Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2014, 05:16 PM

9,572 posts, read 20,704,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
For me growing up everyone wearing short shorts was the norm. Only difference was girls wore light colored shorts and guys wore dark colored ones. In fact id still rather wear short shorts than those culottes they try to push on us these days. I feel like a clown wearing those things.
Yeah haha...the trend might slowly be changing again, we'll see. Fashion always changes anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think most people want the other sex to be as different as possible from one's own. Not better or worse, but simply different. Opposites attract as they say.

Someone said that in nature males are often the more colorful looking ones and females the bland ones. That might be, but we are humans, not animals. Those are cultural values we are talking about. A peacock can't do anything about the way it looks, it is just genes expressing themselves. We, however, can deliberately decide what we want to look like and how we want to come across.

In humans I agree that homophobia has a lot to do with it. It is interesting that many men in fashion and beauty industries are gay. A "feminine" man might be funny in a comedy, but in real life more often than not he is met with pity, mocking, disdain etc.
I don't really buy the whole 'opposites attract' thing...I mean if you consider males and females 'opposite' then yeah, but most people I see together are fairly similar. I think we're more designed to be conditioned - by both biology and society and culture, which could be seen as extension of that, to view certain traits as attractive.

Yeah especially in Anglo societies. From a young age girls are raised to be pretty, like pretty things, while boys like more practical or action stuff.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:36 PM

25,903 posts, read 24,615,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I don't really buy the whole 'opposites attract' thing...I mean if you consider males and females 'opposite' then yeah, but most people I see together are fairly similar. I think we're more designed to be conditioned - by both biology and society and culture, which could be seen as extension of that, to view certain traits as attractive.

Yeah especially in Anglo societies. From a young age girls are raised to be pretty, like pretty things, while boys like more practical or action stuff.
In other cultures it is even worse, all those countries ending in -stan for instance, Muslim countries...

Similar in what way? Package or content?

Old 03-29-2014, 05:55 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,327,288 times
Quote:
Maybe we all are, I mean in many species that seems the case. If anything males moreso than females.
You're generalizing. I'm female & have never been attracted to another female. Regarding bisexuality... is the issue here that you're trying to come to terms with being bi/gay? If so, do you really need strangers to agree with you in order to come out? Do what you feel is appropriate in your life. Why is that difficult for you?

Old 03-29-2014, 05:57 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,663,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
You're generalizing. I'm female & have never been attracted to another female. Regarding bisexuality... is the issue here that you're trying to come to terms with being bi/gay? If so, do you really need strangers to agree with you in order to come out? Do what you feel is appropriate in your life. Why is that difficult for you?
Until you have to deal with a gender identity disorder youll never understand it.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:01 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,663,090 times
I was just talking to a friend of mine the other day about all of this. We pretty much came to the simple conclusion that women are homophobic and men are gay. By this i mean that women are the ones to say "i want a real man"; Homophobia. Men on the other hand just want to have fun with people who are simply "one of the guys"; gay.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In other cultures it is even worse, all those countries ending in -stan for instance, Muslim countries...

Similar in what way? Package or content?
Well personality, even looks to a degree (just different genders of course). There's a theory that we're attracted to mates moderately different from us, to offer just enough genetic diversity or something.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Well maybe we've been conditioned out of it, although I feel the stigma regarding male homosexuality is greater because penetrative sex is seen as more 'real' than female-female sex acts. Either way, I think we're mostly straight but with the potential to be situationally homosexual (e.g. if the OS isn't available and we just need to relieve that drive).

I don't have any issues with my sexuality or gender identity, why does it have to affect me to ask about it? Well wait it does affect all males so it does effect me.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I was just talking to a friend of mine the other day about all of this. We pretty much came to the simple conclusion that women are homophobic and men are gay. By this i mean that women are the ones to say "i want a real man"; Homophobia. Men on the other hand just want to have fun with people who are simply "one of the guys"; gay.
Interesting way of looking at things...

Old 03-29-2014, 06:08 PM

25,903 posts, read 24,615,873 times
Quote:
Well personality, even looks to a degree (just different genders of course). There's a theory that we're attracted to mates moderately different from us, to offer just enough genetic diversity or something.
Yes, I have heard of such theories, but for whatever reason a lot of people seem to be exceptions. Including myself, I am white, but I have always been attracted to black women for whatever reason. Judging from all the mixed relationships out there a lot of people seem to feel that way.

But I agree that in terms of character etc. it is probably better to be similar in order to ensure long-term compatibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty