Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer cargo shorts or regular khaki shorts on men?
Cargo Shorts 21 48.84%
Khaki Shorts (without the extra pockets) 22 51.16%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:40 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times

Advertisements

You won't see me in either one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 11:22 AM

784 posts, read 1,980,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Of course. It just depends on the situation. As long as a guy isn't wearing 70s era short shorts, I don't notice.
That's when men could actually wear real shorts without having their sexuality called into question and being harassed! I bring that up because I see a slight parallel between 1970s and 1980s short shorts and cargo shorts. That is, when short men shorts were in vogue, long shorts were looked down upon. in the late 1990s and through the 2000s, cargo shorts were all the rage. Now, it seems that they might be going the way of the mullet and other now looked down upon styles that were once popular. Anytime I hear someone mention cargo shorts lately, it is almost always always in a negative way.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:37 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Guy here but, I think Cargo shorts are a little more....masculine.....khakis are preppy and if you like Brad Pitt I guess you can look good in anything.....Cargo's are incredibly practical and they are now tapered to flatter a bit for most guys....

And, if you carry a lot of stuff, they can do so somewhat discreetly....I carry everything from a gun, notebook, pocketknife, smartphone, sunglasses, wallet, change, keys, comb....yes, a comb...remember those?, camera...yes, a camera...remember those?, chapstick, recorder, flash drives, etc....all interchangeably and at any given time....and yet, you would be hard pressed to know it if I approached you or walked by....even have a small tablet (7 inch) that sticks out slightly from the cargo pocket....needed it for a quote....kind of bulky but, wasn't impossible....

Example....had a small, discreet concealed firearm, pocketknife clipped (they are like cellphones...once you have one, you wonder how you ever got along without them from opening plastic packaging, letters, boxes, etc...cheap too, $15 or less) cell phone, wallet and keys last night when I went to see a movie....two officers working off-duty never even noticed as I passed them routinely....everything was buried in the cargos or inside the pants holster, baggy t-shirt....hey, ever since that carrot top shot up the theater in Denver I haven't been able to go to a theater or anywhere at night without one....just a choice but, I keep it very, very, very well concealed.....and NO one noticed.....discretion is key.....

Try doing THAT in a pair of Kahki Shorts....I would have been getting cavity searched in two minutes flat....no thanks.....

Khaki shorts are for guys wearing incredibly well broken in topsiders with a button down or polo, leather belt, and a casual rich demeanor with maybe a money clip...usually wears cologne....better look like Brad Pitt or you might wake up with your shorts around your ankle a gal named "Pat" whistling in the other room....no thanks....

Old 08-30-2015, 11:48 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It makes a difference?

The only difference I can see is that some men have better legs and some men have legs that they would hide, if they cared all that much about how they look to the general public.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:34 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,645 times
Who gives a damn.

I have multiple pairs of both cargo and khaki shorts, and have worn both plenty of times all over the place. If I like it, I buy it (if not too expensive) and wear it. I just try to match the shorts to the shirt a bit. Cargo shorts are practical, and work better with t-shirts. Khaki shorts are cleaner looking, especially on slimmer or athletic guys. Khaki shorts also work better with polos and golf shirts.

As for business functions, unless it's a company picnic, I've never worn shorts to one.

Neither are out of style (and I don't pay much attention to "fashion trends" anyway). I suspect most women would be more turned off by you being insecure and caring too much about this in the first place.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:14 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Honestly I don't care much for either one. I have a few shorts now for the warm weather but I do not like them much. I think the fashion industry has gone to great lenghts to make men look bad. Just look at the clothes that stores carry for men, I don't get it. It is as if men should be ashamed of their bodies especially their legs.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:15 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Cargo pants are pretty 1990s at this point. On men, on women, short or long. I'm over them.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:03 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
If I'm working shorts, they're either cargo or athletic shorts. I have yet to see another style of shorts that isn't preppy or hipster style, and hate both.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:09 AM

358 posts, read 282,918 times
Khaki are the fashion now unless you're fat, and no socks wearing shoes. Cargo makes you look fat and uglier lol

Old 09-03-2015, 07:45 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I had cargos but didn't need all the pockets, therefore haven't worn them in years. Stick mostly with khakis and will not wear anything longer than 6 in inseam. I dont' care what people think of my "orientation" I like the look and don't need all that extra cloth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty