Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

[color="Red"]Mod cut: Off topic.

What's ironic about the fake glasses fad is I had more than one patient come into our practice soon after he/she started wearing these with a real need for a weak Rx. Perhaps their wishful thinking rubbed off on their eyeball length

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-07-2014 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 10:15 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Some people think they look better in glasses. Let them be, it harms nobody.
I agree. And some people really do look better with glasses. There are worse ways to spend your money.

I only have one problem with them. Fashion/style glasses have almost taken over the market to the point where someone who needs glasses, especially trifocals, cannot get the frames they need. For a while, all the frames in the optical shop near me were too small for trifocals. The manager of the shop agreed that style is causing a problem for those needing certain frame.

That said, I see nothing wrong with someone wearing plain glass glasses if they like them. People wear ear rings. Those are not necessary either. Bracelets instead of watches?

As biktoptrvl said, they aren't harming anyone. Find a real worry if worry you must.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:26 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'll defer to your expertise, but I can say, as someone whose prescription is way over +/-10 is that the distortion is very obvious. My lenses are thick, even with the advancements. I've had people say "you know, you can get thinner lenses," and I tell them, "I know, these *are* the thin lenses."
Well yeah, someone with a high level of correction may have lenses that are obviously prescription lenses. But what about those with only minor correction? You can't tell. So are you going to look at someone with +/-3.00 lenses and scorn them because you assume that they aren't prescription lenses?

Old 04-06-2014, 10:33 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
How interesting. May I ask if you wear contacts? Have you considered getting LASIK? Many people don't want LASIK or are nervous about it. I had a few patients like that. However, few people aren't candidates for it anymore.
I normally wear (RGP) contacts, but I'll sometimes wear my glasses out and about to give my eyeballs a break. Whenever I've brought up LASIK, my doctor has said that my prescription fluctuates just enough that it's not an option. It's fine, I've had bad eyes since kindergarten and I'm used to glasses/contacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Well yeah, someone with a high level of correction may have lenses that are obviously prescription lenses. But what about those with only minor correction? You can't tell. So are you going to look at someone with +/-3.00 lenses and scorn them because you assume that they aren't prescription lenses?
Me? No. Like someone said above, glasses are fashion accessories. That's why there are rooms full of different styles and choices. If someone who doesn't need glasses wants to wear some fun frames, who cares?

Old 04-06-2014, 11:05 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Ya know, this is kinda like getting upset at people who buy shoes with a high arch support but dont really need them. Why would anyone care? How would anyone know? Does it really affect lives that much?

Old 04-06-2014, 01:18 PM

609 posts, read 808,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
People wearing non prescription glasses for fashion or otherwise does not affect me. As such, I don't care and it is none of my business.
I agree. I would never stop a stranger on the street or anything.....but when my best friend of 20 years (with 20/20 vision) bought fake hipster glasses, I refused to hang out with him or talk to him while he wore them. We both had a good laugh about it.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I've worn glasses since I was 8 years old, and am functionally blind without them. I have contacts that I seldom wear, because I look much better in glasses. I can see how someone might choose to wear non-prescrip glasses if they feel they look better with glasses on. Some people just DO look better in frames than not.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Yep. My sister's correction is minor, and she only needs to wear them for reading and prefers to wear them for driving. There is no visible distortion. It's just a very slight correction, unlike mine, which are obviously prescription lenses.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:03 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'll defer to your expertise, but I can say, as someone whose prescription is way over +/-10 is that the distortion is very obvious. My lenses are thick, even with the advancements. I've had people say "you know, you can get thinner lenses," and I tell them, "I know, these *are* the thin lenses."
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing... I'm sure you (the other poster) know more than we do, but at least with certain types of lenses & older glasses you can tell! Mine show some distortion, but I do have a weird prescription - mostly astigmatic correction, and I'm also far-sighted as opposed to the more common near-sightedness.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:05 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Ya know, this is kinda like getting upset at people who buy shoes with a high arch support but dont really need them. Why would anyone care? How would anyone know? Does it really affect lives that much?
No, and I don't think anyone is saying it matters that much - or that they shouldn't be allowed to wear them. We're just discussing the trend, and giving our opinions on it. Is that okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty