Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 03:36 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
LOL. Telling it like it is.
Yet none of you fat haters have offered a viable solution. All you've done is voice a bunch of anti-fat biases. You may not be part of the problem, but you're certainly not helping it, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 03:39 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
On other thread on here and my polo thread got me thinking. My mom had a very large friend. She must have been close to 400lbs and 6'0. This woman hard time getting a date. We lived (still live) in NJ. She said she went someone in the south and a lot of men were hating on her. Would you date a plus size person? Where do you live? Also, does your state "accept" a plus size people?

I live in NJ, and I don't think big people are accepted. I would date a plus size guy if he was nice and we got along.
400 lbs. is way beyond normal plus-size. It's surprising how many guys like plus-size women, though. There was a plus-sized women's group that did an act on one of those TV talent shows, and one of the judges, Piers Morgan, said he had a weakness for plus-sized women, and gave them a resounding "YES" every time they performed! I think more men like curvy plus-sized women than they openly admit.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
400 lbs. is way beyond normal plus-size. It's surprising how many guys like plus-size women, though. There was a plus-sized women's group that did an act on one of those TV talent shows, and one of the judges, Piers Morgan, said he had a weakness for plus-sized women, and gave them a resounding "YES" every time they performed! I think more men like curvy plus-sized women than they openly admit.
I have something in common with Piers Morgan? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I have something in common with Piers Morgan? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.
LOL! I kind of like him. His tough-guy persona on those talent shows seems like a bit of an act. He's a softie at heart, I think. It's been a long time since I've watched him on TV, though. Just youtube.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:08 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Big Girls need love Too!
As long as she has a nice personality.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:30 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm thinking Piers Morgan was just doing his talent-show nice-guy schtick for publicity and thumbs-up from the audience. He has certainly never been involved with anybody who wasn't skinny-model thin; you can look this up.

That said there are certainly plenty of men who find fat women attractive (and vice versa), based on people I know and see regularly. And that is fine, even though I find it puzzling given that two extremely morbidly obese people will have a difficult time having marital relations or managing basics such as showering or toileting without help. But clearly many make it work.

I can't get behind a movement for "fat acceptance" any more than I could endorse "smoking and alcohol use acceptance" because I regard them as medical and addiction issues but by that same metric I don't get hate, vitriol or disdain for such folks. In my experience, they are trapped and addicts but not taken seriously...until this is fully recognized as an addiction and serious health condition for millions of people, not much will change.

Also the fat people I know or have known (at my age, sadly, quite a few of my peers have died from health complications) have NOT been lazy people but were hard-working and productive for as long as they could be. I totally don't buy into the fat = lazy stereotype because I have never seen it.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:48 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
As a lifelong thin person, I think it's much more acceptable to be fat than very slender. At least, as a society we're taught from an early age not to make fun of obese people. I was teased mercilessly as a child for being skinny, but caught he** from my parents or teachers if I made fun of a fat kid.

I saw online (I don't have TV) that one of the contestants on The Biggest Loser got an enormous amount of flak because she lost so much weight she was then considered too thin. When I saw the before and after photo of her, I shook my head, again, because I'm sure when she show started she was given a lot of empathy and understanding about weighing 260 pounds and encouragement to slim down, but when she looked like I did in college, at my thinnest, the hosts reactions were obviously unfavorable, and websites were abuzz with critical remarks.

Bottom line is, everyone is different, prefers different, and should accept different, whatever "different" is.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:57 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Yet none of you fat haters have offered a viable solution. All you've done is voice a bunch of anti-fat biases. You may not be part of the problem, but you're certainly not helping it, either.
put down the fork?

Old 02-11-2014, 05:13 PM

254 posts, read 318,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

Also the fat people I know or have known (at my age, sadly, quite a few of my peers have died from health complications) have NOT been lazy people but were hard-working and productive for as long as they could be. I totally don't buy into the fat = lazy stereotype because I have never seen it.
There has to be some level of physical sloth (not intellectual sloth) to be morbidly obese. Not that I know the chemistry and physics behind it but the biology of the human body I do know is essentially driven by the laws of chemistry and physics. There are miracles (physical phenomenon that defies the physical laws denoted in the hard sciences) such as a woman (I met) surviving for a year (or was it several years) by consuming no more than the Holy Eucharist (a host/wafer) and being perfectly healthy the whole time. Or those saints that levitated or flew in the air with the help of no human made technologies.

I do know that human body derives its energy from calories. Like a tank of gas in a car. Calories can be depleted just as gas in a tank of car can. Morbidly obese people simply are not burning enough calories. Unless they are miraculously staying obese.

Where I work out at they have a chart with age groups and heart rate ranges (to burn fat or to condition the heart more) that I'm told--by another weight lifter (not necessarily someone qualified)--that keeping your heart rate in those range zones will result in burning fat. He checks his heart rate frequently while working out.

What some people regard as "working out" is not sufficient for "burning" fat away on the body. To them they might think they're working out "hard" but they're not really.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
put down the fork?

Yeah, I said "viable" solution. That means "realistic" or "doable" or maybe "sustainable." An overweight person wishing to lose weight still has to eat. So your "solution" is not viable and therefore not a solution. I would say "nice try." But it wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty