Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:19 PM

571 posts, read 1,200,805 times

Advertisements

I've been a huge naysayer of high-waisted jeans: "try all they will, those tacky things aren't making a comeback." Well, well, what do you know, I tried on a pair that have an AMAZING fit, so I bought em. They're high-waisted, dark rinse, skinny jeans (great front panel, that really gives you a whittle waist). I personally like to wear them with a plain white button down shirt, tucked in - more of a simple, classic look.

Any other ideas? I'm also not sure if I prefer them up a little higher - more at the ankle, than a real length skinny. They seem to take up way too much of the body if they are long. I'm considering getting them altered a little higher (I'll get more use out of them in the spring and if worn with booties in the winter - then length doesn't make a whole lot of a difference.)

Any ideas on other great ways to wear high-waisted jeans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 01:36 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
1. Obtain time machine
2. Go back to sometime between 1977-1987

Then you're all set!

Old 02-10-2014, 01:38 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
I can't even find high-waisted jeans. I wish I could, I've had about enough of this hip-hugger phase already.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:33 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I can't even find high-waisted jeans. I wish I could, I've had about enough of this hip-hugger phase already.
Levis 512 has a high waist, or at least a natural waist. And I've also got a pair of Lee classic fit that are not hip huggers, for those days when I don't want to wear a belt to keep my pants up.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:08 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
I would never ever tuck a blouse into high waisted jeans.

:::shudder:::

That looked bad, even in the 80s.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Are you talking actual high waisted jeans, or just ones that fall at the natural waist, but look "high-waisted" compared to the lower rises that dominated for years?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:49 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,142,825 times
The high-waisted jeans are all over the young, trendy mall stores like Forever 21 & Express.
They are truly high-waisted, as in a few inches over the belly button & hugging the smallest part of the waist.
However, they are almost always super skinny jeans & more like jeggings than a heavier jean.

Even though I am tall, thin & with a small waist, I don't wear it well. Often the back pockets are placed higher, which is not flattering on me. I carry my weight in the hips/butt & it just looks too exaggerated. Even if that looks sexy from some perspective, it looks tacky/trashy on me too. Don't get me wrong, some women look great in this style, but I do find most are under the age of 25 or so.

I can do the very high waist with any style skirt or with a wider, 40s/70s style leg; I have some white linen sailor pants that are really flattering because the leg falls straight from the hip. With these, cropped blouses work well. Even a tiny sliver of midriff doesn't look tacky if you have the body & are in a casual setting.

Skinny jeans are otherwise flattering on me, so not sure why the super high waist with them looks so odd. I can also do the medium rise well too (sits just below or around belly button height), & it does flatter better than the super low rise of years past.

Anyhow, different body types wear some styles better than others. I wear most styles easily, so it's unusual for me to not be able to do a trend if I want to. Perhaps I just haven't found the right pair.

I think I do have some high-waisted skinny pants from H&M that go above the belly button, but they have a partial button fly & lower belt loops, and so the pockets sit lower. The waist part is still a bit loose (get the gap in the back), but because I often wear it with shirt tucked-in, then it's fine.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I won't wear pants that have higher-than-the navel waistbands. I am already pretty short-waisted/long legged, so I don't really need to draw attention to that fact. My waistband appearing to come perilously close to my boobs? Not a good look. I already have a small waist, so I don't need help in that area.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:23 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,645 times
The best way to wear them is not at all. Don't be fooled by what you see in women's magazines, I have yet to meet a man -my age or older - who doesn't think that high-waisted pants look ridiculous. My economics professor last semester, who's relatively young, even went into this ten minute rant about how unattractive they are, and about how they looked silly back in the 80s and they still look silly now.

It's unfortunate because they do tend to flatter our figures.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:31 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,453 times
If you're talking about what I'm thinking about PLEASE DON'T! Even if you're 100 stay away! I am 42 and even if you don't care about being "trendy" or whatever, they look awful and will age you like nothing else. When I think of those I just think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLcDZStRjyY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqYeP3EpHU0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty