Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:40 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times

Advertisements

I think it is great she takes the time to look good - not fair saying she is insecure - maybe she likes to look good for herself? A lot of women are just plain lazy and look like crap when they go out - yeah - I know - who cares what anyone thinks....blah, blah, blah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 07:22 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
A friend of my wife is always glamorous. She never leaves the house unless she is dressed and made up like she is appearing at the Academy Awards. Heavy Makeup, eye shadow, her hair done just right, fancy EXPENSIVE shoes, clothes and the whole thing. She is never casual, always glamorous and dressed like a movie star. Even on weekends and Holidays.

Seems like a lot of work, but BOY! does she look good!

Can you relate? Observations about people like this?
This is the polar opposite of another thread I replied to in which the OP did not like people leaving the house in their pajamas with no makeup, no fuss, etc. LOL.

She is probably set in her ways. I hope she does not do that when going to a drive through fast food restaurant. Her husband is probably the only one who could influence her otherwise. Don't know what else to say...would rather see that than some slob who did not bother to shower or groom at all in their PJ's at the grocery store or Walmart. The happy medium is better yet. Hopefully, she can let her hair down for casual backyard barbecues eventually, etc, but if the husband is cool with it, it will probably not change.

Do any of her other female friends do the same thing? It could be a "competition/status" thing if she does...kind of ridiculous, but it happens.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:48 PM

858 posts, read 1,806,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Most women bare-faced do not look as good as the Sports Illustrated swimsuit model in the magazine spreads. Yeah, that is true.
There isn't ANY real women (even the models) that look as good as the Photoshopped images in the magazines. Just check this video:
La «perfection» après photoshop. - YouTube

Old 03-04-2014, 09:00 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
There isn't ANY real women (even the models) that look as good as the Photoshopped images in the magazines.
I do PhotoShop as a portrait photographer, so I'm very aware of it. I wouldn't say there isn't any woman because I have not seen every woman in the world. I've seen some that come very, very close with just a bit of makeup without 'Shopping, though--close enough that meeting them in real life, you would not notice (minor flaws are much more noticeable in a still image).

There have always been a few women who really do look as good as the 'Shopped models (although always with a bit of makeup). But there were always much fewer than you see in magazines today, which is why the supermodels of years past had much longer careers...there were so few true ones.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:03 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
My mom had a three minute face. Her's was powder foundation, bronzer and mascara and lipstick.

I have a three minute face. I dot a little concealer under each eye, on each cheek and a dot on my chin to cover rosacea redness. I pat that into place. I take a small bit of tinited moisturizer, rub it over my fingers and pat that into place. I brush on a little blush. Add a little pearl pink eyeshadow over the whole lid, brown into the crease and mascara.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:25 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Went to a church service one time where the preacher (independent Baptist) said there's nothing wrong with a little make up on women. "Every old barn needs a new coat of paint every now and then." That's when his usually quiet wife spoke up, "Who are you calling an old barn?"

Old 03-04-2014, 09:27 PM

311 posts, read 450,647 times
I think it's important to at least look like you've made an effort in presenting yourself, especially if going to work or going to a social function. Now if you're running errands, going to the gym, groceries, gas, etc. there is no need to waste the money/effort of applying cosmetics and such for that.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:31 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
I've known a few women like that. They always look nice, but sometimes, it takes them forever to get ready. Anyway, so long as I don't have to pay for the thousands of dollars worth of clothes, it's fine with me.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:36 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times
A poster said they don't see men in pjs. I do. It is usually younger men, but they wear pj pants out in public a lot. If you live near a college, you will see it all of the time. They also seem to roll out of bed without shaving or combing their hair. It is their choice, but it is not any different to me than a woman rolling out and going to town.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:24 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Most women bare-faced do not look as good as the Sports Illustrated swimsuit model in the magazine spreads. Yeah, that is true.
Of course not... they are MODELS, with professional stylists & makeup artists, not to mention professional lighting/cameras. Even without makeup they probably look better than a made-up normal woman, since their whole job is to look pretty. Duh.

You also cannot compare the makeup needs of a model or performer to a "regular person," as being on camera (or on stage) actually DOES require makeup to look halfway decent. I used to compete in figure skating competitions, and never went out there without full-on stage makeup - without it my features would completely disappear, which would possibly hurt my chances at a medal (they do judge on looks somewhat). But walking around the street without stage lighting? Not necessary to look attractive, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty