U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:14 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,937,446 times

Advertisements

I used to have to wear a polo company shirt, so I hate em. I look bad in them no matter what. 6' 3" 270lbs. I try to hide, but it doesn't work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:31 PM

973 posts, read 1,351,774 times
Sorry, mid.

My former director used to wear polos. I don't know why. She was 6'1 and had the build of a linebacker. I don't feel bad saying so, because she fired me for no reason.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:14 AM

7,482 posts, read 8,115,362 times
Default Polo shirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I know a few people who work in corporate environments. I noticed they wear polo shirts to work. I don't think they're professional. A few people have told me they're "smart". Which I guess means professional. Why? It's basically a t-shirt with a collar. Do you think polos are professional?
I think polo shirts make a lot of sense in most organizations. I participated in numerous conversations about topics such as casual days, dress codes, etc. Except for the jobs I had where suits were assumed, companies where I worked had issues with the way people dressed. These problems got worse when they would have "business casual days." To many people, business casual meant t-shirts, tank tops, ragged jeans, etc. It was always difficult to define "business casual."

I worked in information technology and this was always a problem area. It is common in IT to have guys who will wear the same old wrinkled shirt for an entire week. And wearing an old stained tie with the old wrinkled shirt doesn't make it look professional.

Organizations can avoid many of the issues with employee dress codes and save employees money by providing discounted clothes that employees can select from a catalog. I thought that giving employees an option of two or three colors of short sleeved polo shirts, a couple of long sleeve collared shirts, and a couple of colors of slacks such as navy blue and khaki would give people enough selections and not have everyone looking like clones. I think this makes the organization look much more professional.

Lands' End and other companies specialize in this market. They will put company logos on the shirts. This might encourage people not to wear the shirts outside of work and keep them looking newer for longer.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 AM

You bring up a lot of good points. I guess another reason imo that polos don't look professional to me is I don't think short sleeve shirts (even/especially button shirts) are professional.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:51 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,774,271 times
I don't think there's anything inherently professional or unprofessional about polo shirts. A well-made, well-fitted one, in a dark and/or conservative color, tucked-in, with appropriate slacks or nice jeans, and you have a good, sharp "business casual" look.

And of course they can be part of a terrible outfit too.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
... I don't think short sleeve shirts (even/especially button shirts) are professional.
If you find yourself working in a warm, humid climate, where you need to be outside or in a non- air-conditioned workspace, your definition of "professional" might end up changing.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
If you find yourself working in a warm, humid climate, where you need to be outside or in a non- air-conditioned workspace, your definition of "professional" might end up changing.
What sort of professional job has you working outside? If you're working outside for a long time, it's usually not professional and you usually aren't expected to wear business clothes.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 AM

5,574 posts, read 6,561,040 times
Quote:
What sort of professional job has you working outside? If you're working outside for a long time, it's usually not professional and you usually aren't expected to wear business clothes.
Our engineers frequently have to go on-site to the mostly outdoor facilities they've designed or are upgrading.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Our engineers frequently have to go on-site to the mostly outdoor facilities they've designed or are upgrading.
There are also places in the world/US where air-conditioning in the work environment is not a given and it is-or can be- warm. In those, a polo or short-sleeved button-up is a good way to stay reasonably cool and comfortable while looking much more professional than one would in a t-shirt.

This is basically why we have the guayabera: Guayabera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, there a times when you might have to dress somewhat professionally but still have to do light physical labor. (lifting and moving items, whatever) Again, a polo is a good choice to comfortably allow you to be somewhat active and still look put-together.

The rest of the outfit matters, for sure, though. I think a polo can absolutely look professional, but only if the rest of your outfit does.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:39 AM

I think the guugabera looks more professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty