Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 05:17 PM

112 posts, read 308,672 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a position that requires me to be out of the house by 7 a.m. I should start out by saying I am not a morning person. I want to look polished and pulled together but don't have a lot of time to spend. What are your morning must-dos? How do I get the most bang for my buck so to speak. I know I should chose my outfit and lay it out the night before. What other tips can you give me?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 05:42 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
My week prep is done on Saturday afternoons and Sunday evenings.

On Saturday afternoon:

- Clean, iron, and pick out clothing for the coming week. Line it up by day, with an extra "emergency" outfit.
- Go to the store and get food for the week (plan meals so leftovers are left for lunch)
- Get anything else needed for the week, including gas

On Sunday evening:

- Make sure the food is cooked for the week. I frequently do a meatloaf and chicken, part of which I freeze.
- Pack lunch for Monday
- Pack anything I need for the next day and put it in my tote or at the "launch point"
- Get to bed at a decent hour

EVERY weekday evening:

- About 7:00 pm - pack lunch for the next day
- Make sure everything I need is in my tote or at the "launch point"
- Take a shower
- Go to bed at a decent hour

Overall strategies:

- I keep my hair short and my make up very simple: just a little foundation and blush (in the winter)
- Breakfast is simple: yogurt and fruit or instant oatmeal
- I don't touch the computer
- I don't listen to phone messages (unless the weather is very bad)

Basically, I do everything possible the night before so that I can sleep as late as possible, plus make as few decisions as possible.

If you are just starting out, it may take as much as 3 weeks to refine your routine, and there might be some back-sliding. Don't give up! And don't listen to idiots who say you are over-organized or something of the sort. Getting off to a great start, getting to work on time each day, plus being ready to work, and saving tons of money by packing a lunch will have excellent benefits!

BTW the hardest thing for me is to get to bed on time. Now that I'm riding my bike again, I'm super tired by 9:30 pm, so that helps a lot.

Oh, and for those who argue that the "weekend is for fun," once you get organized, the prep gets faster. If you follow this routine successfully for awhile and then back slide and have some "accidents" (lateness, etc), you'll soon see the value of doing stuff on the weekend. It also helps free up your evenings.

Added:

This may hurt, but for the first couple of months, try to go to bed and get up at the same time every day, even on weekends. I know there will probably be the desire to sleep in a lot of the weekends. If you can resist that, you will reset your body clock and have a much easier time at 5:30 am or whatever time you must get up.

Once you start feeling better in the early mornings, you might be able to do a fancier make up routine, but I'd rather sleep. (-;

Last edited by Meemur; 03-19-2014 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-19-2014, 06:33 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Set a course for what you do. Ex for me-Shower, shave, Iron clothes, polish shoes, eat And over and out. Leave items like the cell phone, transit card or car keys, and work stuff (gear, paperwork, Laptop etc) in one spot. I wake up at 5:00 AM and live almost an hour away from work and this routine helps me esp if bad weather demands I leave even earlier. My start time is 7:30 AM on my early days.

Drink a tall glass of water or 2 also before leaving, Being hydrated helps a lot. I did not realize it did until I started doing this. I drink coffee but found having it right before I open the desk is better then at home.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:57 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Coffee is a non-negotiable for me.

If showering at night instead of in the morning works for you, that is a huge time saver. I'm a morning person, but showering in the morning adds easily an hour to my a.m. routine. YMMV. I usually shower at night, then just do a splash and brush teeth freshen up thing in the morning.

Ditto leaving everything you need for the day in one spot, and charged up, ready to go. For me it's a charging station and designated spot on the kitchen counter. If there's something extra I have to remember, I set an alert on my phone the previous day because I always check my phone first thing in the morning.

Clothes (including undies and shoes) out, whatever personal grooming items you need to feel good all in one place.
Make a commitment to yourself that you'll do x, y and z EVERY MORNING NO MATTER WHAT. Such as make bed, wash out coffee cup, wipe down bathroom counter....each of these takes 60 seconds or less and helps you get into the habit of having morning habits.

Speaking of habits, Habit Forge has been very helpful for me in maintaining goals.
http://habitforge.com/goals

Old 03-19-2014, 07:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Get up earlier.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:03 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
My Internship required leaving at 6:20 AM to reach a facility 60 miles away. I usually arrived there by 7:35 AM. There was a bakery nearby where they served really good breakfast (Try to see if such places exist on the way or nearby your workplace). I ate there instead of home. Got everything set and started working by 8:00 AM sharp. Here is my daily routine as a guy, but as a woman I recommend you shift showering to the night before so as to leave time for dressing up and touch up:

Organize what you need the night before
Sleep early enough, set the heat or A/C to a comfortable level.
Wake up on time with an alarm, don't roll back and snooze
Wash your face
Drink some hot coffee
Take a quick shower
Put on your business attire (For me, it was a dress shirt, tie, and dress pants with a black belt)
Comb your hair with coconut oil and spray on cologne
Polish your shoes.
Start your car
Enjoy the sunrise drive
Park your car
Pick up breakfast (Toast and marmalade filled with apples=yum). Complement it with orange juice.
Boot up the computer and start working

Old 03-19-2014, 10:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I wear simple outfits that I usually put out the night before. I wear little makeup, and have simple hair. I don't usually change my earrings, or wear any other jewelry, except my wedding ring. Anything going to work with me is in one spot so I can grab it and go.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:19 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magemom View Post
I just accepted a position that requires me to be out of the house by 7 a.m. I should start out by saying I am not a morning person. I want to look polished and pulled together but don't have a lot of time to spend. What are your morning must-dos? How do I get the most bang for my buck so to speak. I know I should chose my outfit and lay it out the night before. What other tips can you give me?

Thanks.
Do as I do an wake an hout to an hour befoe before. i AM 42 years old and if I can do t, so can you.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:57 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magemom View Post

Thanks.
Getting up earlier is the most logical course. Unless you don't mind stumbling around and running out the door.

I had an Air Force roommate that would get up at 0400 to get ready for the day! Did her hair and full makeup job each morning. We were at a remote location, so she just walked to work at 0700! Three hours of makeup time. She was attractive in a Dolly Parton sort of way.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:09 AM

166 posts, read 241,026 times
Go to bed early,save shower for after you wake up,and drink coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty