Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:56 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times

Advertisements

50+ - grocery store, getting a bottle of wine. Guess it's some store policy to check everyone's ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 09:15 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
New Tennessee Law Says All Alcohol Buyers Will Be Carded - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 03-29-2014, 09:18 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Being carded at 40 may be the greatest moment of my life.
Pretty much anyone where I live can expect to get carded, even senior citizens. Businesses can get in tons of trouble if they aren't carding when they should. This isn't new

At the grocery store I think there is some sort of trigger when the cashier scans an item that prompts her to ask for ID.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
I'm 65+, last carded recently when I bought wine at the store. The cashier seemed a little embarrassed at carding me, but I didn't mind at all. It's the law and I whole-heartedly support that.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:26 PM

249 posts, read 424,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Whether its to buy beer or set foot on a military base it all boils down to one thing: its the law. Either way, youre still having to get out your ID. Dont like either one you can turn around and go away.
If I lived in a state where that were the law and not just a wrongheaded policy, I would move. Seriously.

Since basically any meetup with friends or after-work dinner might lead to alcohol being consumed, such a law (particularly the "customer's entire party" variation) would effectively mean that people would feel compelled carry government identification with them on a daily basis. That's not a free society; that's a nation of subjects and not citizens.

(And apologies to those of you who didn't want this turning political -- but there's no other way it could go, because "carding" really has little to do with beauty or looking young. Pretending that it does, and getting people to feel "flattered" when a cashier implies that they might be 20 or under, is part of why these policies are so insidious.)

Old 03-29-2014, 11:23 PM

Everyone "is" required to carry government identification: its called a Driver's License.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
35. My then- 29 year old sister didn't, and got pissed.

I also have to give ID every time I set foot on the military base where my husband works, every time I use the commissary or NEX, and if I use the medical services at the VA. But that's obviously not age verification, it's verification of access priveleges.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
If I lived in a state where that were the law and not just a wrongheaded policy, I would move. Seriously.

Since basically any meetup with friends or after-work dinner might lead to alcohol being consumed, such a law (particularly the "customer's entire party" variation) would effectively mean that people would feel compelled carry government identification with them on a daily basis. That's not a free society; that's a nation of subjects and not citizens.

(And apologies to those of you who didn't want this turning political -- but there's no other way it could go, because "carding" really has little to do with beauty or looking young. Pretending that it does, and getting people to feel "flattered" when a cashier implies that they might be 20 or under, is part of why these policies are so insidious.)
Well then i guess its a good thing you live in Japan.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:32 PM

249 posts, read 424,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Everyone "is" required to carry government identification: its called a Driver's License.
Everyone? Only if you're driving a car. Passengers, pedestrians, bicyclists, train riders, bus riders... not so much.

The only identification I own that would satisfy these liquor stores is my US passport, and that is kept in a locked safe unless I'm traveling on an airplane.

Maybe you drive everywhere you go and have your driver's license with you every time you leave home, and being carded is just a matter of taking that thing out of your pocket and then going back to your car and locking the doors. For everyone else, carrying legally-binding identification is a little dangerous because we don't live in a world where lost wallets are returned and there's no such thing as muggers or pickpockets who might take stuff from you. Leaving such things in a safe place is only common sense.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:35 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
The last time I got carded was when I was 64, believe it or not. I was buying some wine at Trader Joe's. The young cashier explained that they were being asked to check all ID for liquor purchases, no matter what. I burst out laughing, produced my driver's license which proved that I was more than three times the legal drinking age, and then thanked him for making my day. I haven't felt that young in ages! I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the night.

The last time I'd been carded before that was in a bar when I was 25 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty