Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:38 AM

566 posts, read 1,106,837 times

Advertisements

I used to love my tall thick shoulder pads. I even had a pair "to go" under an already padded boyfriend blazer/jacket. Loved them. But they made me appear almost football gear wearing-ish, if that makes any sense.

Then, that one actress who made them famous comes to mind. I only see her eyebrows and shoulder pads in my mind. lol

I have seen them in many items. I can feel them.

Is it going to be a runaway train with no stopping the size and we are again in the 80's with bangs sprayed straight up, or:

Can shoulder pads be done correctly for ladies wear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 09:44 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothereIN View Post
I used to love my tall thick shoulder pads. I even had a pair "to go" under an already padded boyfriend blazer/jacket. Loved them. But they made me appear almost football gear wearing-ish, if that makes any sense.

Then, that one actress who made them famous comes to mind. I only see her eyebrows and shoulder pads in my mind. lol

I have seen them in many items. I can feel them.

Is it going to be a runaway train with no stopping the size and we are again in the 80's with bangs sprayed straight up, or:

I always removed my shoulder pads when they were in style. I am a six-foot-one-inch tall woman. I didn't need shoulder pads, thank you.

Your reference to "that one actress" made me laugh and brought back a memory from the 80s. My friend, then in her thirties, had just experienced a broken engagement and took up for a brief time with a 20-year-old from Greece, whose parents were appalled at the relationship because they had an arranged marriage in process for him back in the old country. She mentioned to him one day that she liked the jackets with shoulder pads because it gave her a Joan Crawford look, and he didn't know who Joan Crawford was. Not long after, she met the man she would marry, who was her own age. She said one day, "<Boy> was a lot of fun, but it's nice to talk to somebody who knows what you mean when you mention Joan Crawford or Gilligan's Island."

Old 02-13-2014, 09:53 AM

There you go - an amazing point: Tall. (Props for the 20 yo for your friend.) I fear that less is more with those things, but sometimes fashion takes it to another level and many fall for it - think HAMMER PANTS. oy what a nightmare and I had a pair. Personally, they looked better on ladies--me, than most men who wore them washing their car or running to the store -- yechhh. Unless you were some type of hiphopping singer, than....if everything else is dirty and in the washer ok. The visions of those guys on Saturday, running in those pants with their white reeboks make me ill. just my opinion. Most of THEIR hammer pants looked as if they needed washing...

Joan is the shoulder pad/big eyebrow queen, for sure! teehee

Old 02-13-2014, 12:56 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,114 times
Small shoulder pads are fine, as far as I'm concerned, in somewhat structured garments, such as tailored collared blouses and blazers. It helps keep the line of the garment, and it visually tricks the eye into making the waist look a little narrower and wide hips in better proportion. Yes, the '80s giant pads did push that to fashion's ugly edge....and off the cliff, in some instances....but that's pretty much true of any big trend. Like big fins on '60s cars.

It's fun, it's iconic, and then -- it's over!

Old 02-13-2014, 01:40 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,791,579 times
"Then, that one actress who made them famous comes to mind. I only see her eyebrows and shoulder pads in my mind. lol"

I think you're talking about Linda Evans in Dynasty. LOL>

Old 02-13-2014, 03:19 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothereIN View Post

Sure. But most will be done cheaply and badly.

I take mine out too, as I am 5'11".

Old 02-13-2014, 03:35 PM

147 posts, read 177,975 times
I removed them also. I'm only 5'6" but muscular (for a girl in the 80's and now a woman) so more than natural was just bad.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:34 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,152,211 times
I'm also old enough to have gone through the 1980's shoulder pad phase. And poodle perms and mall bangs and platform heels.

I removed them as well. I am and was naturally broad shouldered and narrow-hipped (I'm female) so while I was on board with some of the designs, big shoulders didn't do me any favors.

I think they can be done well if discreet and well-tailored though. As in classy 1940s suits and dresses, not early MTV hair band costumes.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:30 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,220,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
"Then, that one actress who made them famous comes to mind. I only see her eyebrows and shoulder pads in my mind. lol"

I think you're talking about Linda Evans in Dynasty. LOL>
I was thinking about Joan Crawford. She had a small body but in a documentary someone said she had
a large head. Then I checked some pictures of her and the shoulder pads did seem to balance that.

ps I always removed them since I thought they were too large in the 80's.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 AM

Don't look now: STIRRUP PANTS!!! nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

UG--make it stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty