Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 01:55 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,489,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany's Ring View Post
You can google up "adultsearch" (I think it's called). You can find some of them in there.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

You have been invited to join my ignore list.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:00 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,952,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

You have been invited to join my ignore list.
How many people have you ignored BECAUSE of this Lupita thread? Lupita does not keep your lights up, stop taking things so personal

Old 03-09-2014, 03:41 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,353,950 times
I have been thinking about why I find Lupita so beautiful and, for me, it is about what she represents to young women (of any color - I am white). It is about being comfortable in your own skin/body, being highly educated, being well-spoken, being strong yet compassionate, being graceful under pressure, being confident in your natural, perhaps imperfect beauty....

As a mother of a beautiful, self-confident, highly intelligent, pre-teen, I want my daughter to see women like Lupica who are successful. I like Lupita for the same reason I really like Jennifer Lawrence. They both come across as honest, talented, intelligent women who can be good role models. They stand for inner beauty and are not overly sexualized/objectified by the Hollywood machine.

These type of women are standouts in a sea of Miley Cyruses and Kim Kardashians. I could probably count on 2 hands the number of Hollywood women who come across as intelligently as Lupica and Jennifer Lawrence. If young women are going to emulate a "star," I'd prefer it be someone like this.

Check out this speech Lupita gave about beauty...

Oscar Winner Lupita Nyong'o's Speech On Beauty That Left An Entire Audience Speechless

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 03-09-2014 at 03:53 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 05:13 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,462,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
First of all, Amber Rose does not have butt length straight hair. Her hair is even shorter than Lupita's.

Funny how Amber Rose is ""interracial"" when it best suits you. You just said you ""don't like bleached hair on black people"" thus insinuating she is black but when some one mentions her beauty suddenly she is ""interracial"

You mentioned having prejudice about hair, I have a preferance with skin tone. I prefer medium tones like Amber Rose, thats why I tan as I find pale white skin not attractive. I also do not like skin thats too dark. Thats just me. Think about it, its an unwritten rule that skin tone has to be medium. Thats why white people tan & thats why all the most famous black women in Hollywood are lighter than their peers.The only notable exception IMO was Naomi Campbell because her bone structure is chiselled to the Gods. She could of been pink with silver dots & still slayed.

Stop trying to make fetch happen. Lupita is no Naomi
Please do not adopt a black child. Stay away.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
It sounds as though she's as Mexican as another famous Mexican actress -- Selma Hayek whose ethnicity is Arab but also born in Mexico. Only Lupita has spent time in her parents' nation also.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:35 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,184,843 times
I like her but its Only because she was nominated and won an oscar .

I don't see women like Tika sumpter being championed as beautiful

Old 03-09-2014, 06:38 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,263,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren4343 View Post
Everyone has a right to wear their hair as they wish. I love my natural hair, but it does take a lot of time to do. I happen to prefer my coils to straight hair, because there's far more versatility, and I'm not a slave to the salon. Also, I love being able to go swimming on a regular basis without worrying about my hair.

Lately, I've noticed that lots of black guys (on black oriented forums) say that they prefer natural hair, etc, but offline, I rarely see a plethora of black men dating natural haired women. In my experience, many will go after those with relaxers or weaves. Obviously every black guy out there doesn't prefer straight hair, but many do, based on my personal experiences. I don't think there's anything wrong with anyone having a certain preference, but it can be a bit hypocritical to constantly speak about preferring natural hair, if that's not what the person is truly seeking.

It may be due to my location, but I get far more attention from non black guys, than black guys
I wear locs, and this has not been my experience. I get attention from all races (sorry, that sounded conceited).

I did notice that I got more attention as my locs grew (they are below my waist).

Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 PM

37,494 posts, read 45,798,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
1) There is no such thing as "Mexican" blood. A Mexican (and ALL Hispanics) can be of ANY race.

2) Lupita Nyong'o is a Mexican citizen by birth.
Yes, I know that. I was in a hurry when I posted, but I assure you I know very well the difference between ethnicity and race. What I intended to say was that she was not HISPANIC, and is Mexican by birth since she was born there.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:02 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,184,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I have been thinking about why I find Lupita so beautiful and, for me, it is about what she represents to young women (of any color - I am white). It is about being comfortable in your own skin/body, being highly educated, being well-spoken, being strong yet compassionate, being graceful under pressure, being confident in your natural, perhaps imperfect beauty....

As a mother of a beautiful, self-confident, highly intelligent, pre-teen, I want my daughter to see women like Lupica who are successful. I like Lupita for the same reason I really like Jennifer Lawrence. They both come across as honest, talented, intelligent women who can be good role models. They stand for inner beauty and are not overly sexualized/objectified by the Hollywood machine.

These type of women are standouts in a sea of Miley Cyruses and Kim Kardashians. I could probably count on 2 hands the number of Hollywood women who come across as intelligently as Lupica and Jennifer Lawrence. If young women are going to emulate a "star," I'd prefer it be someone like this.

Check out this speech Lupita gave about beauty...

Oscar Winner Lupita Nyong'o's Speech On Beauty That Left An Entire Audience Speechless

We need more of these intelligent, well spoken women for our young girls to look up to.

Seeing Miley Cyrus bent over with her butt in some guys crotch made me so sad. I'm no prude, I get that she wants to be seen as grown up, but why not do that by writing some intelligent lyrics, or standing up for important causes instead of bending over for some guy.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:55 AM

49 posts, read 78,218 times
The majority of the people complimenting Lupita are women. Unfortunately, it is not women who control the media, the fashion industry or even beauty. It's men. White men to be exact.

Some have given examples of successful dark skinned women in the industry; however, they only represent a handful of the "black" women in Hollywood. (Halle, Paula Patton, etc. can continue to call themselves black, but they are still light skinned and biracial.) Plus, many of them have been acting or modeling since the 80s. Sanaa Lathan, Gabrielle Union, Nia Long, Angela Bassett, Naomi Campbell, etc, are all over 40. Where is the new talent?

Margot Robbie from "Wolves of Wall Street" wasn't even nominated but she already has landed two movies roles since the movie came out. Lupita? umm.... Sorry, but black beauty will never be appreciated unless it's on a white women's body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.