Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 10:16 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times

Advertisements

Op give us your pic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Don't forget "snide commentary with arbitrary percentages" (0.002%)
No, I didn't. It was my bottom one And you beat my ninja edit!

Also, you think there's gonna be 1000 posts in this thread? Pretty optimistic, imo!

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I applaud the effort, as it's an interesting topic...but it won't work here. I estimate your responses as follows:

"There is no such thing as 'average, beauty is too subjective" (50%)
Argument addressing someone else's post (20%)
Comment that doesn't address the topic (15%)
Reference to self/how husband or bf views the poster (5%)
Actual responses (5%)
Other (3%)
Numerical estimations of expected responses to the OP (2%)
You left out "Unexpected responses quoting the numerical estimations of expected responses to the OP." Or does that fall under "other?"

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
This could be better... instead of one woman, this is an actual composite picture of thousands of women (from each of the nations listed).

How the average woman and man look like, in different countries | iLyke

The one about woman is featured all over the place (and you can see them better here/bigger pictures) The Average Woman's Face Around The World (PHOTO). for some reason, the no one cares as much about what the average man looks like. I don't find articles on that.

I always said I think I am average.
That's average?
Maybe it's me but the women all look above-average!
Wow.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
You left out "Unexpected responses quoting the numerical estimations of expected responses to the OP." Or does that fall under "other?"
Hmm, interesting point. If I wanted to be flexible, I could put it under "argument addressing someone else's post", I suppose....

Edit: It would probably depend on how feisty they got about my post!

Old 02-28-2014, 10:21 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
That's average?
Maybe it's me but the women all look above-average!
Wow.
It's an average created by a computer.

I didn't think of it at the time, but there is speculation (or maybe real theory) that real attractiveness is "average." So while an attractive face is an average of most faces, average attractiveness isn't.

This probably explains it better than I do:

The Beauty Math: Average Is Attractive

Quote:

There are a number of hypotheses on why we find certain faces attractive. A new study published last month in the journal Psychological Science, offered a new explanation why average faces (mathematically average, not average-looking) are judged more attractive. The researchers, Piotr Winkielman of the University of California, San Diego and Jamin Halberstadt of University of Otago in New Zealand, said that we prefer average faces because they are closer to our mental prototype of a face. In other words, average faces are more "face-like."

So the faces in the picture I found (I think) would be "mathematical averages" not average looking. So maybe my post isn't really in the spirit of the OPs real question (now that I think about it). He's talking about "average looking" not an "average face."

Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
I think a woman like Katie Holmes is average, but thats my type. She looks like the girl next door (and played one). There's plenty of actresses that are way below average, such as Sarah Jessica Parker. I gravitate towards Latin women, so Jennifer Lopez (not so much anymore, but in the past), Penelope Cruz, and Salma Hayek do it for me.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I think a woman like Katie Holmes is average, but thats my type. She looks like the girl next door (and played one). There's plenty of actresses that are way below average, such as Sarah Jessica Parker. I gravitate towards Latin women, so Jennifer Lopez (not so much anymore, but in the past), Penelope Cruz, and Salma Hayek do it for me.
I want to live where you live if those are examples of "average".

Old 02-28-2014, 10:24 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Wait, you call THAT average?

I'd like to see your HOT or even BEAUTIFUL.

...On second thought, I don't think I would survive your attractive women. My heart will just stop. I'm already getting butterflies from your average.
Geez, and I was thinking the OP's example is way below average and almost homely!

Does my wife have me spoiled or what?!

Old 02-28-2014, 10:26 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I want to live where you live if those are examples of "average".
No, they are not all examples. Maybe Sarah Jessica Parker, which I never understood. Who's the actress married to Chad Lowe (Rob's brother)? She's below average, way below average. I'd have to do a more extensive search on the internet to find better examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty