Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:01 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times

Advertisements

We cut our own hair.

Wife trims her bangs (she has gorgeous long hair), and I buzz (with the help of a kit) my head and the heads of our children.

We all have never looked better!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 03:34 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I have not let a pair of scissors near my hair in over ten years nor would I ever cut my hair ever again . I dont trust anyone to cut my hair ..ten yrs ago a foolish hairdresser nipped and tucked too much and voila I had a very bad cut that took almost 6 months to grow out . Never again will I ever trust any hairdresser with my hair .

Old 02-17-2014, 03:38 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
If like me you dont trust hairdressers to cut your hair, I wondered about how many actually cut their own hair.... I have had so many bad cuts that left me disheartened and angry , its as if they dont listen and just chop away taking far too much off and not the style I asked for... I know I have strange wavy hair but I explain this to the hairdresser and that it curls very easily and has to be cut at a longer length than with straight hair........do they listen? not a bit... I would love to find just one hairdresser who I could trust..
A self cut is the best cut! You can afford to tip yourself when you're done.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:59 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
If like me you dont trust hairdressers to cut your hair, I wondered about how many actually cut their own hair.... I have had so many bad cuts that left me disheartened and angry , its as if they dont listen and just chop away taking far too much off and not the style I asked for... I know I have strange wavy hair but I explain this to the hairdresser and that it curls very easily and has to be cut at a longer length than with straight hair........do they listen? not a bit... I would love to find just one hairdresser who I could trust..

That is horrible that so many of you have had bad experiences. I too had a bad one before, but it didn't stop me from going back, and kinda inspired me to become a stylist so I could save someone else the drama of a bad cut.

As for me, I don't cut my own, one of the girls I work with cuts mine, and I cut and color hers.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times
I've had a few bad ones, but that's why the stylist I have now I keep going back to.

You have to communicate too, like if you don't like to style your hair and want something easy, etc. I have curly/wavy hair as well. I usually keep my bangs long and do layers. I know I could never do that on my own.

Last time my bangs started to get long I DID cut my own bangs, but that was scary lol.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 PM

254 posts, read 406,031 times
Of course I cut my own hair! Everyone knows that hairstylists get to drinking and thinking! In fact, I think my bangs need a bit of attention at the moment

Old 02-17-2014, 07:47 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
I bought my first pair of clippers when I was 17. 16 years later, I'm still cutting my own hair, once every other week.
It's not a buzz either. I scissor the top how I like and taper down from size 8 to 2 on the sides and back. I line myself up as well.
I've gotten so good at it, I don't even need a mirror to do the back anymore. Takes 15 minutes max. It's not a shabby job either. When I tell people I cut my own hair, they don't believe me.

Apparently I have saved 8,320 dollars doing this, based on a 20 dollar haircut every other week for 16 years, minus the cost of a new pair of clippers every year or so. (Assuming I didn't mung up the calculation)
Cool story.

And guess what, I'm still going to pay my barber $15-20 that cuts hair 8 hours per day/5-6 days a week/for the past 30 years over doing it myself to save a few pennies (and also avoiding all of the cleanup). Even you don't have that much experience.

I love the hot shaving cream around the ears and back of the neck + the straight razor shave. $20 for a proper haircut from an experienced barber + the straight razor finish. Yup, I have no problem with it and doubt most self cutters can give themselves a straight razor finish around the ears and back of the neck, that is if they are even capable of handling a straight edge razor.

If anyone is having a hard time finding a good barber/hairstylist, much of the time it is their own fault. Barbers and hairstylists are not mind readers. If they aren't cutting your hair the way you want, say something. Many times customers will just sit there and not say anything.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:13 PM

541 posts, read 861,170 times
Quote:
Wow, I could've written this myself! Stylists who just don't listen, cut too too much, can't seem to comprehend that my strange wavy hair doesn't work if too short, etc. Totally understand!

I have a trusted best friend do my hair as the thought of attempting to cut it myself seems scary. I do know of some people who cut their own hair after having one too many bad experiences and being totally fed up and unable to trust anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
If anyone is having a hard time finding a good barber/hairstylist, much of the time it is their own fault. Barbers and hairstylists are not mind readers. If they aren't cutting your hair the way you want, say something. Many times customers will just sit there and not say anything.
That's quite an assumption! Too many times I've had to stop a stylist in the middle of a cut and tell them they aren't following what I asked them to do. Many take an attitude with that and I've had to end up sitting for the rest of the cut in fear that they'll possibly attempt to screw up purposely because I said something! And sometimes stopping them and complaining won't help because they've already chopped off too much!

Last edited by Tantamount; 02-17-2014 at 08:28 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesefourwalls View Post
Of course I cut my own hair! Everyone knows that hairstylists get to drinking and thinking! In fact, I think my bangs need a bit of attention at the moment
ROFL! You are braver than I am!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 PM

114 posts, read 301,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Guys that cut their own hair look like they cut their own hair 99% of the time. Terrible lines around the ears, no taper or square in the back, random stray hairs that are longer than others. I can afford $20 for a haircut every 2 or 3 months like most people.
lol...bald headed when i was 24...no issues with stray hairs...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty