Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 03:04 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,788,010 times

Advertisements

How much yo lookin' to spend?

Like some others said, fit is of utmost importance. Personal I avoid department stores, even the good ones. Go to a men's store that offers more experience, professionalism, and personalized service. Here in Boston we have a big suit industry and I can find a custom made suit with ok material at reasonable cost. But even at a men's store, I can usually find a nice suit at a good deal. And the salesmen will fit me.

Start with finding two or three men's stores. i'm not a big fan of men's warehouse but they do ok overall for an average suit, other places will have a more refined collection though). Make sure your husband goes with you, and if the staff is good, let them do their thing. Have your man try on a variety of suits - including high quality ones so he can never stand the difference.

Also, you may want to check out the ask Andy forums for everything in men's fashion. And remember, the suit is one thing, shoes are pretty up there too IMO (as is attitude).

After you're done, get a cople tickets to something special and have him wear it. He'll feel good. And if he's up to it, tell him to wear it to run errands or go shopping one day, he'll be flabbergasted at how people treat him.

Best of luck and have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 03:45 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thupermoon View Post
Are you a well dressed man? Or perhaps you know how to dress one?

I want to buy my husband a suit. And not the kind you see on your great uncle at a wedding. I want a beautiful suit that lays well and compliments his physique like only a beautiful suit can.

Where do I start? How do men go about buying a suit?
The best suits are made by bespoke tailors. If you can wait several weeks, one of the best suits you can get is one made by a Hong Kong bespoke tailor. These suits are exquisite and fit perfectly.

My husband wears bespoke suits from Hong Kong. Recently, he decided to order one without traveling to HK. He contacted the store, and they told him what to do:

1) Go to their website (or call them) to find out when one of their representatives will be in your area. The bespoke tailors have representatives who travel throughout the world and schedule appointments at local hotels to take orders.

2) At the appointment you are shown styles, fabrics, linings, and buttons. You have your measurements taken, and a rough pattern is made for you. You should have an idea of what style and fabric you like, because you will have hundreds of styles, and thousands of fabrics to choose from.

3) The representative takes your order. They accept all major credit cards.

4) The info is sent to the store, where it is made by hand.

5) Your suit is sent to you within 6 weeks. If it needs alterations, they make all the arrangements. Alterations are free.

You can expect to pay one-quarter to one-third the price you'd pay here. Thus, a $4000 suit will be approximately $1000; a $1500 suit will be $400. They also usually send you a couple of bespoke shirts as a courtesy, which is a nice touch.

You can contact them by calling the phone number on their websites; or you can look at the site to find out when they will be in your area to schedule an appointment.

Among the most highly reputed tailors are:

Raja Fashions
Welcome to Sams Tailor
Empire Int'l Tailors - Hong Kong Bespoke Tailors
Gordon Yao

Old 03-24-2014, 04:01 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,956,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
The best suits are made by bespoke tailors. If you can wait several weeks, one of the best suits you can get is one made by a Hong Kong bespoke tailor. These suits are exquisite and fit perfectly.

My husband wears bespoke suits from Hong Kong. Recently, he decided to order one without traveling to HK. He contacted the store, and they told him what to do:

1) Go to their website (or call them) to find out when one of their representatives will be in your area. The bespoke tailors have representatives who travel throughout the world and schedule appointments at local hotels to take orders.

2) At the appointment you are shown styles, fabrics, linings, and buttons. You have your measurements taken, and a rough pattern is made for you. You should have an idea of what style and fabric you like, because you will have hundreds of styles, and thousands of fabrics to choose from.

3) The representative takes your order. They accept all major credit cards.

4) The info is sent to the store, where it is made by hand.

5) Your suit is sent to you within 6 weeks. If it needs alterations, they make all the arrangements. Alterations are free.

You can expect to pay one-quarter to one-third the price you'd pay here. Thus, a $4000 suit will be approximately $1000; a $1500 suit will be $400. They also usually send you a couple of bespoke shirts as a courtesy, which is a nice touch.

You can contact them by calling the phone number on their websites; or you can look at the site to find out when they will be in your area to schedule an appointment.

Among the most highly reputed tailors are:

Raja Fashions
Welcome to Sams Tailor
Empire Int'l Tailors - Hong Kong Bespoke Tailors
Gordon Yao
This post gave me life. What is a ""bespoke"" tailor? Do any of these cater to women as well? Which of these do you prefer the most & if there is no rep in my area can I send measurements & material sample?

Old 03-24-2014, 04:13 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
This post gave me life. What is a ""bespoke"" tailor? Do any of these cater to women as well? Which of these do you prefer the most & if there is no rep in my area can I send measurements & material sample?
A bespoke suit is simply a custom made suit. It is created based on what you want and your measurements. Yes, they cater to women as well. They can be very pricey but they are well worth it. I own 1 suit and it's bespoke and every time I wear it I get tons of compliments because it fits perfectly, and is quite stylish!

Old 03-24-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
A bespoke suit is simply a custom made suit. It is created based on what you want and your measurements. Yes, they cater to women as well. They can be very pricey but they are well worth it. I own 1 suit and it's bespoke and every time I wear it I get tons of compliments because it fits perfectly, and is quite stylish!
IMO this is the way to go. Pretty much everything we wear comes from Asia anyways might as well buy it directly from there ourselves!

I see those so called bespoken tailors will do women stuff but do you know anyone who specializes in womens stuff or is that not necessary?

Also, I saw that Sam's rices go up to 500 bucks, welp thats high IMO for Asia!

Old 03-24-2014, 04:35 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Quote:
IMO this is the way to go. Pretty much everything we wear comes from Asia anyways might as well buy it directly from there ourselves!

I see those so called bespoken tailors will do women stuff but do you know anyone who specializes in womens stuff or is that not necessary?

Also, I saw that Sam's rices go up to 500 bucks, welp thats high IMO for Asia!
I don't think it's necessary to find one that specializes in womens. They are gender neutral as far as I know. My bespoke suit was over $1000 but like I said well worth it.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:53 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
Quote:
What is a ""bespoke"" tailor?
A bespoke tailor makes high-end, custom-made clothing for customers. The clothing is made specifically for the customer's physique; standard patterns are never used. The clothing is made by hand with whatever customization the client wants, including number and style of buttons on jacket, lapel width, vent style, pocket style and placement, pant pleats, cuffs, lining fabric, etc.

Quote:
Do any of these cater to women as well?
Yes, most have women's divisions. I don't think Gordon Yao does. The craftsmanship is equally as high as with the men's clothing.

Quote:
Which of these do you prefer the most & if there is no rep in my area can I send measurements & material sample?
For men's clothing, Raja, Sam's Tailor, and Gordon Yao are my favorites. I'm less familiar with which is best for women's clothing. But you cannot really go wrong with any of them.

I don't know if you can send your own measurements. Somehow, I doubt it. These tailors are very particular about their work and probably wouldn't trust measurements from someone they don't know. However, they all speak English, so you should call and speak to them directly.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:09 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I think the OP was probably not in the market for a custom tailored suit. We need to just talk him out of going to Goodwill and not even trying it on.
A regular guy who doesn't want to spend a lot of money for a suit that he only will wear once or twice a year needs to go to a place that sells middle quality and has alteration service. I agree with the Men's Warehouse suggestion. I will only add: buy wool only, no polyester. Silk tie only, and buy a shirt that goes by neck size, not small, med, large.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think the OP was probably not in the market for a custom tailored suit. We need to just talk him out of going to Goodwill and not even trying it on.
A regular guy who doesn't want to spend a lot of money for a suit that he only will wear once or twice a year needs to go to a place that sells middle quality and has alteration service. I agree with the Men's Warehouse suggestion. I will only add: buy wool only, no polyester. Silk tie only, and buy a shirt that goes by neck size, not small, med, large.
True that but I like the Besoken Idea. Looks like what OP needs & can afford! And the rest of us too!

Old 03-26-2014, 04:09 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,728,760 times
Take him to the places and let him pick it out, that's really the best way to get him a suit that he wants. You never know he might like something like this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty