Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 08:51 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,930,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I do agree that it depends on where you live. I'm in Colorado and while it's true there appears to be more people here who are fit or at least of normal weight, I still see quite a few overweight people. I'm from Chicago though and honestly I'm amazed at the number of overweight people I see there. I'm shocked that Chicago is not among the fattest cities of America.

Or perhaps we just have different standards of what is considered fat. To me, one doesn't have to be tipping the scales at 250 or more to look/be fat.
Without a doubt. That is why I mentioned perception. I agree that one need not weigh 250 to look fat. Also someone who does weigh 250 may not look fat. There are so many body types and fitness levels that two people can be the same height and weight and look entirely different. I looked at your pic (hope you don't mind me peeking) and you look to be in pretty elite shape. Your perceptions are likely based on your own elite condition as people tend to normalize to themselves. I'm not in elite shape for males in my age group, but I'd put myself well above average. Still, what I consider to "look fat" may be less inclusive than your view. In other words, my "average" is probably a wider margin than yours. Just a thought.

I agree with you about Chicago, too. Not from any prolonged in-depth experience there, but from a road trip last summer that brought me through there. We ordered a pizza to our hotel room and ! When the guy handed me the box I was surprised at how heavy it was. One slice was way more than I needed. It was awesome, too. Unlike all the "Chicago style" pizza I've had before. If this is what they're serving up there, I'm not sure how anyone keeps the pounds off!

Last edited by iknowftbll; 04-18-2014 at 09:00 AM..

Old 04-18-2014, 08:55 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,930,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Overweight and people that dont' exercise are still FAR more likely to have cellulite. Period.
That point was made on the link you quoted and repeated throughout this thread. You are not introducing anything new to this conversation. But overweight people are not the only one's who have cellulite. That meritless argument has been made several times on this thread and it is dead wrong.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:00 AM

2,828 posts, read 4,319,953 times
Cellulite shows up in the women in our swimming pool at the gym as a marked contrast in cultures. We have two cultures there, Asian and American. The Asian women -mostly middle aged and old - are thin by our standards and, with very few exceptions, don't show cellulite in their legs. The American women in the pool, sad to say, are mostly heavy, quite a few are obese, and the cellulose is visibly abundant and unbecoming. These are middle-aged and older ladies. Some have a very difficult time just walking around the pool due to their weight. The overweight men also have difficulty getting around by the way, and we have quite a few that fit this category.

I have had discussions with my Asian friends about this, and they say that one of the first things that amazed them when they first got here was the size of the people and how everyone eats meat in just about all their meals. They tell me that in their countries where most everyone is poor, they only had meat occasionally, and it was used sparingly when it was available. Most of their meals are vegetable and rice based. I was surprised when they said they also ate rice and beans because I thought that was mostly a Latin-American dish. They also walked a lot because there was no money for cars and gas. In contrast, unless you live in a large metropolitan city here, you rely on the car to get you to most, if not all places. They also said that things are changing back home with the introduction of American fast food places and the availability of the American diet (hamburgers, pizza, fried chicken, etc). And the changes are not for the best from a health standpoint.

Most of us have grown up with ingredients like butter, margarine, milk, cream, beef, chicken, pork, cheese, etc. as an important part of our diets. They are readily available and give taste to our dishes. We are conditioned to that since these ingredients are used in just about every meal that we consume. In time, with the high calorie foods and lack of physical activity, we gain the pounds, especially the fat. And that gets us back to cellulite.

That's all cellulite is.... nothing other than fat. It's the layer of fat right under the skin. The more fat in this layer, the more likely it is to push out against the skin as dimples and bumps. It's true that you don't have to be overweight to have cellulite. It may just be the place where you, by your genetics, deposit fat. But, regardless, you can still reduce some of it with diet and exercise. But it's never easy undoing a lifetime's work of work.

Last edited by nezlie; 04-18-2014 at 09:08 AM..

Old 04-18-2014, 09:02 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,284,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My experience and everything I've read note that there are treatments that can temporarily diminish the appearance of cellulite, but that's really all.

I would be open to visible proof that someone can have cellulite, and then lose it, I've just never seen it. Not even in cases of dramatic weight loss. If there was cellulite there before, there's cellulite after. I guess if I'd ever known of a single instance where cellulite had been present and then vanished, I'd be more inclined to buy into it, but like I said, that hasn't happened.
I've had cellulite age 20's-early 30's...then exercised like crazy and ate nutritiously for months, years, and the cellulite was gone. Rock hard muscular butt & thighs and whole body.

Age 38 my activity level gradually declined, my eating habits started to slide (hmm, yummy cake & ice cream), and the cellulite came back. Not grotesquely fat, just not rock hard muscles all over any more.

It takes high maintenance for a woman to keep cellulite at bay. Lots of RUNNING, SQUATS, LUNGES, YOGA, WEIGHT LIFTING. Foods...low-no sugar, no trans-fats. Focus on foods that grow from the earth. And salmon & tuna & mackarel. THAT is how to have no cellulite. It is possible.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:15 AM

686 posts, read 1,225,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I've had cellulite age 20's-early 30's...then exercised like crazy and ate nutritiously for months, years, and the cellulite was gone. Rock hard muscular butt & thighs and whole body.

Age 38 my activity level gradually declined, my eating habits started to slide (hmm, yummy cake & ice cream), and the cellulite came back. Not grotesquely fat, just not rock hard muscles all over any more.

It takes high maintenance for a woman to keep cellulite at bay. Lots of RUNNING, SQUATS, LUNGES, YOGA, WEIGHT LIFTING. Foods...low-no sugar, no trans-fats. Focus on foods that grow from the earth. And salmon & tuna & mackarel. THAT is how to have no cellulite. It is possible.
This ^^ Thank you Zelpha for directing this thread back toward its original topic.

I think we can conclude that:

YES - most men find cellulite a turnoff.

Yes - most women are mad that men here say its a turnoff

Yes - BMI is baloney

YES - Cellulite is not exclusive to the obese. Young and skinny people can have it too. But it IS a direct result of p*ss poor eating habits and lack of exercise. The young/skinny people who have are on a direct course to being young and fat due to their eating habits and lack of exercise.

YES - cellulite is genetic but it CAN be eliminated and/or prevented. I had a girlfriend years ago who was from a family of fatties (as she always called it). She knew that she had the genes to become obese. Her mom was obese, sisters, brothers, etc. but she LIVED an extremely athletic lifestyle. She ran, lifted weights, ate right, workout out at LEAST an hour a day (sometimes 3 or more) and NEVER had any of the cellulite or fatness that her family had. She had the "Crossfit Body" before there was a Crossfit Body.

Cellulite is unattractive. Just like obesity is physically unattractive. Just like flat booties are unattractive. Just like pot bellies are unattractive. Just deal with it people and stop getting angry and/or attacking people who say that its unattractive.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post

Zelpha, the interesting thing that I see among the Asian women in our gym is that they don't do any high maintenance work and yet stay slim. They come into the pool to mainly socialize, a few swim some laps but not the majority. They mostly stand around in the water and chat in small groups. Do you think that high maintenance is necessary for American women because it's easier for them to fall back to the high calorie foods they are accustomed to? That's something that the Asian women don't have to look forward to.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:22 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,353,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Those who are predisposed to have cellulite will. Absolutely.

But, even if those same people are thinner and more toned, they will still have cellulite. Just less of it and it won't be as noticeable.
Exactly, people who are thin and toned/exercise will have less that won't be as noticeable.

On thin people I typically see cellulite being far more common on the thin people that have dropped a ton of weight and have loose skin that also has cellulite in it, because it's so loose. I know some people very very few and far between can't help that they get so overweight, some pregnancies, those .1% with thyroid issues, but I often truly wonder if some people so heavily overweight realize the what the are doing to their skin is irreversible no matter how much weight they lose.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:23 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,709,568 times
To grossly over simplify things and stereotype, cellulite is more common in women who "store their weight in their lower half" aka pear or hourglass shaped women. Women who are apple or banana shaped rarely have cellulite, because they have thin legs. Most Asian women trend towards apple or banana shaped and do not store fat in their lower bodies (they have straighter figures).

This is where genetics come in, the presence of cellulite has a big relationship to body shape.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
To grossly over simplify things and stereotype, cellulite is more common in women who "store their weight in their lower half" aka pear or hourglass shaped women. Women who are apple or banana shaped rarely have cellulite, because they have thin legs. Most Asian women trend towards apple or banana shaped and do not store fat in their lower bodies (they have straighter figures).

This is where genetics come in, the presence of cellulite has a big relationship to body shape.
Jade, do you discount their traditional diet as a factor? By the way, one of my Asian friends says that they (the husband and wife) both like to eat snacks in the evening now while watching tv (something they never did in their country) and think that has put on some pounds on both of them.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:50 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,709,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Jade, do you discount their traditional diet as a factor? By the way, one of my Asian friends says that they (the husband and wife) both like to eat snacks in the evening now while watching tv (something they never did in their country) and think that has put on some pounds on both of them.
Yes. Have you ever seen a chubby Asian girl or one with a sturdy build? 90% are apple shaped, they gain in their mid sections and have a wider back and shoulders. Small hips and thinner or muscular legs. Typical Asians builds are slim hipped.

Traditional eating patterns and lifestyles keep them slimmer. Genetics minimizes cellulite since they don't gain much below the waist.

By the same token most apple shaped ladies, even larger ones, do not have cellulite at all. They have a weight buffer much much much higher than people with hippier builds. Hippy women have zero buffer for cellulite. Probably 15-18% body fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.