
They already do dude. They already do.

Quote:
On the other hand my friends who are from other races and fairly attractive didn't have those same opportunities, especially being asked to model. The validation they received from society was much less.

Do you believe as time goes on race will start to matter less and American society will treat attractive people from all races how they would normally treat an attractive White person?
You have failed to make your point about "American society" treating attractive people from non-white races differently than attractive whites.

The following people agree with me:

Lucy Liu
Duane "The Rock" Johnson
Bruce Lee
Shemar Moore
Lolo Jones
Beyoncé
That Persian chick who won Miss America
Halle Berry
Rick Fox
Dolvette Quince
And the list goes on and on and on and on.

I am of mixed race background and when I was 17 I was asked to model by a top modeling agency. I was voted "person to get stuck in elevator with" at school. I have NEVER felt like I was treated differently than anyone else. I have never experienced any type of rracism ever. I just didn't.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:20 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
In any event there are plenty of minorities that are more good looking than white people. But, quite often these minorities have European traits.
Not as long as stuff like this persists.

We have a ways to go in order to have more inclusive standards of beauty.

We have made improvements, sort of. But we still tend to decide that the most "beautiful" non white people have "white" features. And denigrate the "non-white" ones. We also still have a really big colorist problem.

Much of this is rooted in our stereotypes. We still have way too many.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I think if you look at Hollywood celebrities and the world around us you will see the beautiful people are of every race. A beautiful woman is a beautiful woman and a handsome man is a handsome man, it transcends race.

People I find attractive include:

Halle Barry

Antonio Banderas

Li Bingbing

Denzel Washington

Penelope Cruz

George Clooney

Old 02-05-2014, 10:13 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Black people are a minority (even smaller than hispanics), so it's perfectly legitimate for the public to prefer to see a white superman. It has nothing to do with racism. As time goes by, people will continue to be attracted to whatever they they are attracted to. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As if changing times are going to make physical features more attractive.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:16 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
"Do you believe as time goes by American society will start to consider attractive people from all races attractive?"

They do already.

This and for a few decades now I think. Unless the OP considers marginal elements of society as relevant to the discussion.

I thought the Wayan Bros. did a similar film to the one alluded to in the OP.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:36 AM

99,509 posts, read 4,489,231 times
Quote:
One of my friends joked saying how it is funny that we can have a Black president but the thought of a Black Superman on the big screen will drive America into a deep rage.
Really?? I don't think it would make a bit of difference.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:40 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Black people are a minority (even smaller than hispanics), so it's perfectly legitimate for the public to prefer to see a white superman. It has nothing to do with racism. As time goes by, people will continue to be attracted to whatever they they are attracted to. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As if changing times are going to make physical features more attractive.
Actually, I'm going to take this further.

In movies it goes like this:

Elysium... the movie is actually a parable about immigration. If you notice, all of the minor characters are latino, and one of the villains is of some south Asian dsecent. The lead roles, however, are a white man and a white woman (station commander / villain). The director said this was intentional because the message is more received if the majority of the audience (white people) can relate to the character. If the hero was latino or non-white, many people would dismiss the movie and message altogether.

Star Trek: Into Darkness - Khan is South Asian in the original Star Trek Series. J.J. Abrams deliberately made Khan white, because non-white villains can have backlash in popular films, especially thouse with noticeable South Asian / Middle Eastern descent (cough "terrorism" cough). By making Khan white, race becomes a non factor in this movie.

There are dozens of examples of movies like this where directors are VERY conscious of racial biases and stereotypes. It can make a big impact on how a movie is received.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:43 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
Really?? I don't think it would make a bit of difference.
Absolutely it would. It becomes a "Black movie" instead of just a movie.

Another example:

The Best Man Holiday. The movie has nothing to do with race, or racial themes exclusive to Black people. However, since the cast majority black, it doesn't get the same mainstream audience as a movie with white people, despite some mainstream actors such as Terrence Howard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty