Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 04:28 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Simply don't look!

I live in Austin, TX and its dam**ed hot here in the summer---well over 100+ for weeks during the summer, and not much better in the Fall and Spring. I'm not bundling myself up because some may not like my "imperfect" body. As long as I'm not naked and don't stink, anything else is none of your concern!
Exploding jigglies is the photonic equivalent of stinking. Arguably worse since range of view will usually exceed the range of stink in the realm of personal noxiousness. If we agree that we don't want to assault the olfactory sensibilities of our fellow Americans, why in God's name would we offer amnesty for those who embrace ophthalmic assault?

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 03-22-2014 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 05:52 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
OH Lawd. Lol.
No kidding.

I keep think this is some sort of weird joke, but apparently not. It keeps on pontificating and getting its panties in a wad about...something, I'm not sure what.

Can I sue someone for opthalmic assault? That's A Thing, now?

(Or did someone just learn the word opthalmic and decide to use it in a sentence today....I don't know.)

Old 03-22-2014, 06:55 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Exploding jigglies is the photonic equivalent of stinking. Arguably worse since range of view will usually exceed the range of stink in the realm of personal noxiousness. If we agree that we don't want to assault the olfactory sensibilities of our fellow Americans, why in God's name would we offer amnesty for those who embrace ophthalmic assault?
OK Marc, that's enough . Don't talk like an illiterate Brute, alright. One cant control a person's will to breathe, as its an involuntary action. Holding your breath for too long can lead to death due to alteration of the natural respiration process in human beings. However, one has complete control over what they see. Additionally, you can look away from unpleasant scenes as long as possible and still survive. Even after all this talk, why don't you still understand this fact.

Hear this Marc. I too hate it when women wear inappropriate clothing at times. Someone wearing tank tops and yoga pants into fine dining makes me steam, regardless of hot they look (sorry if I hurt anybody here). But if it happens, I just avoid looking at them. Its not something under my control and I have no right to tell how they should be doing things. Perhaps she is hungry after hiking, who knows .

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 03-22-2014 at 07:45 PM..

Old 03-22-2014, 07:28 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Women are never too old to wear sleeveless dresses. Dresses are more comfortable than pants - always have been. Dresses with long sleeves get in the way of elbows - we've all been there. Dresses with short sleeves are like sleeveless dresses, except the little short sleeve rides up (uncomfortably). Sleeveless dresses make the most sense. A sweater works if it's cool, and otherwise sleeveless dresses are the most comfortable.

Best I can figure out is that even if women's arm muscles get weaker, and the arm droops a bit, if it's comfortable, wear it.

I don't much care for the deep cleavage, but sleeveless works for me.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:06 PM

Alrighty then. I think we've covered this topic adequately. If my rantings save this summer's Boardwalk from even one muffin top and one beer gut, this thread will not have been in vain.

But in the final analysis, all kidding aside, the correct answer to the original question is that you are never too old to go sleeveless. But it cannot be a bad idea to hit the gym and make those exposed arms show some muscle tone. In fact the older you are, the less people expect you to have attractive toned muscles, and the better you look in contrast to others in your age group. And you also get ancillaries: stronger arms that are more useful for living, and better overall health.

So get in the gym, create something beautiful, and by all means show it off, even if you are 80.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:31 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
QUOTE=Marc Paolella;33997062]Alrighty then. I think we've covered this topic adequately. If my rantings save this summer's Boardwalk from even one muffin top and one beer gut, this thread will not have been in vain.

But in the final analysis, all kidding aside, the correct answer to the original question is that you are never too old to go sleeveless. But it cannot be a bad idea to hit the gym and make those exposed arms show some muscle tone. In fact the older you are, the less people expect you to have attractive toned muscles, and the better you look in contrast to others in your age group. And you also get ancillaries: stronger arms that are more useful for living, and better overall health.

So get in the gym, create something beautiful, and by all means show it off, even if you are 80.[/quote]

Dude, I can lift 130 lb without any trouble, but my arms still look flabby. There are others in my age group who struggle to do 80 lb, but still have mucsle tone. I work out 5 days a week for 45 minutes every day. My arms might look flabby, but are capable of lifting heavy as well. So its not all about just going to the gym. There is more than that involved. How long should I wait to wear what I want. I have gained the strength, but it just does not show. I try my level best to create arm muscle and push limits. But it just does not happen. So I just try my best while appreciating my natural self. If my arms are still naturally soft and smooth after lots of effort, there is nothing I can do. I am typing this wearing a muscle tee anyway (as sleepwear), so go ahead and make my day.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 03-22-2014 at 09:46 PM..

Old 03-22-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Dude, I can lift 130 lb without any trouble, but my arms still look flabby. There are others in my age group who struggle to do 80 lb, but still have mucsle tone. I work out 5 days a week for 45 minutes every day. My arms might look flabby, but are capable of lifting heavy as well. So its not all about just going to the gym. There is more than that involved. How long should I wait to wear what I want. I have gained the strength, but it just does not show.
Ok, I'll take you at your word on the gym work, and am granting you dispensation. Henceforth, you are authorized to go sleeveless at your discretion. Especially work the triceps. They are large muscles and when fully developed will take up a lot of excess skin. It doesn't take much tricep bulk to stretch the skin tighter.

Exercises for Tightening Underarm Skin | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 03-22-2014, 10:27 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
They are large muscles and when fully developed will take up a lot of excess skin. It doesn't take much tricep bulk to stretch the skin tighter.

Exercises for Tightening Underarm Skin | LIVESTRONG.COM
Spoken like someone with male hormones.

Female hormones give you soft upper arms no matter how big your triceps are. And age, for any gender, means changes in the skin that transmute soft to dangly.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:32 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
Marc it sounds like you need to think about why you are so judgmental of others and why you care what a person you pass by is wearing. Often when someone is so critical of others it is because of their own insecurities.
I am a thin lady with thin arms which I don't feel comfortable wearing a sleeveless dress. I know others who are thin who feel this way so it is not always about size but it can be about shape but most of all depends on if one is comfortable in what they are wearing.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Marc it sounds like you need to think about why you are so judgmental of others and why you care what a person you pass by is wearing. Often when someone is so critical of others it is because of their own insecurities.
I am a thin lady with thin arms which I don't feel comfortable wearing a sleeveless dress. I know others who are thin who feel this way so it is not always about size but it can be about shape but most of all depends on if one is comfortable in what they are wearing.
Everyone is judgmental, including you. Judgmental is good, not bad, and we need more of it, not less. Expression of a judgment should be supported with rational explanation. Then others may agree or disagree, providing their reasoning.

So, ignoring the ad hominem, you expressed a judgment on yourself, and supported it. You feel your arms are unusually thin and do not look good in a sleeveless format, and thus you have made the personal decision not to display what you feel is not one of your best assets. I like that reasoning. Others should emulate that. Including me. I have guinea tees that I have been able to wear in the past, and intend to wear again. But not as I am configured at this hour. More gym time will be required, and I will make sure that happens before my next red carpet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty