Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:36 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
Here's another thing to consider: people become habituated to how you look "normally". Would you rather dress up and put the full face on everyday, and have people comment "wow, are you OK?" when you are makeup free, or would you rather take the minimalist approach and blow everyone away at the office party when you are dolled up?
This is exactly what I always say!

Since I very rarely wear makeup, when I do, people almost always comment on it... usually in a positive way, but sometimes they say (or imply) that I look better without. And since everyone who knows me well is used to seeing me bare-faced, I haven't ever been told I look tired, old, sick, etc, without the makeup. So I'd rather take this route than the alternative, but I realize not everyone has the natural features & skin to pull it off daily. Us redheads are lucky, since our freckles & complexion aren't even really compatible with foundations (liquid or powder). Have you ever seen a redhead with foundation that erases their freckles? It makes us look half-dead, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 09:40 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes, I can relate. To you. Not to your friend.

I had a friend once who insisted that she could not leave home "without her face".
Meaning her makeup.

I'm rather spontaneous. I lost patients. She was also a very fake person, on other levels.

I think many of them suffer from low self esteems. I know that was the case of my former friend.
I have a friend who used to be like that, probably because she suffered from terrible acne in her teens... and even after the acne cleared up, she was too accustomed to wearing a "full face" every day. Now that she's married with two young children, and a SAHM, I only see her get done-up for special occasions. Guess her priorities have changed, plus she (I hope) isn't looking to attract a man anymore.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And I'd bet my bottom dollar your husband doesn't go around looking like a wild man, either. I'd bet he shaves daily, and goes after those crazy eye brow hairs, trims the nose hairs and pulls the ear hairs. He combs his hair out, and maybe adds a little gel to keep it in place.

This is the thing -- my husband takes good care of himself -- and he takes longer than I do -- too look good for me... why shouldn't I put a little face spackle on to look good for him, too?
You nailed it! My husband is a stickler for personal hygiene and grooming. He is the quintessential Texas gentleman all the way live!

And like your husband, mine often takes longer getting dressed than me!

Old 03-07-2014, 06:25 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
it's honestly no more difficult to put on something attractive than it is to put on something sloppy and ill fitting. Pants still have two legs and usually a button and/or zipper -whether they fit well or not. Shoes still come in pairs. It's just as easy to put on a cute shirt as it is to put on one that's plain, or ugly.
THIS!!!!
Can't tell you how much it bugs me when people who dress in horrible ill-fitting unflattering clothes - mom jeans, oversized sweats, ugly sweaters, men's clothes on women (not in a stylish 'boyfriend' way) etc etc, make excuses that they dress like that because "it's comfoooooortaaaaable", or the martyrs that say they can't dress any better because they have kids, or they're too busy with work, or whatever. Guess what, you still need to wear clothing!! So those ugly-ass clothes you put on took exactly as long as any other ones would. In the age of online shopping it's so easy to buy stuff online with free returns even if you can't make it to the store and try it on in the comfort of home. Excuses for not caring is all it is.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:34 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm not about the heavy makeup, but the OP is not talking just about heavy makeup - he made it clear that the woman he's discussing is dressed well from the tip of her toes to the top of her head. Well groomed, polished looking - in my book that doesn't necessarily mean "fake" looking, or insecure, or whatever. To me it mean simply WELL GROOMED. Some people instinctively know how to dress, wear their hair, etc with a certain panache that is not FAKE - it's actually an expression of their personality (usually an artistic bent).

I say more power to 'em.
True. I mean, there is put-together, and there is ridiculously overdressed or tacky, for instance.
I mean is the OP talking about a woman who looks like this for example? She's obviously immaculately groomed and expensively dressed, however it's appropriate and not overdone.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think of people who never leave the house without heavy makeup, fancy clothes, hair and totally made up?-1028smpinkcoatweb.jpg  

Old 03-08-2014, 06:11 AM

164 posts, read 195,862 times
Whatever floats their boat. If they like to put in the time and effort, usually I appreciate the effort.

For the past 7 months, I've been getting never ending flack from people at my workplace for not dressing up. On the other hand, I now understand when their daughters dress like they're ready to go clubbing every time they show up for work for their summer job at the office. I work in a cube and I don't need to see people other than the six people who work in my department everyday. I've been to investment firm (research/wholesale side) where people walked around in pajama pants and bunny slippers on. I dress in slacks everyday other than casual Friday and I do the "no makeup" makeup look. I get comments about how I'm lying about being Cantonese Chinese as most Cantonese girls primp themselves to the nines in the "flaunt it if you have it and fake it if you don't" way. Well, most Cantonese people don't owe their own 3,000 sq ft house at 27 while being single or have a decent bank account.

I dress up when I care to impress or when I am in the mood to. But no full makeup. Lea Seydoux never wears full makeup either and I happen to think she's damn gorgeous.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:35 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
THIS!!!!
Can't tell you how much it bugs me when people who dress in horrible ill-fitting unflattering clothes - mom jeans, oversized sweats, ugly sweaters, men's clothes on women (not in a stylish 'boyfriend' way) etc etc, make excuses that they dress like that because "it's comfoooooortaaaaable", or the martyrs that say they can't dress any better because they have kids, or they're too busy with work, or whatever. Guess what, you still need to wear clothing!! So those ugly-ass clothes you put on took exactly as long as any other ones would. In the age of online shopping it's so easy to buy stuff online with free returns even if you can't make it to the store and try it on in the comfort of home. Excuses for not caring is all it is.
Love your posts, Cookie. I so totally agree with you and KathrynA. It takes the same amount of time to put on clothes that fit well and flatter the figure and still be comfy. I know because I do it. Of course I don't expect people who are working out at the gym or whatnot to be fancy, but even then there are choices.

It's not that I even think people who don't like makeup have to wear it, there are some who look nice without it, BUT they dress nicely and have a nice hairstyle, and that makes a difference! Anyhoo, I don't even like to wear ugly-ass clothes when I go out for my neighborhood bike ride - they make me feel dumpy and unattractive and I do not enjoy feeling that way. And like KathrynA said, our husbands take notice! Plus even at age 64 I get hit on and I tell you what, I don't mind it at all!

Old 03-08-2014, 10:19 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
I think practical.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Love your posts, Cookie. I so totally agree with you and KathrynA. It takes the same amount of time to put on clothes that fit well and flatter the figure and still be comfy. I know because I do it. Of course I don't expect people who are working out at the gym or whatnot to be fancy, but even then there are choices.

It's not that I even think people who don't like makeup have to wear it, there are some who look nice without it, BUT they dress nicely and have a nice hairstyle, and that makes a difference! Anyhoo, I don't even like to wear ugly-ass clothes when I go out for my neighborhood bike ride - they make me feel dumpy and unattractive and I do not enjoy feeling that way. And like KathrynA said, our husbands take notice! Plus even at age 64 I get hit on and I tell you what, I don't mind it at all!
Couldn't rep you and evilcookie again but I'm glad we are carrying the style torch - and I am sure our significant others are too!

By the way, it's International Womens' Day. GO, US!

Old 04-01-2014, 04:20 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
If one wants to make all that effort that is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty