Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:50 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times

Advertisements

I have no problem going to a brick and mortar store to try and shoes and then buy them somewhere else. They are providing a free service. If they have a problem with it, they can lower their prices or cut their overhead to be more cost competitive. I like to buy things in person in-store, but only if the price is competitive and the customer service is good (ie MINIMAL). If their shoes are only $5-$10 more, then sure I will buy them in-store for convenience.

But, quite often the price is $20, $30, or even $50 difference. The Brooks Brothers salesmen who spent 10 minutes grabbing a box that I could have gotten on my own and hovering over me as I try the shoe on did not earn $50 during that time period. Especially if they were pushy or tried to push additional items on me. Maybe I am different than a lot of people but I actually hate a shoe salesmen hovering over me. About the only assistance I want is help grabbing a size from the back if it is not on a floor. Having a "service" pushed on me does not make me feel guilted into paying more than something is worth nor does it make me question my integrity.

Have you ever test-driven a car at one dealer and bought it from another? Have you ever gone to look at a TV in one store and then bought it at another with a lower price? Do you consider that to be a lack of integrity? It is the same exact thing. If so, it simply means you have given in to the salesman-guilt as I like to call it. A manufactured "integrity" if you will.

A lot of online shoe places these days offer 100% free return shipping though as well. So if you really want, you can buy 2 sizes and return the ones that don't fit or both if you decide you like neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 11:26 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
You deflected, deferred, and accused me of things I did not do, but didn't answer any of the questions I asked. Maybe you were too bored. Pshaw.
Oh, there you go again with the angels speaking to you. Maybe your shoes are pinching your feet & your discomfort is carried throughout your life, and/or you must be a former disgruntled salesman, who blamed his failures on the customers you chased away with your Winning! personality.

My words, which you've grossly misunderstood and/or have all too quickly forgotten were: "Personally, with shoes, I'd only buy them in-store, only as the fit differs with each pair." Address your aimless q's to the person you accused of showrooming.

Cheers for inquiring, but I'm never bored. When people or talk is boring, I move along, as I will here. Feel free to the last word... I'm sure you'll never rest in any situation unless that's the case. If you feel my posts were accusatory, perhaps you should purchase cheap shoes & save the rest of the money for a good dose of therapy. Best of luck with that, then.

Quote:
As for Fluevogs, I value comfort far more than trendiness and someone else's style. Nothing I read about his shoes suggests they would correct any perceived comfort issue I may have, but maybe I'd look more fashionable to those who care about such things.
Many who wear Fluevogs find them comfy, as well as to their liking. Many who wear shoes from Walmart, Barney's, Saks Fifth Ave or Family Dollar find them comfy, as well as to their liking. Trying them on is the only way to tell. How much one is willing to spend will dictate where one buys them, including for discount via pre-worn & sold on Ebay or at an online merchant for a deeper discount than is offered in-store.

It's the consumer's choice to spend their hard earned dollars in the ways s/he sees fit. But, you continue with your ill thinking of those who are careful with their purchases.

Try to have a very happy day.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:52 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I'd never heard of Fluevogs before so I thought I'd take a look.

They're not all ugly, but you owe it to yourself to feast your eyes on some of the ugliest shoes you're ever likely to see.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:19 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'd never heard of Fluevogs before so I thought I'd take a look.

They're not all ugly, but you owe it to yourself to feast your eyes on some of the ugliest shoes you're ever likely to see.
Yes. I can't get your link to load, but I understand. Fluevogs have usually been for the hipster, steam punk crowd. Doc Marten's aren't the prettiest, but when I lived in NYC/Boston & spent hours/day running for/from or on the subway/bus, those non-slip soles, comfort & warmth of his boots were much appreciated. I've run downhill on ice to catch a bus & never once slipped & always have a small collection of shoes in the workplace to change into if wearing snow/rain/Doc boots to/from work.

Some recent Fluevog styles are rather vibrantly colored & costumish, but I make no judgment on style others wear. Believe it or not, he began with stylish tie shoes for men, solid black... they were the faves of hairdressers in the 80s.

If you'd like to see some outrageous styles (not all, some are stylish & look comfy), check out Cydwoq, Betsey Johnson, Vivienne Westwood or Alexander McQueen shoes, particularly those featured on the runway. They boggle the mind.

McQueen... (Daphne Guinness, of the wealthy beer family & Gaga are fans)

Westwood (her milder offering)

Old 02-11-2014, 07:52 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
Have paid anywhere from $40 to $200. The thing I hate about them, is most of them have one thing in common, poor grip/traction on the sole of the shoe. Very annoying.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:00 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I have no problem going to a brick and mortar store to try and shoes and then buy them somewhere else. They are providing a free service. If they have a problem with it, they can lower their prices or cut their overhead to be more cost competitive. I like to buy things in person in-store, but only if the price is competitive and the customer service is good (ie MINIMAL). If their shoes are only $5-$10 more, then sure I will buy them in-store for convenience.

But, quite often the price is $20, $30, or even $50 difference. The Brooks Brothers salesmen who spent 10 minutes grabbing a box that I could have gotten on my own and hovering over me as I try the shoe on did not earn $50 during that time period. Especially if they were pushy or tried to push additional items on me. Maybe I am different than a lot of people but I actually hate a shoe salesmen hovering over me. About the only assistance I want is help grabbing a size from the back if it is not on a floor. Having a "service" pushed on me does not make me feel guilted into paying more than something is worth nor does it make me question my integrity.

Have you ever test-driven a car at one dealer and bought it from another? Have you ever gone to look at a TV in one store and then bought it at another with a lower price? Do you consider that to be a lack of integrity? It is the same exact thing. If so, it simply means you have given in to the salesman-guilt as I like to call it. A manufactured "integrity" if you will.

A lot of online shoe places these days offer 100% free return shipping though as well. So if you really want, you can buy 2 sizes and return the ones that don't fit or both if you decide you like neither.
Price is the only factor that matters when choosing from whom to buy. It is perfectly acceptable to use retailers KNOWING FOR A FACT THAT YOU WILL NOT BE BUYING FROM THEM (I emphasized this, since no one seems to understand the difference between showrooming and just shopping around), because they are "providing a free service". Never communicate with the staff at a store. It's much easier to scurry home and buy on the internet rather than negotiate a price with a human being.

Thank you for clarifying.

No, I don't play the pricing game of going from store A to B to C. That's for fools who don't know how to handle their business. Most retailers match prices, and many will try to get close to online pricing.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:33 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
You plebes with your AE's and Alden's and Magli's and Ferragamo's...... *SMH*

You haven't lived until you've experienced bespoke Cleverley or custom Gaziano & Girling. Don't be cheap! $5000 won't even cover the monthly lease on your Bentley convertible

Old 02-12-2014, 03:44 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Price is the only factor that matters when choosing from whom to buy. It is perfectly acceptable to use retailers KNOWING FOR A FACT THAT YOU WILL NOT BE BUYING FROM THEM (I emphasized this, since no one seems to understand the difference between showrooming and just shopping around), because they are "providing a free service". Never communicate with the staff at a store. It's much easier to scurry home and buy on the internet rather than negotiate a price with a human being.

Thank you for clarifying.

No, I don't play the pricing game of going from store A to B to C. That's for fools who don't know how to handle their business. Most retailers match prices, and many will try to get close to online pricing.
Regarding the bold, there are times where going to another store makes sense, regardless of matching policies. Say store A has a guarantee that they will beat Store B by 10% (had this happen with a local appliance store). Store B has the TV on sale for $500. I go and negotiate with Store B to get it in writing for $450. And THEN go back to store A and get 10% off of $450 or $405. If I had just gone to Store A and had them do the 10% better than Store B at the start, the TV would have been $450 and I wouldn't have known that I could haggle Store B down unless I went and tried. I know people who have done similar things for cars. I don't see how playing the price negotiating game from time to time is for fools. Certain places you CAN get better deals than what is listed - even "final" sale prices at times. Other times I just go straight online after showrooming for free shipping/free return shipping and a better price.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default $500+

Work requires that I dress well. I too prefer Alden and Allen Edmonds.

The Alden Shop of San Francisco -

Old 02-16-2014, 09:07 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Have paid anywhere from $40 to $200. The thing I hate about them, is most of them have one thing in common, poor grip/traction on the sole of the shoe. Very annoying.
Agree, but I got a decent pair of Cole Hahn with a hard rubber? sole, that is great in rough weather (<$200).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty