Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 06:22 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhenzanite View Post
There's an Allen Edmonds store in.... Shoppers World in Natick I believe. In the big mall somewhere. I'd try them on there, then order them online to save a few bucks.

Johnston & Murphy's are nice, but from what I heard the soles have to be replaced more often. Since you're in Boston I'd just get a nice fleece bag to carry them with you and change at the office...that's what I do. I have my ugly Sorel's for my commute and my nice boots in my backpack.
Thanks, Maybe we'll take a ride to Natick this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 06:52 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Allen Edmonds look so good you can tell them a block away, they're worth every nickel. And they are made in Wisconsin and your money is paying wages for your fellow countrymen. They're the Redwing of white collar work shoes.

I had an Allen Edmonds shoe that started squeaking after several years, I took the shoes to the Allen Edmonds store on Michigan Ave. in Chicago to get them fixed and the clerk threw the shoes in the trash can and gave me a new pair. Good service.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:19 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I'll just mention, as I have before, that if you're really looking for guidance in men's clothes the place to go is askandyaboutclothes.com. Every topic you might want to investigate, including discussions of the differences between Lobbs and Aldens, what AE lasts work for whom, etc.

And, as I've learned from experience, whenever there is a thread about ascots it's bound to have some laughs.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:39 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'll just mention, as I have before, that if you're really looking for guidance in men's clothes the place to go is askandyaboutclothes.com. Every topic you might want to investigate, including discussions of the differences between Lobbs and Aldens, what AE lasts work for whom, etc.

And, as I've learned from experience, whenever there is a thread about ascots it's bound to have some laughs.
Well, I can't say I'm into fashion at all and I have no idea what Lobbs or Aldens or ascots are - those all seems like funny words to me. I will however check out that site.

I'm just a working schlub who wants to look well put together but don't really want to think about it much or put too much effort into it.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:34 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhenzanite View Post
There's an Allen Edmonds store in.... Shoppers World in Natick I believe. In the big mall somewhere. I'd try them on there, then order them online to save a few bucks.

Johnston & Murphy's are nice, but from what I heard the soles have to be replaced more often. Since you're in Boston I'd just get a nice fleece bag to carry them with you and change at the office...that's what I do. I have my ugly Sorel's for my commute and my nice boots in my backpack.
Showrooming. The favored method of shopping for those with no integrity.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:37 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I don't spend more than $80 for a pair of dress shoes because they are wear and tear items.

The difference between a $400 pair and $50 pair is at best marginal. The stitching is better and leather and soles are better with the $400 shoe but the prices of those materials are at most $5-10 at the wholesale level and does not deserve a markup of 1000-2000%

This along with expensive sneakers are the biggest scams out there when the parts cost very little and they charge so much.

Whoever buys shoes over $200 is just throwing money away at the name brands. Go to China and see where your expensive shoe parts are made, they cost peanuts there.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't spend more than $80 for a pair of dress shoes because they are wear and tear items.

The difference between a $400 pair and $50 pair is at best marginal. The stitching is better and leather and soles are better with the $400 shoe but the prices of those materials are at most $5-10 at the wholesale level and does not deserve a markup of 1000-2000%

This along with expensive sneakers are the biggest scams out there when the parts cost very little and they charge so much.

Whoever buys shoes over $200 is just throwing money away at the name brands. Go to China and see where your expensive shoe parts are made, they cost peanuts there.
Having good and run of the mill shoes, I can't agree at all with your post. The construction and how long they last are wildly different. Are the mark ups crazy? Yes, but that is true of all clothing.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:28 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Having good and run of the mill shoes, I can't agree at all with your post. The construction and how long they last are wildly different. Are the mark ups crazy? Yes, but that is true of all clothing.
I can find big differences between a $30 and $80 shoe but the difference between a $80 and $300 shoe is at best marginal. Styling could better on a $300 shoe but it's subjective, I can find a $80 shoe that is a knockoff of a $300 pair and the materials and constructions are marginally better on the $300.

But once you worn a pair of shoes it's only a matter of time they fall apart. There's no proof that a $300 pair can outlast a $80 pair. I've seen expensive Prada shoes that had stitching problems more or less the same with shoes that are only a fraction of the cost.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:59 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:

But once you worn a pair of shoes it's only a matter of time they fall apart. There's no proof that a $300 pair can outlast a $80 pair. I've seen expensive Prada shoes that had stitching problems more or less the same with shoes that are only a fraction of the cost.

My personal experience differs, that is the proof I need. I don't know women's shoes, so I can't comment on Prada.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:27 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:

I have 20 year old Redwing 877 work boots that currently sell for near $300 and are about ready for their 4th resoling; the uppers are still in great shape. That isn't going to happen with cheap work shoes. I assume being a boilermaker is harder on shoes than office work is. Granted, these are the boots I wore when I went out of the hall as a foreman, GF or steward, not when I went out with the tools, but they still got lots of mileage in powerhouses, steel mills, refineries and such.

A man should be well shod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty