Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:45 PM

33 posts, read 49,858 times

Advertisements

I was watching some of the coverage of the award winning African actress, Lupita Nyong'o. As a dark skinned African American woman, I must admit, it's truly refreshing to see a beautiful and slender African woman like Lupita, receiving praise for her acting abilities and remarkable beauty. Usually, the majority of women in the states who reap tons of accolades are often white or other non black women, who are often mixed and have light skin and general white features.

I am wondering if this will open up the door for other gorgeous dark black women to shine? Your thoughts??

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hhPt52GTe7...s1600/lupi.jpg

Last edited by Lauren4343; 03-06-2014 at 10:00 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
I am not sure why you think its refreshing to see a slender,dark skinned woman when most in Hollywood are slender.

I mean,most of the African American actresses are slender.
When have you saw a dark skinned,thick woman called beautiful?

I want to see more thick,beautiful,dark skinned African American women.

I am not throwing shade,its just that she is still the stereotypical "dark skinned,thin woman". We have Naomi Campbell,Iman,Beverly Johnson,the other tall,dark model from Sudan(I forgot her name).

Name someone overweight AND dark skinned called beautiful?

I am not saying they have to be Gabby Sidebe's size either.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:30 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Agree.... I did a double take when I saw her at the Oscars in that beautiful blue gown. She was gorgeous - a standout - completely different from the typical Hollywood beauty.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:42 PM

686 posts, read 1,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren4343 View Post

I am wondering if this will open up the door for other gorgeous dark black women to shine? Your thoughts??
]

The door has never been closed. I thought she looked beautiful in that Oscars dress. When she gave her speech she became even MORE beautiful. I think American black women should learn from her. She had poise, grace, didn't talk like a stupid Basketball Housewife or "Hot-Lanta Housewife". She is the epitome of elegance, grace, and beauty.

Oh, and she's African Mexican (not African American) for those who wonder about her background.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I am not sure why you think its refreshing to see a slender,dark skinned woman when most in Hollywood are slender.

I mean,most of the African American actresses are slender.
When have you saw a dark skinned,thick woman called beautiful?

I want to see more thick,beautiful,dark skinned African American women.

I am not throwing shade,its just that she is still the stereotypical "dark skinned,thin woman". We have Naomi Campbell,Iman,Beverly Johnson,the other tall,dark model from Sudan(I forgot her name).

Name someone overweight AND dark skinned called beautiful?

I am not saying they have to be Gabby Sidebe's size either.
Overweight body types tend to be vastly associated with unhealthy practices and poor health outcomes.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
The door has never been closed. I thought she looked beautiful in that Oscars dress. When she gave her speech she became even MORE beautiful. I think American black women should learn from her. She had poise, grace, didn't talk like a stupid Basketball Housewife or "Hot-Lanta Housewife". She is the epitome of elegance, grace, and beauty.
There are a number of American black women who have the same level of grace, elegance and beauty, but are often not showcased. Unfortunately, the ones that are usually showcased do not have the above attributes, therefore people tend to believe that they represent all black women, when this is not the case.

Quote:
Oh, and she's African Mexican (not African American) for those who wonder about her background.
Lupita was simply born in Mexico. Due to being born in Mexico, she has citizenship there, however she also has citizenship in Kenya and was primarily raised in her parent's native country. Her family is upper middle class and occupies prominent positions within the Kenyan government. Lastly, Lupita was formally educated in the U.S. (she has a master's degree from Yale).

African American women strongly support Lupita because many of us are tired of the negative portrayals of black women and tired of black women being replaced by mixed women in movies/entertainment. Mixed women are beautiful, but they should not be allowed to replace black women. I feel so much pride when I see Lupita in all of her beautiful glory. I sincerely hope she continues to shine and stays in the spotlight, because dark black girls need to see positive portrayals of those who resemble them.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Agree.... I did a double take when I saw her at the Oscars in that beautiful blue gown. She was gorgeous - a standout - completely different from the typical Hollywood beauty.
Typically, we see the same type of beauty being recognized, so when a woman like Lupita comes along, everyone is forced to take notice. She has such poise and confidence. I find her inner and outer beauty very refreshing.

I also love the fact that she's small breasted and doesn't feel the need to hide this fact. She seems very comfortable in her own skin.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:17 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times
She is so pretty and has been beautifully dressed throughout the awards season. I'm assuming she is using a stylist, as most actresses do, and they are doing a great job. She always looks elegant, although I would have preferred a higher neckline on her Oscar dress. Still, the dresses have been simple but elegant (I hate overly fussy dresses).

It was sweet to see her so excited about winning her Oscar!

BTW, she attended Yale Drama School, just like Meryl Streep.

Talent and beauty.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:48 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren4343 View Post
Overweight body types tend to be vastly associated with unhealthy practices and poor health outcomes.
So,what does that have to do with finding bigger women beautiful?

To me,she is the same old same old skinny minnie in Hollywood.

Wake me up when a thick,dark skinned woman comes along.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:53 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
"african-american" smh

how is someone with a kenyan father who was born in mexico city an "african-american"

calling her black is too hard to do i suppose

but i see some prev posters caught this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty