Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:17 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times

Advertisements

Yes Alex I agree with a lot your saying.. but even years ago the movie stars were all kept on strict diets and exercise regimes... some on pills to keep slim.. but now as you say its pefect teeth that cost the earth. every kind of skin treatment even dermabrasion.. and we are fed this false beauty notion.... I cant for the life of me see anything nice about some like Emma Watson. Kate Winslet, Angelina, Miley.Madonna.. The best looking woman at the Oscars was this one...
Matthew McConaughey smiles proudly as he poses with wife Camila Alves at the Oscars | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 11:35 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Madonna's face was neither impressive nor ugly, but she had a good natural-looking body. I don't think she was a beauty icon, just a fashion one. She probably got more criticism for her appearance than she did praise for her face or body.

Kate Winslet isn't gorgeous, but she has a natural throwback beauty and shouldn't be cited above. I already defended Angelina.

Another factor in this is that the media is more conglomerate than it used to be. The same channels own the companies advertising products and pushing a mostly bogus concept of attainable beauty.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:50 AM

395 posts, read 546,340 times
Angelina Jolie has gotten quite thin, but I still think she is lovely. And really that is nothing new, remember how very thin Audrey Hepburn was?
Kate Winslet has that wholesome look about her, when she doesn't dye her hair too much. I like her looks.
Camila Alves is beautiful, but then, she is a model...
Charlize Theron is gorgeous, as is Scarlett Johanson. I think they look pretty healthy and beautiful as well.

Some others make no sense to me, but then beauty and the perception of it, is really a personal thing, don't you think?

Old 03-13-2014, 11:09 AM

While she had a cute face, Audrey Hepburn was one of the most overrated beauties of yesteryear and might be more responsible than any other celebrity for many females wanting to look underweight.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:38 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Yes Alex I agree with a lot your saying.. but even years ago the movie stars were all kept on strict diets and exercise regimes... some on pills to keep slim..
They had plastic surgery also. They had hair extensions & wigs. They had photo retouching, even if not as extensive as what photoshop can do. They wore corsets & girdles & padded tops/bottoms, etc. It was illusion then as well. n

The fake preferences comes from people being hyper-critical, especially towards women. You might see more natural beauties if more variety & "flaws" were acceptable. Instead, people just criticize those who don't meet the narrow standards naturally.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:53 AM

First paragraph - true enough, except Marilyn Monroe is the only female celebrity I can think of who had cosmetic surgery pre-1980. (I can think of several men who did.)

Second paragraph - mostly bitter feminist paranoia. They are not "fake preferences." The women time has not forgotten - which itself screens out the less impressive - looked better than the women famous today, to me and many others (curves, hair, fair skin, and so on). If judging is more harsh, it's because of hi-def, media overexposure, more exposed bodies, etc.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Marilyn probably had more plastic surgery than others but many had their teeth capped and nose jobs.
It was done back during the 1930's and breast implants were being done during the 60's.
Rita Hayworth had a dramatic change in her appearance. You can read about her on the link below.

Marlene Dietrich invented the Croydon facelift; Marilyn Monroe shaved her face... The unlikely secrets of Hollywood icons | Mail Online

Old 03-14-2014, 03:23 PM

That's interesting but minor stuff compared to today's procedures. One cool thought that then came to mind is that maybe the 'improvement' in cosmetic dentistry is one reason for our overrated current "well marketed beauty icons." As in many celebrities with similar, fake-looking smiles that can highlight masculine lower faces
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty