Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it OK for a college professor to wear shorts and/or flip-flops?
Shorts and flip-flops are OK 49 41.88%
Shorts are OK, but they should be worn with shoes 11 9.40%
Flip-flops are OK, but they should be worn with jeans 3 2.56%
Neither are OK 54 46.15%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 05:12 PM

72 posts, read 231,611 times

Advertisements

As a TA and lab instructor I've always worn shorts and flip-flops during warm weather (which is most of the year here in central California), which is commonly accepted since I'm still a student myself. But next semester I may be actually teaching one or more courses at the same University that I am graduating from this semester. As far as I know, there is no specific dress code enforced for faculty, as I've had multiple professors wear shorts and sandals in the past. Assuming there is no specific dress code for faculty, what would be your opinion on this? As a student, would it bother you if you had a professor that wore shorts and/or flip-flops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 05:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Personally, I would find it odd. This is your professional career and you can't take the time to wear grown up pants or real shoes? Even a pair of nice jeans would suffice.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:23 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Personally, I would find it odd. This is your professional career and you can't take the time to wear grown up pants or real shoes? Even a pair of nice jeans would suffice.
Agreed. You want to look like a professional, not get mistaken for another student. You don't need to wear a suit or anything, but you should step it up a little.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:33 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,198,926 times
Its quite odd for a professor to wear shorts or flip flops into class and personally I have never seen it happen, but I am doing my Engineering undergraduate degree in New Jersey. Up here, even jeans are a rarity among professors, and many of them dress up with a shirt and tie.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:45 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
Absolutely not.

It would be extremely odd and unprofessional for a professor to wear shorts or flip flops. The message that your clothing would give is that you do not respect your students or your position. A professor is someone that students look up to. Your inappropriate clothing would undermine that. No matter how competent you are, such clothing would not engender respect from either your students or you colleagues.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:55 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Only if they are liberals, which most are. Can't work, teach.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:35 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
It's none of my business what professors wear. I'm more interested in what they have to say.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:41 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
I think it depends on the culture at the university where you teach. And sometimes the course you teach. Oceanography lab in San Diego is not the same as teaching Statistics in Boston. The rest depends on your level of confidence in your ability to separate yourself from your students.

I'd probably go with the thought that it's better to start off being less casual and lighten up after a bit if you feel it's appropriate.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,681,619 times
if i were a professor id want to be and look like someone the students could look up to but at the same time id also want to look down to earth and approachable.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:16 PM

559 posts, read 1,378,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volxen View Post
As a TA and lab instructor I've always worn shorts and flip-flops during warm weather (which is most of the year here in central California), which is commonly accepted since I'm still a student myself. But next semester I may be actually teaching one or more courses at the same University that I am graduating from this semester. As far as I know, there is no specific dress code enforced for faculty, as I've had multiple professors wear shorts and sandals in the past. Assuming there is no specific dress code for faculty, what would be your opinion on this? As a student, would it bother you if you had a professor that wore shorts and/or flip-flops?
I'm a Southern Californian and I've had professors wearing shorts and sandals. My experience is mainly in the sciences. I think I had a math TA who came in barefoot. Most faculty wear long pants (often jeans/khakis) and shoes (sneakers) or a dress, but some, usually older folks, wear a jacket or pantsuit.

Personally, I prefer the casual, comfortable look on faculty.

On the other hand, I hope you aren't in shorts and flip-flops in the lab, even with a lab coat. Cal-OSHA, along with your institution, strongly frowns on this.

I just don't understand this dress code stuff. As long as the teaching is good, I don't care what the prof is wearing. Same goes to CEOs, bank tellers, etc. Facial tattoos, mohawks, tie-dye, backward baseball caps, sweat pants, whatever is fine as long as the job gets done.

Why are people so hung up on what other people are wearing? This obsession with image seems so shallow.

Last edited by drunk on kool aid; 03-26-2014 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: formatting and addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty