Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2014, 10:53 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times

Advertisements

Have you ever gotten caught in a coat that you could not zip open and get out of? Have you ever had a coat that you couldn't even get zipped up in the first place? I wish I'd seen this before I returned the coat that I'd bought because the zipper didn't work. Here is an education for you from New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/19/op...pper.html?_r=0

I had begun to suspect it was only coats with two pieces at the bottom but it never occurred to me why? I'm still not sure I have it straight but there is a reason for those two pieces. All I can say is why don't these double-zip coats have instructions with them? Better question: Why do they bother with such? Why not just a plain old-fashioned zipper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 12:07 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Have you ever gotten caught in a coat that you could not zip open and get out of? Have you ever had a coat that you couldn't even get zipped up in the first place? I wish I'd seen this before I returned the coat that I'd bought because the zipper didn't work. Here is an education for you from New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/19/op...pper.html?_r=0

I had begun to suspect it was only coats with two pieces at the bottom but it never occurred to me why? I'm still not sure I have it straight but there is a reason for those two pieces. All I can say is why don't these double-zip coats have instructions with them? Better question: Why do they bother with such? Why not just a plain old-fashioned zipper?
I have honestly never met someone that was not aware of two-way zippers and how to zip them. Really? You didn't know what it was when you bought you coat?

If I buy a zippered coat that is longer then waist length, these zippers are great when you have to sit down in the coat (either in a car or sporting event).

I even have a light layering jacket that has one...but it's use is more style than actual practicality.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I have honestly never met someone that was not aware of two-way zippers and how to zip them. Really? You didn't know what it was when you bought you coat?

If I buy a zippered coat that is longer then waist length, these zippers are great when you have to sit down in the coat (either in a car or sporting event).

I even have a light layering jacket that has one...but it's use is more style than actual practicality.
Well, meet more of us. My three neighbors here and two friends that I've sent that to never heard such.

In fact, I just tried it on my winter coat - unzipping from the bottom. It didn't work. The bottom zipper would not more upward. Maybe I cured it when I once got locked into it and couldn't unzip it.

A zipper has always been a very simple affair. Why complicate it? Your point about when it is useful I can see, though. I just unzip the whole coat. Whatever works. Give me the simple life.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:

I am back with a question. Is the zipper on your coat plastic? Someone just told me that only plastic zippers would do that, not metal ones. My coats both have metal zippers with those two pull pieces. Another coat has only one pull piece and it works fine. Just the two with two pieces to pull get locked up.

So, is yours plastic?

Old 04-20-2014, 06:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Yeah, I had to read the article posted in the OP twice because I was trying to figure out what it was talking about. Who needs instructions on how to zip up a two-way zipper?Its not really all that different then any other zipper that comes on a coat, you insert the right side all the way down the left side zippers and pull the top one up. How else would people think they work? My current coat doesn't have the two-way zipper, but I have had coats in the past that did. Not once have I ever got stuck in a coat and had to pull it off over my head. Although that has happened a few times with dresses that have just the single zipper and I get the zipper stuck in some fabric while trying to zip it up from behind. But with a coat? The zipper is right in front of you to see exactly what is going on.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:05 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
So you can get into your pockets easier, sit or move around easier without the jacket getting in the way (3/4 length), take a leak without unzipping the entire jacket. It's a zipper. You just use it like a zipper. Start at the bottom, line both zippers up, zip up the top one. Done.

All zippers since eternity have had a tendency to get caught on fabric. Since you're only moving one zipper at a time, it's pretty obviously no more likely to get caught than a regular zipper. The solution is simple. Stop yanking at it and just pull the piece of liner that got caught out before it's too late and you have to resort to pencils and soap to unjam the thing. Only in New York City would men need directions on operating a zipper.

Last edited by Malloric; 04-20-2014 at 07:17 PM..

Old 04-20-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I am back with a question. Is the zipper on your coat plastic? Someone just told me that only plastic zippers would do that, not metal ones. My coats both have metal zippers with those two pull pieces. Another coat has only one pull piece and it works fine. Just the two with two pieces to pull get locked up.

So, is yours plastic?
I have two items that have plastic two-way zippers...and one that is metal. I asked my daughter, because I know she has some outdoor gear with this style of zippers...and she says both of hers are plastic. So the nylon/plastic ones do seem more common from a small sample.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yeah, I had to read the article posted in the OP twice because I was trying to figure out what it was talking about. Who needs instructions on how to zip up a two-way zipper?Its not really all that different then any other zipper that comes on a coat, you insert the right side all the way down the left side zippers and pull the top one up. How else would people think they work? My current coat doesn't have the two-way zipper, but I have had coats in the past that did. Not once have I ever got stuck in a coat and had to pull it off over my head. Although that has happened a few times with dresses that have just the single zipper and I get the zipper stuck in some fabric while trying to zip it up from behind. But with a coat? The zipper is right in front of you to see exactly what is going on.
I had a dress that I actually cut myself out of (side seam - so I could repair it with no damage) because the stupid one way zipper just would NOT work. (Replaced the zipper while I was at it!).

I called my Mom for the holiday today...mentioned this (we all sew so zipper questions are not 'that' odd...lol) and she says she's been aware of two ended zippers since at least the 1970s...and reminded me that my favorite leather jacket back in the early 80s had one. (We had to replaced it for bent teeth - I do remember that.)

Old 04-21-2014, 06:43 AM

Thank you, Scarlett. That's what my friend said - that the author's solution of opening it from the bottom works with plastic zippers but not with metal zippers. It would certainly have its advantages, especially when sitting for long periods in a car or on bleachers. I can see that.

As for "everyone knows", I think I'll skip that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty